Bose 901

mcullinan

Re: Bose 901
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2007, 04:29 pm »
I think the first thing that the Grateful Dead stand for is appreciation of great music. Its funny because I used to be one of those people who disliked the dead, probably for similiar reasons. No amount of drugs in the world would have kept throngs of people listening to bad horrible music. I would say they are the best jamband (Live show) ever. And Jerrys voice was incredible but we will just have to agree to differ. Bobs warnt so bad either.

An incredible bunch of musicians..
M

And Bose blowing is a proven fact. Dont act like you dont know.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2007, 06:47 pm »
if someone takes offense to the bose comments, then they are yust not educated to objective scientific facts, re: engineering, sound propagation, driver & crossover technology, frequency response, etc.  and, they obviously have never heard what good reproduced sound can be like.  this, coming from someone who bought a pair of 901's back in 1969.

but, disrespecting the grateful dead is completely different.  the band was musically & technologically at the forefront of folk-rock music, & not yust from a live band perspective, but also from a broadcast/recording perspective.  the grateful dead, without doubt had the best sound set-up of any popular music group, PERIOD.  they went out of their way to make sure everyone, even in arena or stadium type environments, was able to hear an accurate undistorted full-range sound.  the reason was twofold - partly for their fans who wanted to tape their shows.  (have you ever heard dics pics? many of these are some of the finest audio quality cd's ever made - from amateur fans making tapes at their shows.)  the other reasons was because they wanted all their fans at the show to enjoy the sound.  the dead's sound system was so well-known thruout the industry that even stereophile magazine did a feature article about it years ago, before s'phile became the ad-whore it is today.

jerry garcia, besides being a phenomenal songwriter, & acoustic & electric guitar player, was also one of the best banjo players ever.  you may not like the grateful dead, you may not like their singing.  that's ok - i can't stand barbara streisand, or johnny mathis, but i cannot argue with people who think that they are amongst the greatest vocalists of all time. 

comparing the grateful dead to bose is ludicrous - the dead is one of the best bands of all time.  whether or not you like them is another matter altogether.

ymmv,

doug s.

Somebody out there has probably taken offense at the Bose comments. You're both in the same boat.

The best band ever comment is very difficult to support. If you were to say they had the most loyal following ever, I think you would not find an argument anywhere. Their vocals make Neil Young sound like Pavoratti. If it weren't for drugs and the mass euphoria that permeated their concert venues, they wouldn't have become known outside of SanFran. Mostly just a right place/right time phenomena.

I used to have a Deadhead living at my house back in the 80s and he would actually receive calls on my phone in the middle of the night alerting him to a detailed reading of the playlist from a concert someone had just attended in another part of the country. Ridiculous obsession. Religious zealotry. Nonsense. News from the front. These guys were in their 30s. Basically another marketing triumph. Inferior product with unwarranted adulation. Highest paid cover band in history.

martyo

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul 2007, 07:09 pm »
Doug and my ole punk budy from yesterday mcullinan (Ratdog and Keller)  :thumb: Technically the DEAD set the standard for quite awhile and also had many "firsts". They were pretty big in the integrity department too. Today on a few threads on this here Audio Circle I've been reminded why I like THECHAIRGUY'S SIGNATURE so much:

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain aa

mcullinan

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jul 2007, 07:32 pm »
Thank goodness, I was feeling lonely like the world had gone crazy! hehe Yes Jerry was a fantastic guitarist and he had a wittle finger too. So you people with chopped off fingers stop complaining and pick up a guitar!

The Grateful Dead studio albums (except the Workingmans Dead) reflect the worst the Dead has to offer. Just skip them and download some live sets or pick up Dicks Picks CDs and you will hear the magic they possess.
Mike
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2007, 07:50 pm by mcullinan »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jul 2007, 07:45 pm »
Thank goodness, I was feeling lonely like the world had gone crazy! hehe Yes Jerry was a fantastic guitarist and he had a wittle finger too. So you people with chopped off fingers stop complaining and pick up a guitar!

The Grateful Dead studio albums reflect the worst the Dead has to offer. Just skip them and download some live sets or pick up Dicks Picks CDs and you will hear the magic they possess.
Mike
sorry, workingman's dead is one of my fave albums...   :wink:

doug s.

mcullinan

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jul 2007, 07:50 pm »
See above. I need to keep my 1 friend on this forum! lol
M

Bigfish

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jul 2007, 07:59 pm »
Guys:

I never caught on to the Grateful Dead in my youth and have not listened to them in years.  I would like to seriously try them again.  What album would you recommend to get me hooked?

Thanks,

Ken

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jul 2007, 08:10 pm »
Guys:

I never caught on to the Grateful Dead in my youth and have not listened to them in years.  I would like to seriously try them again.  What album would you recommend to get me hooked?

Thanks,

Ken
as i stated before, one of my fave albums is workingman's dead.  american beauty is right there w/workingman's dead, imo...  for their later stuff, i really enjoy shakedown street.  europe '72 is a great live album.  dick's pick's is a series of released live-concert recordings, on cd; i have heard wonderful stuff on dicks picks from some of my more dead-head oriented friends, but i am not familiar with which ones would be the choicest picks.  but, i bet you could learn more if you did a web search.   :wink:

doug s.

mcullinan

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jul 2007, 08:18 pm »
Go here: bt.etree.org
Lots of great live Dead shows, plus tons of other bands! Read the reviews of the shows, more than enough to get started. Its free.
Mike

martyo

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jul 2007, 09:18 pm »
If you like DVD's, Downhill From Here is an excellent snapshot of the band in '89, at their favorite summertime venue during the '80's. Excellent China Cat/Know You Rider and Deal among many others.
I agree with both the guys in that most of their studio albums were pretty flat, especially compared to the live energy, but I still REALLY like Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, which happens to be a very good recording. Also for streaming the Archive.org on the Internet. Other live Cd's I would recommend "Without a Net", "Dozin' at the Nick", and the Dick's Picks which you can preview on the Archive. Net and Nick and Downhill all have very good sound quality. The Dick's are soundboard tapes and they vary alot in quality. If you would want some specific shows on the archive, PM me

caddisgeek

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jul 2007, 10:48 pm »

Interesting, discussion of Bose speakers turns into a love/hate fest for the Greatful Dead. First to gety opinions out of the way, I cant stand the Greatful Dead, I thinbk they are mindnumbingly boring, but I dont think there music is bad, I dont think any music is bad, just music you like and music you dont like. I cant stand Bob Dylan (and I have tried hard to like him, but I just dont), but I understand what a legend he is and the influence his music has had on  popular culture and will continue to do so. I think things get a bit silly when we say 'this band is the best' or this 'band is better than that band' because (without trying to be a wanker) music is art, not sport ands its value is subjective.  I'm glad we all like different stuff, and can be passionate about it, things woyuld be a bit boring if we all liked the same stuff

Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath is also missing the tops of all his fingers on his left hand, and the jazz guitar legend Django Reinhardt had a deformed left hand after being burt in a fire. His second and third fingers were fused together. If music was sport, I'd say Dajngo was probably the greatest guitarist ever to live (possibly second to Hendrix), but music aint sport!

Should this move to the music circle?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 19 Jul 2007, 11:42 pm »
May as well. Bose 901 became Dead 101.

martyo

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jul 2007, 12:17 am »
 :thankyou:

mcullinan

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jul 2007, 12:33 am »
I apoligize for the hijacking of Flight 901.
Mike

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:35 am »
You didn't hijack it -- you crashed it. It's dead.

mcullinan

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jul 2007, 02:02 am »
There are few survivors... we are a group barely alive. Our plane ripped apart by shards of rock and ice. We are thousands of miles from any signs of life and have no way to communicate as the plane's cb radio was rattled to pieces upon landing. No food. I look at the last survivors. Seven died during impact. A leg lies up on the hill frozen solid from the -60 below temperatures. Frankly it looks delicious. Now if I only had some ketchup. I will eat soon, it is my way.
Mike aa

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 20 Jul 2007, 03:29 am »
I resisted earlier my thought that Deadheads are given to fantasy but this last post has forced my hand. It appears that the same mechanism which creates this kind of plane crash circumstance in your mind also provides you with a musical experience that isn't happening. Perhaps that is why I have never known a Deadhead who wasn't also a Star Trek devotee. Music fiction and science fiction apparently attract the same  mesmerized souls.

When jam band fans grow up they turn to jazz.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #37 on: 20 Jul 2007, 03:46 am »
Now....which one of Dick's Picks was the best ?  :jester:

rabpaul

« Reply #38 on: 20 Jul 2007, 05:28 am »
The last time I heard this was like 20 years ago driven by a DIY valve amp. If the room is right e.g 16 x 20, these speakers will produce a presense that's quite unmatched. Get the placement or the room wrong and they will suck bigtime. http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/425/

Papajin

« Reply #39 on: 20 Jul 2007, 06:16 am »
I dont think any music is bad, just music you like and music you dont like.

Apparently you never heard Charles Manson's LP..... Oh garbage dump.... oh garbage dump.... why do they call you a garbage dump.... (Actual lyrics!)