I need some Aaron Copeland -- recommendations?

craig in SD

I need some Aaron Copeland -- recommendations?
« on: 14 Jul 2013, 03:00 pm »
Don't own any recordings of his music, wish I did, seeking recommendations.  Good performances and good recording quality take equal footing.

dougme57

Re: I need some Aaron Copeland -- recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2013, 02:49 am »
When I want some Copland I listen to: Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Louis Lane / Aaron Copland: Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man

I also lie ELP's rendition.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2013, 03:25 am »
When I want some Copland I listen to: Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Louis Lane / Aaron Copland: Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man

That's a good one to start with.  Are you looking for cd, hi rez, lp???

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2013, 04:39 am »
I am no classical expert, but I do enjoy Keith Johnson's Copeland recording: Fanfare, Appalacian Spring, and The Third Symphony from Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra, on Reference Recordings.
Would love to hear from some classical experts on "best" performances/recordings of the Third Symphony (and high res PCM or DSD would be nice).   I know, I know, the best performances are often the worst recordings...

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2013, 04:49 am »
I have always enjoyed the Bernstein/NYP. It is nice on vinyl.

Alan

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2013, 05:06 am »
Here's something a little bit out of the ordinary from Aaron. (Don't miss the last verse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2Dr7Fw6qQ

acresm22

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2013, 12:41 am »
This one is a must-have:

http://www.amazon.com/Copland-The-Music-America-Aaron/dp/B000003CZE

Great performance, great sound quality. Highly recommended.

Ern Dog

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2013, 01:46 am »
I am no classical expert, but I do enjoy Keith Johnson's Copeland recording: Fanfare, Appalacian Spring, and The Third Symphony from Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra, on Reference Recordings.
Would love to hear from some classical experts on "best" performances/recordings of the Third Symphony (and high res PCM or DSD would be nice).   I know, I know, the best performances are often the worst recordings...

I have this and it is a top notch HDCD recording.  Sounds excellent even if you don't have a HDCD player.

ruben090962

I would get the Keith Johnson first, then Bernstein and MTT
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2013, 12:47 am »
[I love the one from Reference Recordings that was recommended earlier. The sound despite the fact that is just a HDCD is excellent. It has become my standard for appalachian spring.

craig in SD

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2013, 01:48 am »
Wow, thanks for the excellent recommendations, and apologies for the long delay in my response.  (After some work drama, I actually forgot I posted this.)

I actually prefer to download my music these days, so looking for downloadable formats.  I don't care to pay a premium for hi-rez, necessarily, but do want high quality recording.

The Reference Recordings recommendation looks really good, and is available at HD Tracks for a reasonable price.  I'm trying to download it right now, but they don't have a Linux-compatible downloader!   Grrrr...

The same album is available from Amazon as an .mp3 download (bit rate = ?  256 kbps - 312 kbps seems to be common from Amazon these days) for < $6, so I will give that a try.  If nothing else I'll have something I can listen to in the car.  If I can ever get HD Tracks to play nice with my free, open-source operating system it would actually be interesting to compare a FLAC version to an mp3 version of a high-quality Redbook recording.  Never done that.

craig in SD

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2013, 04:00 am »
Oh man, that Johnson Reference Recording of Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra is exactly what I was looking for.  Spectacular!  Thanks again, all.

MoPac

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:59 pm »
 I enjoy this SACD of Billy the Kid & Rodeo.

firedog

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2014, 07:21 pm »

Good performance; GREAT recording