NCore Listening Impressions

roscoeiii

Re: NCore Listening Impressions
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:42 pm »
And with nearly 2000 posts on AC, I feel safe assuming that WGH knows what he is doing.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:45 pm »
And with nearly 2000 posts on AC, I feel safe assuming that WGH knows what he is doing.
So post count dictates knowledge?   :scratch:  I'll disagree with that otherwise I'd be close to a Ph.D.

roscoeiii

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jul 2013, 05:54 pm »
So post count dictates knowledge?   :scratch:  I'll disagree with that otherwise I'd be close to a Ph.D.

Well Dr. Jtwrace, I'd say it is a decent enough crude indicator. Though low post count can't be taken as an indicator of lack of knowledge. But if you have that many posts, you are likely to be aware of he potential for bias, and aware of the importance of level matching.

jackman

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jul 2013, 06:55 pm »
Hey Guys,

I'm a fan of the NCore and, as Roscoe has stated, purchased mine after the trial.  It's the best sounding amp I have had in my system, IMO, but it's cool if other people feel differently.  We all have different tastes and if the evaluation was legitimate (I'm certain it was) there is no reason to question Wayne or anyone eles.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it's different than mine. 

This thread reminds me of Axpona 2013.  I remember leaving a room that was absolutely unlistenable (IMO) and, as I walked out of the room hearing some guys behind me rave about how it was their favorite room of the show and that they would immediately buy the system if they won the lottery.  In fact, something similar happened several times (to me) at Axpona.  There were a few systems that just sounded really bad to me (piercing highs, sloppy bass, etc.) but were highly rated by others.  It was a fun and enlightening experience.

Lastly, I did not think the NCore sounded as good in Roscoe's system (with his SS preamp) as it does in mine but our systems are so different it's hard to pinpoint why that was the case.  Also, it's highly likely we have different opinions and preferences.  I'm happy with my decision to get an Ncore and appreciate JTWrace's generosity in letting me hear his amps during the demo. 

Cheers,
J

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jul 2013, 07:03 pm »

Lastly, I did not think the NCore sounded as good in Roscoe's system (with his SS preamp) as it does in mine but our systems are so different it's hard to pinpoint why that was the case.  Also, it's highly likely we have different opinions and preferences.  I'm happy with my decision to get an Ncore and appreciate JTWrace's generosity in letting me hear his amps during the demo. 

Cheers,
J

Totally agree that the ncores didn't seem to be a great match with my preamp. Goes to show, once again, that synergy is everything. Looking forward to hearing jackman's ncores in his system one of these days. Jack, we are long overdue to catch up.

jackman

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jul 2013, 07:12 pm »
Hi Roscoe,

I agree!  It's been too long and I look forward to getting together.  Also, for the record, my impression of the NCore amps is as positive as ever.  I enjoyed giving the NCore group a hard time at first but the amp sounds great in my system.  I also like the fact that it is very energy efficient and runs very cool, even when I play my system loud.  My subwoofer amp (Crown K1) gets much hotter than the NCore. 

srb

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jul 2013, 07:21 pm »
The amp comparison was a fun way to spend a hot Tucson afternoon, not a scientific experiment. We plugged them in and listened.

We did spend half the time zeroing in on midrange vocals which seemed to show more apparent differences between the amps that wasn't as apparent auditioning mixed instrumental material.

Perhaps some other variables beyond the speakers themselves contributed to them not being a great match with the Ncores.  Maybe there wasn't enough warm up time, as was mentioned previously.  Maybe it had less to do with the actual load the Salk HT2-TLs themselves presented to the amp and maybe the Ncores just weren't happy with the electrical characteristics of the dual runs of Kimber 4VS?  Maybe it had something to do with those little ground enhancer thingies hanging off of one speaker terminal?

Like Wayne said, nothing really scientific.  I still have a gut feeling that these Ncore amps (and a number of other Class D amplifiers) are a just bit more sensitive to speaker load impedance and the different capacitance and inductance characteristics of various speaker cables.

Steve

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #27 on: 8 Jul 2013, 07:22 pm »
I've heard the nCores a few different times now and every time my opinion of them gets worse.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 8 Jul 2013, 07:30 pm »
I've heard the nCores a few different times now and every time my opinion of them gets worse.
NC1200's too?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 8 Jul 2013, 07:38 pm »
Yep.

WGH

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jul 2013, 08:11 pm »
I'll be curious to see if any of the NC1200 based NCore amps show up at RMAF and if demo disks will be allowed.

roscoeiii

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jul 2013, 09:41 pm »
I'll be curious to see if any of the NC1200 based NCore amps show up at RMAF and if demo disks will be allowed.

Safe to say that the 1200s will be there I think.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 8 Jul 2013, 09:51 pm »
They were last year and demo disks were allowed.

WGH

« Reply #33 on: 9 Jul 2013, 02:28 am »
They were last year and demo disks were allowed.

Thanks, I missed last year because I bought a house and was in the middle of a move. Don't remember reading any RMAF reviews.

Just read the New York Audio Show 2013 MolaMola review http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115952.msg1213742#msg1213742
I haven't heard the large Vivid but if it sounds anything like the smaller Oval series then the low end needs as much help as possible, those opposing drivers can do strange things in a room. What I heard a couple of years ago (don't know what amps were used) was large amounts of ill-defined bass which I bet the NCore could help control.

The NCore's image very well so if there is no center image as mentioned in the review, it ain't the amps fault.

Folsom

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jul 2013, 09:25 pm »
Tyson are they very talented, yet somehow boring? I've read something to that effect.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2013, 04:40 am by Salis Audio »

Adhara

« Reply #35 on: 6 Oct 2013, 03:57 pm »
Hi guys,

I'have got a Audiocontrol Pantages G3 power amp  (H Class) and wanted to know if moving to Hypex NC400 would be an improvement in term of sonic performance.

I'm really happy with my audiocontrol but in audio we always want better.
I think Audiocontrol is based on ICE modules but they are really well customized.

regards.

wilsynet

« Reply #36 on: 6 Oct 2013, 10:49 pm »
Impossible to say for sure, impossible to know what your own preferences are.

Having said that, quite a few people prefer Hypex NC400 over ICE, and there should be an advantage of a mono block execution over 5 amplifiers sharing a single power supply.

a.wayne

« Reply #37 on: 7 Oct 2013, 12:04 am »
@ Adhara ,

Simply really and as i tell my friends, keep FedEx close , best to try one for yourself, i have very rarely purchased electronics , especially when the amp is unknown  and kept them around, if you dont like , rinse repeat and go again ..:)

That aside the NC1200 's are getting a lot of positive chatter ,  but sadly prices are heading north  from some, is one really better than a used Krell evo series, tough choice really ...

Regards

bummrush

« Reply #38 on: 7 Oct 2013, 01:02 am »
Only thing is if you like them after lots of extended listening.

a.wayne

« Reply #39 on: 7 Oct 2013, 02:36 am »
Still waiting to try one myself ...... :)