Interlaced TV and my Eyes

bob82274

« on: 24 Jun 2003, 12:37 am »
Ok for the past few months I have started to develop a problem... I am having trouble watching interlaced TV (i.e. regular TV).  Now this isn't because I am spoiled and watch a HDTV all the time.  I only know one person who has it and I haven't even watched yet (I really should bug him on that).  My eyes have started to adjust and are starting to be able to pick out the two signals and can see them oscillate. This happens on any TV of sufficent size.  Don't know if it happens on a 13" as I wouldn't bother anyway.  Does anyone else experience this?  Anyone have suggestions (beside going out and getting a digital TV :roll:)?

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2003, 02:55 am »
Ohh, that sucks bob.

Can't say that I know anyone else that that is bothered with 60Hz.

I do think you're a bit screwed, unless you run your video into a computer, or get an HD set.

And since you've got a big pimpin' new 'puter. That seems like the more logical way to go.

bob82274

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2003, 12:06 am »
I'm thinking that computers were the start of the problem.  Iv been able to detect 60Hz for a long time but barely.  I can detect 85Hz now.  But this also means that I am really prone to seeing rainbows on DLP projectors  :evil: .  I should say though that its not everything I watch that it happens but I'm afraid that it might occur more and more.  Actually this is kinda ironic because my eyes suck otherwise...  

I have an eye doctor appt on saturday (for lousy vision :roll:) so I may ask bout it then.

House de Kris

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2003, 05:40 pm »
I feel sorry for you.  Must be really terrible to go to a movie theater.

bob82274

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2003, 09:31 pm »
Actually it hasn't been too bad when I go to the theatre... but that could be because I usually go to the 10PM show and my eyes are getting tired.  I havn't been in a while so it should be intresting if I notice it.  Why do they show movies at 24 fps (?).  It has had other effects too.  Florescent lights can be really noticable too as they go at 60 Hz as well.  

I'm not a real anal person (how did i get into this hobby?  :roll: ) so it probably won't bug me too much but if it gets worse it might.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2003, 04:56 am »
Are you watching tv with flourescent lighting anywhere near? That can mess with 60Hz since it runs at 60Hz also.

Well you sorta said that I guess.

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2003, 05:17 am »
Quote from: bob82274
Why do they show movies at 24 fps (?).

The quick & dirty answer to that is $.

It costs a good deal more to up the framerate 25%. There's 25% more film being run through the projector, there's 25% more film to produce, there's 25% more film to ship, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Theaters hardly have a budget to keep things running (most aren't running properly), let alone have a budget for the added cost of 30fps. And the public doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground as far as movie theater presentations go. So why should they bother to spend any  $ to give a better presentation, when the public won't even notice.

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2003, 04:58 am »
I experience the same effects that Bob does.  Although I am not bothered by TV sets, 60Hz refresh on a computer monitor is unbearable.  Luckily you can change that easily with any video card.  Fast motions like cameria pans in the theater is very annoying to me as well.  Almost disorienting on some shots.  But on TV I don't notice it as much.  I think there's a few factors at play, one of which may be the huge size of the image in the theater.  The motion blur is more apparent.

Anyone ever see that 48fps whatsit?  (I forgot the title of it)  That would be interesting to see.