What products did you use at the 2016 Newport Show?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Pete,

Based on how great your room sounded and the fact that I will have a LIO DHT soon, I am very interested in what products you used at the show - especially the USB cable.

Thanks,

George

Triode Pete

Re: What products did you use at the 2016 Newport Show?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:51 pm »
Hi George,
Here's the cable line-up (from the Room listing) used at The Show-Newport... I had it pretty easy since Greg Roberts (owner of Volti Audio) purchased my entire cable loom for his systems as well as for the rooms he exhibits in at the shows... I brought a few cables ("The Obsession" & new USB cables) to "show-off"...

CABLES
TRIODE WIRE LABS – www.TriodeWireLabs.com - Proudly & meticulously hand-made in the U.S.A.

Cable Loom:
- “The Obsession" power cord, with the latest, “state of the art” Furutech FI-50 NCF(R) Power Connector series along with conductive silver mylar and patented conductive carbonized external sleeving to assist in maintaining clean signals as well as providing interference & RF filtering being used on the PI Audio UberBUSS .
- “Seven Plus”, Audiophile 7 AWG power cords used on the Vinnie Rossi external DHT preamplifier power supply and the Marchand ELF (Volti) amplifier.
- “Ten Plus”, Audiophile 10 AWG power cord used on the turntable power supply. 
- "Spirit" RCA interconnects, used from the LIO to the Marchand amp.
- “American Speaker Cables”: Terminated w/premium Cardas CAB bananas with “American Speaker Cable” jumpers used on the Volti Audio Vittoras & ELF.
- “TWL USB cable” – prototype for connecting from microRendu USB output to the Vinnie Rossi LIO DAC USB input. Here's a picture of the USB "Dongle" - this is the "stiff" version that Vinnie had been using (at Newport as well) and I gave him a "flexible" version to try out back at his home...

Cheers,
Pete

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:59 pm »
Thanks for sharing the info and picture Pete.

I am most interested in the USB cable first, followed by some possible power cords.

Do you have an idea on price  and availability for the USB cable?

Thanks,

George

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2016, 06:22 pm »
Pete,

That looks like a great setup.

- A couple issues I see using these type of "hard" links (short and long) with Regen and microRendu:
   (1) the weight of the dongle weakens the USB connector to PCB mounting on some DACs
   (2) There is not always sufficient depth needed to go straight out from the back panel, so the link needs to be either really flexible like you suggest, or a right angle format to allow the microRendu to fit sideways while still clearing the other connectors on the back panel.

- You chose a 7+ for the LIO DHT heater PS, which seems a bit overkill, at least current wise. I already have a TWL 10+ or 12+. Do you think that would work just as well in this case?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2016, 06:23 pm »
“TWL USB cable” – prototype for connecting from microRendu USB output to the Vinnie Rossi LIO DAC USB input. Here's a picture of the USB "Dongle" - this is the "stiff" version that Vinnie had been using (at Newport as well) and I gave him a "flexible" version to try out back at his home...

I'll get these fired up and compared this week, and I'll let George hear them when I see him next. 

Just like with the NYAS 2015, Pete's cabling really got out of the way sonically and made the LIO + Vittora system do its thing. 
Very resolving, very precise, well-made and affordable (as far as high end cables of this quality go!)... it was a pleasure
doing another show with Triode Pete and Greg/Volti!   8)

Vinnie

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2016, 06:31 pm »
Pete,

That looks like a great setup.

- A couple issues I see using these type of "hard" links (short and long) with Regen and microRendu:
   (1) the weight of the dongle weakens the USB connector to PCB mounting on some DACs
   (2) There is not always sufficient depth needed to go straight out from the back panel, so the link needs to be either really flexible like you suggest, or a right angle format to allow the microRendu to fit sideways while still clearing the other connectors on the back panel.

- You chose a 7+ for the LIO DHT heater PS, which seems a bit overkill, at least current wise. I already have a TWL 10+ or 12+. Do you think that would work just as well in this case?

Hey Tom,
I agree with you regarding the flexibility of the USB cable... The "stiff" USB dongle was just a prototype that was built in collaboration with Dave Elledge of P.I. Audio Group. The production version will be flexible...

Yes, the "Seven Plus" may be considered overkill for the power supply for the LIO DHT Pre, but it did sound great... To be perfectly honest with you, we swapped out the "Seven Plus" at the end of Day 2 (Friday) and fitted it with a "Ten Plus" for the remainder of the show (Day 3 & Day 4). It still sounded great! A "Ten Plus" should work brilliantly for the LIO DHT Pre Power Supply.

Best regards,
Pete

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2016, 08:32 pm »
I'll get these fired up and compared this week, and I'll let George hear them when I see him next. 

Just like with the NYAS 2015, Pete's cabling really got out of the way sonically and made the LIO + Vittora system do its thing. 
Very resolving, very precise, well-made and affordable (as far as high end cables of this quality go!)... it was a pleasure
doing another show with Triode Pete and Greg/Volti!   8)

Vinnie

Thank you Vinnie and Pete.   :thumb:

I am confident that with the LIO DHT, Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers, and the rest of my gear, we won't have any issues identifying differences.

George