Lampizator with Auralic Aries

morganc

Lampizator with Auralic Aries
« on: 7 Apr 2015, 04:24 am »
Hi guys,
   I just received my new Gen 5 Level 5 Lampizator and I cannot get it to work with my Auralic Aries.   I have tried USB and Toslink with no success. I Went through the Aries thread on CA prior to purchasing and the guys there said the B7 worked without a problem so I assumed the Gen V Level V would as well.  I'm using a dB Audio Labs USB cable if that matters.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys :thumb:

Morgan

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Lampizator with Auralic Aries
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2015, 05:22 am »
Has Fred tried an ARIES? 

firedog

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2015, 01:41 pm »
The Aries USB is designed to work with DAC inputs that work driverless when working with MACs and Linux PCs. If your DAC needs drivers installed for MAC or Linux - or isn't Linux compatible- you will probably have a USB problem. Auralic has written a few drivers into the Aries firmware so that certain of these DACs, like the Mytek 192 DSD, for example, will work.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2015, 02:08 pm »
Newer Lampi DACs use the Amenero USB interface, which is USB class II compliant and driverless on OSX and Linux.  Any Lampi with the Amenero USB interface should be plug and play with the Aries.
I do not know what Lampi used before the Amenero, but maybe you want to get Lampi to update your DAC to the Amenero USB interface.

morganc

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2015, 02:19 pm »
Thank you.  As mine is fresh from the factory I assumed it would have the latest usb interface.  I'll email Lukasz.

Thanks.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2015, 03:02 pm »
If it has the Amanero it should work, did you try a standard class II USB cable?  Some of the "Audiophile" cables actually are not really class II compliant.
Also, does the Lampi work if plugged directly into a computer via USB?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2015, 03:12 pm »
I would look to the Aries as being the issue, since toslink didn't work either.  That would seem to indicate more than a classic UAC2 USB incompatibility.  Make sure you are choosing the input (digital or USB) on the Lightning app.

morganc

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2015, 03:25 pm »
If it has the Amanero it should work, did you try a standard class II USB cable?  Some of the "Audiophile" cables actually are not really class II compliant.
Also, does the Lampi work if plugged directly into a computer via USB?

I just tried connecting the Lampi to my MacBook Pro via Usb and I used two cables, one an audiophile and one a printer USB cable and neither worked.  Both cables work when I tried my Old dac, a Db Audio DAC. 

morganc

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2015, 03:31 pm »
I would look to the Aries as being the issue, since toslink didn't work either.  That would seem to indicate more than a classic UAC2 USB incompatibility.  Make sure you are choosing the input (digital or USB) on the Lightning app.

I reset the Aries and then set up my old Dac and it works fine.  For some reason the Aries is not seeing the lampi. 

Thanks for the help guys.  I have confirmed via Poland that it is the latest USB hardware and Fred ( NA Lampizator Rep AKA Gopher) has already contacted me to help ( he is the man btw, and delivers top shelf customer service). 

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2015, 04:01 pm »
Yup, sounds like a problem with the Lampi...

wisnon

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2015, 04:17 pm »
Newer Lampi DACs use the Amenero USB interface, which is USB class II compliant and driverless on OSX and Linux.  Any Lampi with the Amenero USB interface should be plug and play with the Aries.
I do not know what Lampi used before the Amenero, but maybe you want to get Lampi to update your DAC to the Amenero USB interface.
They stopped using the EXD usb long ago and in any case, only the Amanero ever had the Lampi DSD solution. It certainly is Amanero and it should work with Aries unless there is a problem with the board. It could have been fried or just software corrupted. The former would mean replacement and the latter a Windows software update (not possible in Mac).

Does a Windows PC "see" the Amanero when connected?

morganc

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2015, 04:45 pm »
I do not have a PC to try it with :-(.

Regardless, I know I will be taken care of.  For any of you guys watching this thread, both Lukasz in Poland and Fred have both given me A+++ service within hours of me posting this.

This is how customer service should be :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2015, 04:55 pm »
Yes,, they are good guys.  Make sure you ask them to look into the toslink, too.  It still bugs me that Aries didn't see it, either.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2015, 05:59 pm »
I do not have a PC to try it with :-(.

Regardless, I know I will be taken care of.  For any of you guys watching this thread, both Lukasz in Poland and Fred have both given me A+++ service within hours of me posting this.

This is how customer service should be :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

As a future Lampi Amber owner its really nice to hear this!!!  :D

...I also am an Aries owner.

Geardaddy

« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2015, 07:36 pm »
I use a L7 with an Aries and it works fine.  During initial setup, I had to manually select the "Amanero" driver for the dac to sync properly. 

abernardi

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2015, 08:02 pm »
Hey Morgan, please keep us updated, I'm waiting for my new Aries to arrive and am keenly interested in the Amber. :green:

genjamon

« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2015, 11:47 pm »
I also use a Db Audio USB cable between my Aries and my Lampizator with Level 5 board (though not power supply).  It has the Amanero.  And I also concur that I have to go into Aries settings and manually select the Amanero on initial setup. 

I haven't had any issues with the Aries-Dac interchange once I figured out I had to select that output in the Aries settings.  What I've had to battle are quite a few demons on networking/file streaming and lightning app side of things, most likely to do with my old ipad not being up to snuff with the needs of the app as well as trying to go cheap and use my old Mac Mini as music server rather than investing in a NAS.  We'll see tonight when my new ipad arrives.

MttBsh

« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2015, 12:28 am »
I also use a Db Audio USB cable between my Aries and my Lampizator with Level 5 board (though not power supply).  It has the Amanero.  And I also concur that I have to go into Aries settings and manually select the Amanero on initial setup. 

I haven't had any issues with the Aries-Dac interchange once I figured out I had to select that output in the Aries settings.  What I've had to battle are quite a few demons on networking/file streaming and lightning app side of things, most likely to do with my old ipad not being up to snuff with the needs of the app as well as trying to go cheap and use my old Mac Mini as music server rather than investing in a NAS.  We'll see tonight when my new ipad arrives.

This is precisely why I avoid computer audio like the plague. Listening to music should be relaxing; the stress of dealing with these networking/streaming and applications issues for me would definitely outweigh any sonic advantages . One day a high end plug and play server based solution will be offered and thousands of neophytes like me will jump in.