Lampi DSD

wisnon

Lampi DSD
« on: 18 May 2014, 06:15 am »
Bruce Brown was very favourable with the prototype in his Mojo review a few months ago.

See what he says about the upgraded Duelund/Balanced version here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14676-Lampizator-DSD-DAC&p=266858#post266858

Also it seems that a L4G4 review is coming out soon in PFO magazine and the teaser is fascinating.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2014, 12:48 am by wisnon »

OzarkTom

Re: Lampi DSD
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2014, 02:40 pm »
I would love to hear this Lampi

wisnon

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2014, 07:11 pm »
Talk to Berto and Gopher and see what can be arranged?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2014, 07:15 pm »
I would love to hear this Lampi
Me too. 

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2014, 08:47 pm »
Very interested with balanced output. Pricing? Has he solved the popping noise yet?
Chris H.

Gopher

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2014, 12:19 am »
Very interested with balanced output. Pricing? Has he solved the popping noise yet?
Chris H.

Pricing begins at $3450 for the DSD only DAC and varies from there based on the options need.  Please feel free to drop me a line or give me a call and I'd be happy to work something up with you.

Yes we are past pops at this point.  The DSD DAC is in a mature state now.

goskers

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2014, 12:22 am »
Have been using this unit now for the last few weeks.  Very special is all I can say.  Zero pops or clicks to date. 

Well worth a listen if the pricing is in your neighborhood. 

worldcat

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2014, 07:41 pm »
What is retail price of the DSD dac?

Gopher

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2014, 08:21 pm »
What is retail price of the DSD dac?

$3450 in base configuration as stated above.  All of our DACs are custom however and you have a number of options which can impact the cost.

worldcat

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2014, 12:59 pm »
Pricing begins at $3450 for the DSD only DAC and varies from there based on the options need.  Please feel free to drop me a line or give me a call and I'd be happy to work something up with you.

Yes we are past pops at this point.  The DSD DAC is in a mature state now.

How did i miss that, sorry! :duh:

Phil

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2014, 02:43 am »
Fred,

Could a Bryston BDP-2's USB output feed the lampi DSD?  The following is from the Bryston instruction manual: "An added feature of the Manic Moose firmware is DSD playback by way of DoP to any standard USB Class 2 Audio DAC capable of decoding DoP; native DSD is not supported."

Thanks.   

Gopher

« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2014, 02:51 am »
It has not been tested, but I just asked Lukasz and he believes it should work as its passing DoP. 

Phil

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2014, 03:13 am »
It has not been tested, but I just asked Lukasz and he believes it should work as its passing DoP.

Thanks, Fred, for the rapid response.  Just thinking through options.   
Might be good at some point to verify for those considering purchasing the BDP-2.  Among other things, this new model adds USB output to the capabilities of it predecessor, the BDP-1.

Gopher

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2014, 03:34 pm »

guf

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2014, 03:25 am »
I'm not sure how my internal DSD add on in my big 7 compares to the stand alone unit but I have to say I'm really impressed.  My first DSD experience was purchasing Beck's Sea Change from Acoustic Sounds a few weeks ago.  After a couple tracks, at low volume I messaged a friend and said I just had my best music listening session in my life. ( recorded music that is). I'm very familiar with that album and have heard most every format. And yes it's VERY good in all of them, confirming that the mastering is the what is most important.  But when all the stars are lined up....good content, great mastering, and then a DSD recording -- it really took it to the next level.  I have since obtained some other DSD recordings, although I have not had another magical night like the first, I now see the potential in the format. I expected it to be more hi-rez, whatever that means, like better resolution and clarity, but thats not it. It was really smooth and warm, not too warm,  but comfortable and natural. I said to myself that first night that it was perfect sounding.

I'm not sure what I'm praising here because my experience is limited. Whether it's the DSD format, the Big 7 or the, DSD module in my Big 7 but something was very special in the mix. 

wisnon

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2014, 02:12 pm »
Guf, make sure to DL the Opus 3 DSD128 sampler albums. they are very cheap. Also, get the 8 free tracks at nativeDSD.com

Several are in DSD128.

guf

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2014, 02:53 pm »
Guf, make sure to DL the Opus 3 DSD128 sampler albums. they are very cheap. Also, get the 8 free tracks at nativeDSD.com

Several are in DSD128.

Yeah cool thanks!
I forgot to mention that I did get the free nativedsd tracks. It was the first time I truly enjoyed classical music on my system. Last night I purchased The Band of Horses - Acoustic at the Ryman. Apparently its one of the few non jazz/classical offerings that was recorded in the dsd format. Incredibly natural sounding.

bmoura

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2014, 11:25 pm »
Yeah cool thanks!
I forgot to mention that I did get the free nativedsd tracks. It was the first time I truly enjoyed classical music on my system. Last night I purchased The Band of Horses - Acoustic at the Ryman. Apparently its one of the few non jazz/classical offerings that was recorded in the dsd format. Incredibly natural sounding.

If you're looking for native DSD albums, be sure to check out the three by David Elias on Native DSD (some free Elias tracks are available on the Oppo web site) as well as some of the other "DSD Pure" releases on Super HiRez by Janet Feder, Steven Vidiac, Grant Farm, Kan 'Nal and Elephant Revival. 

guf

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2014, 11:46 pm »
If you're looking for native DSD albums, be sure to check out the three by David Elias on Native DSD (some free Elias tracks are available on the Oppo web site) as well as some of the other "DSD Pure" releases on Super HiRez by Janet Feder, Steven Vidiac, Grant Farm, Kan 'Nal and Elephant Revival.

Thanks the quality of those free tracks are incredible.

bmoura

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2014, 01:09 am »
Thanks the quality of those free tracks are incredible.

I agree.  Looking forward to when NativeDSD.Com makes the albums they come from available (other than the Mahler 1 which is now available) so I can make some purchases! 
https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation