New Apogee on the block?

Dracule1

• Facilitator
New Apogee on the block?
« on: 1 Oct 2006, 06:37 am »
Since starting the Hyperion Owners Circle, I've been insular in my considerations for other speakers.  If you read my original review on the 938s, you would have noticed I was (and am) a diehard planar speaker fan.  Over the last several years, a few new models of planar speakers have been introduced that peaked my interest.  These are the new SoundLab PX series of electrostats and newly introduced Apogee Synergy 1.5.  I also looked into the new Quad 2900 series, but these are essentially a Quad 63 with slightly better components and new frame - no major design changes.  The SoundLab PXs are simply HUGE - several inches wider than the M or A series, which are giants to begin with.  Sound may be excellent but hard to live with and drive.  Now, the Apogee Synergy 1.5 is another story and is based on the original Scintilla.  It has new ribbons manufactured using better material and cut to high tolerance by specialized rigs (old Apogee ribbons were hand cut), new XO (potted in resin and can be passively or actively biamped or triamped), new neo magnets that are ~8-10x stronger than the iron based magnets in the old Apoggee (as a result sensitivity claimed is ~95-96dB! - hard to believe), new frame structure made of metal (the speaker weighs ~240 lbs each!), and uses Corian with high quality finish rather than MDF/wood shell.  BUT the draw back is the price, $25k!

http://audioworld.com/sw/Forum1/HTML/005636.html
http://blog.stereophile.com/hifinews2006/092406apogee/

Now, I owned the Apogee Stage and Centaur Majors in the past.  But the Duettas were my favorite Apogee, one of the very few "normal sized" speakers that gave me lead jaws.  The Synergy is slightly bigger than the Duettas, but a bear to move due to its massive weight.  What I'm trying to get at is that this is one of those rare speakers that gets me excited.  Any of you guys (non-Hyperion owners included) have similar experience recently?
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2006, 11:31 pm by Dracule1 »

NealH

Re: New Apogee on the block?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2006, 01:34 pm »
I also like what I read about on this Apogee speaker, except the price of course.  I think the new owner will struggle due to this pricing.  Set up properly, Apogees produced some of the best sounds I ever heard.   Its easy to understand how this sound sticks in one's mind for years.     

Janszen is also back in business and, I like what I read on his (David Janszen) new line of speakers.  The prices here are a bit high too but, not as bad as the Apogee.   

http://www.janszenloudspeaker.com/home.htm

Magnepan needs to update their line before they start loosing market share.  In this day and age of competitive business and, considering all the great speaker designs out there, it will be difficult to regain lost share. 

I have not heard the Soundlab PX series speaker but, a well set up pair of full size Sound Labs driven by Atmasphere OTL amplifiers sound really gorgeous.  But, this is also an expensive solution. 

flintstone

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2006, 03:09 pm »
Yes, as an Apogee owner (Duetta Signatures) I find the new speaker very interesting also. My Duetta Signatures were $4,500 in 1992...I am the second owner. I'm driving my D. Sigs with Rogue Audio tubed monos, Audioprism Mantissa tubed preamp, a pair of large VMPS subs....Krell Ksa-250 to keep the subs in line.

Of course, the Scintilla does not require subs!...just an amp that won't go puff! The new Synergy it would seem has solved this problem. Tubes and Apogees are a wonderful combo.

It will be interesting to read any reviews that may come on this new Apogee in the future!

Dave

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2006, 04:57 pm »
"Janszen is also back in business and, I like what I read on his (David Janszen) new line of speakers.  The prices here are a bit high too but, not as bad as the Apogee."

I know of this speaker, but it's a hybrid so didn't really give it a serious consideration. JansZen One costs $32.5k so it's alot more than the Synergy - all silly money at this level. :lol:

BTW, the Synergy has almost purely resistive 2.5 Ohms of impedence across the audio band, unlike thr Scintilla which was known to skinny dip below 1 Ohm at certain freq.  Ouch!
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2006, 05:28 pm by Dracule1 »

flintstone

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2006, 07:41 pm »
"Janszen is also back in business and, I like what I read on his (David Janszen) new line of speakers.  The prices here are a bit high too but, not as bad as the Apogee."

I know of this speaker, but it's a hybrid so didn't really give it a serious consideration. JansZen One costs $32.5k so it's alot more than the Synergy - all silly money at this level. :lol:

BTW, the Synergy has almost purely resistive 2.5 Ohms of impedence across the audio band, unlike thr Scintilla which was known to skinny dip below 1 Ohm at certain freq.  Ouch!

And.....The Scintilla was rated at only 79db Sensitivity !....the new Apogee at 95db, thats a HUGE change.

Dave

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2006, 02:50 am »
Yea, it's really hard to believe Apogee got away with making a speaker with 79 dB efficiency, but I think it was its <1 Ohm impedence that killed amps.  Back then I think only couple of amps could handle the Scintilla.

The Synergy is really a different beast.  It is only similar to Scintilla in cosmetics and drive layout.  But I still think that 95dB figure is optimistic for a full range ribbon speaker.

daj

• Industry Participant
  • Old enough to know better
    • JansZen Electrostatic Loudspeakers
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2006, 02:03 pm »
"Janszen is also back in business . . .

. . . I know of this speaker, but it's a hybrid so didn't really give it a serious consideration.

The crossover from ESL midrange to dynamic woofer is at a rather low 225Hz. The soundfields from the ESL's and woofer mesh well, and the aggregate response extends flat down to 25 Hz. Not the usual hybrid situation, worth hearing before dismissing.