All cables are created equal (?)

Escott1377

Re: All cables are created equal (?)
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jul 2020, 08:56 pm »
I’ll offer up a quick recommendation on a power cable that I have been building lately.  It is the Supra Lo Rad SPC edition and is silver stranded copper.  It is available from seller Zendada on Ebay.  It is 12 AWG and is very easy to work with.  It costs $22 / meter.

It carries some certification as well, I would recommend reading up on it via their web site.

If you do purchase, there is a You Tube video that I recommend since the drain wire is connected to neutral on both sides.

With connectors, so many choices :)

Good luck and have fun.

maxima95

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jul 2020, 09:06 pm »
The drain wire is connected to the Earth (Ground) at both ends.

Escott1377

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jul 2020, 09:36 pm »
The drain wire is connected to the Earth (Ground) at both ends.

Sorry about that, I got my electrical engineering degree in the south.  It’s nice that things are color coded :)

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jul 2020, 11:05 pm »
a 'drain wire' suggests that it's a shielded cord.
Moving on:
all 3 conductor AC cords and cables have a Hot, Neutral and Safety Ground (EGC)/Protective Earth wire. There is only one correct way to attach these wires at both ends.

zoom25

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jul 2020, 11:53 pm »
Connect drain wire to one end (which end) or both end?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jul 2020, 01:48 am »
If the drain wire is connected to the shield/screen, I would only connect it at the component end. That way it acts as an extension of the chassis shield. If it's connected at both ends, it will also carry the leakage and noise currents that flow thru the Safety Ground/Protective Earth.

Escott1377

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2020, 02:02 am »
I followed the manufacturer guidelines which is to connect at both ends.  I’m really not wanting to go down a cable debate, it was a simple, relatively inexpensive option to try.  I just finished my last 2 meter cable today and plan on rewriring everything with the 12 AWG cable that I mentioned as well as their 13 AWG option that is tinned copper.

It’s an inexpensive experiment that I have been wanting to try.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jul 2020, 03:59 pm »
This thread is about power cords. the drain refers to the safety ground (GREEN WIRE) which MUST BE connected at both ends LOL  :thumb:
and has zero to do with IC.
Also a comment agree NEVER use a speaker cable for AC (unless the insulation is rated for AC line voltage use 600V is best IMO)
That original PC cord was probably made 'you know where' by 'you know who' LOL and made to be the cheapest possible cost.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jul 2020, 04:15 pm »
But, there are shielded power cords and that shield may have a drain wire.
Anyone that calls the green or green/yellow Safety Ground/Protective Earth wire a 'drain' should not DIY anything to do with AC power.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #29 on: 24 Jul 2020, 04:46 pm »
Drain wire is ALWAYS associated with a shield, and it's a bad design that increases SCIN, or shield current induced noise, because it causes irregularities in the shape of the shield.

If you have a drain wire or shield on a PC it's only connected to the MALE or WALL end, because the noise the shield picks up is connected further away from the system. If you connect a shield to both ends it's simply another ground wire, and it defeats the entire purpose of having SEPARATE ground and shield.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jul 2020, 04:46 pm »

Anyone that calls the green or green/yellow Safety Ground/Protective Earth wire a 'drain' should not DIY anything to do with AC power.

+1   :lol:

Audiovista

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jul 2020, 08:30 pm »
Good discussions!

Properly rated insulation and well connected ground wire are the key takeaways.  :thumb:

Working with shields is far from simple as can be attested by anyone who spent time in an EMC lab trying to make a switching power supply (or a Class-D amplifier) compliant with FCC/CE requirements  :green:

Escott1377

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jul 2020, 01:06 am »
Edit to remove my comment.

Thanks.

maxima95

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jul 2020, 02:01 am »
Escott1377 - I'm not sure the comment was directed toward you.  Perhaps the author could clarify.

As addressed before, I have never seen a drain wire in a PC that was not connected to a copper foil or braided shield.

That aside, I have seen this topic addressed authoritatively three different ways (not just here): 1)Connect drain at both ends; 2)Plug end only; 3)IEC end only. - Often mistaken, never in doubt.

Based upon what I have read and tried, I'll put my money on the plug end.

Yet when the manufacturer instructs you to connect it at both ends, what are you supposed to do?
(Rhetorical question)

Escott1377

« Reply #34 on: 25 Jul 2020, 02:11 am »
I removed my comment after reading multiple times.  There have been discussions on the particular cable that I mentioned where some have tried connecting only 1 end.

Again, I followed what was recommended by the manufacturer since this is the configuration that they sell.

I apologize about my comments even if they were directed towards me as I should have just ignored.

In the final stages of our move and I was unloading a POD at 5 AM this morning before work and then heading back over after work in 90 +F degrees and well about 80% humidity.

Audiovista

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jul 2020, 12:14 pm »
... 90 +F degrees and well about 80% humidity.

:o