A tribute to the DIY'er

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
A tribute to the DIY'er
« on: 6 Dec 2008, 03:07 pm »
I've seen a large magnitude of equipment being displayed and for sale on Ebay, Audiogon and here made by talented people. It's a shame that companies like Heathkit went out of business in the 90's and that most people are too hung up with just getting along now to enjoy hobbies. It's also too bad that things like cell phones took over HAM and CB for the most part. Yeah- they exist, but are a shadow of what they used to be in the 70's & 80's. I'd like to see more people get into hobbies that are creative and require some special knowledge to make things happen. For me it was always electronics, mechanics and communications.

Some of my favorite hobbies (past and present)

1. HAM & CB Radio (setting up antennas, making antennas & mic's, etc... working with high power HF amps, rebuilding a FT-101B, etc...
2. Dial-Up BBS's (remember?) Remember the AT command set? Remember the C=64? Com 1 or Com 2??
3. Building things out of Radio Shack's Getting Started in Electronics book from the 80's (great kids projects!!)
4. Rebuilding vintage trucks & cars to make them usable (I bought a truck for $500.00 in '94 and still have it!)
5. Audio!! In the early days it was using a car radio on a lead-acid battery for my early sound system & various other things.

The list can go on....it's been fun and will continue to be fun.

Do it yourself projects are wonderful and for those who do not get into DIY projects- try something basic to get started that's within a field you enjoy. Radio Shack still carries soldering irons, there's wrenches at the hardware store, there's several online HAM radio gear stores and even a couple CB gear venders. It's difficult not get get wrapped up in life's everyday bombardment of to-do lists.

There's nothing more satisfying than making something work, building things you need or want or making things to sell. Communications hobbies, like HAM radio special and rewarding. Building tube and SS gear is exceptionally fun.

Spend some time and see what the folks on Audiogon are making. Much of it is breathtaking!!!

The only two rules for the DIY'er:

1. Be safe, build safe
2. HAVE FUN!

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2008, 04:47 pm by Niteshade »