Omnia A300SE and AMG STA power amp

ianlenco

Omnia A300SE and AMG STA power amp
« on: 25 Mar 2023, 02:33 pm »
Hi,
I recently bought an Omnia A300SE with a view to reducing my box count.  It is a very good streaming integrated amp and sounded impressive out of the box but didn't quite have the presence of my separates system which I half expected but was not too bothered as the Omnia was good enough.
Then I decided to experiment :duh: so I connected the Omnia to my AMG STA using the preamp out sockets and sat back to listen.  OK, I was expecting an improvement and it was significant.  A slight irritation was 2 light clicks as a track ended and the next began.  Then things got worse after 30 minutes or so.  Out of the speakers came a quiet but obvious whooshing noise suggesting all was not well.  I plugged my other streamer pre in to check it wasn't the SMG STA at fault and this combination played with no problems.

So, is this a known compatibility problem with these two devices or is my Omnia faulty?  Second question, if I'm going to keep the AMG STA because it really is an excellent power amp then would I be better off with the much cheaper Omnia WR-1 which looks to be similar to the Omnia A300SE apart from the lack of a power amp stage?

Apologies if this has been covered before but as a new poster I'm not allowed to do searches.

Thanks in advance, Ian

rustydoglim

Re: Omnia A300SE and AMG STA power amp
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2023, 05:37 am »
Could be a grounding problem. Regardless, since Omnia A300SE plays well, you should keep it.
Obviously, you can't expect A300SE to be in the same league as AMG STA.
To get the best out of AMG STA, you would have to pair Stream-9 and AMG DAC (or wait for AMG Stream).
At the very least, pair WR-2 with AMG STA.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2023, 06:22 am »
Could be a grounding problem. Regardless, since Omnia A300SE plays well, you should keep it.
To get the best out of AMG STA, you would have to pair Stream-9 and AMG DAC (or wait for AMG Stream).

Jason,

I think you just gave us a sneak peek into an upcoming new product. Can you provide more information about the AMG Stream? Will include a DAC or not? Will it play nicely with my Evo STA?

Michael

ianlenco

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2023, 08:12 am »

Thank you for your reply.  I understand the A300SE isn't in the same league but given it has pre out surely it should work fine with the AMG STA without any grounding issues.  When I replace the A300SE with my Auralic Altair using the same mains and interconnect cabling there are no problems at all.
The WR2 sounds a possibility but it does not seem to be available in the UK at the moment.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2023, 04:51 pm »
WR-2 should be available in the UK, they just placed an order, probably shipped out last week.