HPA for LCD2 / LCD3

setamp

HPA for LCD2 / LCD3
« on: 2 Feb 2013, 01:30 am »
What do you recommend for use with the LCD2 / LCD3 headphone?  I have found they drive OK with low power but dynamics and bass are dramatically improve with more power.  Is the balanced output Cassabria the best choice?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: HPA for LCD2 / LCD3
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2013, 02:51 am »
Hi setamp,

If you just need a HPA (no dac), the
Cassabria's balanced output stage is the
way to go with the LCD2/3's.  You'll have
all the dynamics, bass punch and control,
and extension that you'll ever need and then you can
even refine with tube rolling in the 6922/12AX7
family. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

Justin_Time

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2013, 05:14 pm »
I have the balanced Corvina, the older version of the Cassabra, and it works extremely well with the LCD2/3:  plenty of power, good control of the bass, very musical midrange and open sound stage.

While undoubtedly excellent headphones, the Audeze LCD2/LCD3 are not perfect--no audio equipment is.  These headphones both suffer to my ears from two annoying shortcomings:  a smallish soundstage and a mild honking in the mid-range--you can crudely imitate this coloration by cupping your hands over your mouth while talking. I guess this coloration comes from a slight suck-out in the midrange accompanied by a resonance somewhere in the upper midrange. You need a good amp to minimize this coloration.  The RWA Corvina--and probably to a larger extent the Cassabra--is a great choice.

The choice of the right cable also plays an important role. Silver wires seem to be the best match for the LCD.  I found that the combination of RWA Balanced Corvina /Silver OCC Toxic Cables produced the biggest improvement to my ears to the LCD 2/3 sound.  The slightly ripe bass of the LCD became tighter; dynamic impact was more apparent.  The veil and honking overtone over much of the audible range were lifted:  the LCD inner details became clearer and more articulated; the soundstage also expanded a little.  This system retains the intimate, front-row focus, a trademark of the LCD2/3 that makes these headphones such a joy to listen to with Jazz, but now the tighter bass, clearer inner details, wider soundstage and subjectively bigger dynamic contrast add more enjoyment to orchestral and symphonic music.  While some rock aficionados may miss the ripe bass, I don't.  I find the LCD/RWA balanced Corvina/Silver OCC cable to be a very musical combination.

In my system, the RWA balanced Corvina is the best match with the LCD2/2, the Hifiman HE-6 (at normal listening level) and especially the Sennheiser HD800.  The Vioelectric V200 and the Schitt Mjolnir are my second and third choice.   The V200 has slightly tighter bass and the Mjolnir more inner details and loads of dynamics but, overall, the RWA produce a better balanced and musical sound that can be enjoyed for a long, long time.  Buy ther Cassabra:  you can't go wrong.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2013, 11:59 pm »
Hi Jusin_Time,

Thanks for your post, and your good advice regarding getting the best out of the LCD2s/LCD3s!
The other part of the equation is tube rolling to fine-tune the sound (just like the silver cabling does).

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Corvina!

Vinnie