Product Inquiries

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Product Inquiries
« on: 6 Aug 2009, 12:22 am »
Hi. Herbie's Audio Lab get lots of inquiries about our products and we always reply as promptly as possible. General recommendations are easy to make with our products because of their wide latitude of adaptability. A better-tailored reply and recommendation is sometimes possible though, when sufficient information is provided.

Imagine you are a tire dealer and you get an inquiry like, "I have a car; what kind of tires should I get?" Well, you might be inclined to provide a generic recommendation such as, "I recommend Goodyears." With more information about what kind of vehicle it is and what kind of driving will be done, a more precise recommendation can be made. Given specific circumstances you might still recommend Goodyear, or something else.

Likewise, the more information I have, the more confident I feel when making a recommendation. If making an inquiry, please include as much information as might be relevant and some idea of the sonic direction you're looking for.

No need to go overboard with lots of details, but a general idea of your system and needs can be quite helpful for me and for you.

We welcome inquiries via e-mail, phone, or through AudioCircle.

Before making an inquiry, however, I recommend visiting Herbie's website. Product descriptions are concise and straightforward, usually providing all the information you need. Product "FAQ" pages and customer reviews/comments pages are also helpful. You know your system best and would probably have a better "sense" for what would benefit your system once you are familiar with our products.

Thanks,

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 12:48 am by Herbie »

blueflog

Re: Product Inquiries
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2011, 11:45 pm »
Hi Steve,

I'm new here, your products look quite value oriented. Do you have a general direction for me to follow? I'm in the process of bringing a two channel system together. Sources include a Pro-ject RM 5.1 table, a Marantz SA series CD player, Belles, 21A/ Belles 150 amps, Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers, based on a first level suspended hardwood floor (75 year old house) My question is this, do I house this system with basic furniture racks/cases and apply a variety isolation products, or do I put more stock into a structure with exotic materials as granite, soapstone, metals and wood and allow the mass of the shelves/ frame to isolate the system? Budget is a major issue at this point...

Andrew

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2011, 11:42 pm »
Hi, Andrew. Mass of the frame/rack will not isolate the system. There is no frame or platform that is a whole isolation solution if your'e still using the components' factory feet. Coupling to granite, soapstone, metals, or wood introduces the sonic character of those materials into the music. All of these materials have sonic character to some degree. Many, soapstone in particular, have profound sonic influence that is anything but sonically neutral or musical.

Decoupling and isolating audio and video components vastly reduces the sonic influence of the rack, though the rack and shelves still play some role in the vibrational environment.

With effective isolation of the individual components, a basic, sturdy rack is usually more than sufficient to allow a very high degree of the components' inherent potential to be delivered. (With a more exotic and expensive rack, the same individual component isolation would still be needed to more fully realize the components' true potential.)

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

C-Diddy

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2012, 02:28 am »
Greetings!  Im upgrading my audio system (on a young jazz musicians budget) and am trying to assemble the right army of Herbie's tools.  At home I primarily listen to vinyl and have a turntable and some JBL speakers that were my father's.  I've literally grown up listening to music on this system and its been a lot of fun to upgrade it and hear the impact piece by piece. I just implemented your Way Extreme Mat and some Square Dots on the JBLs.  A Marantz PM5004 is on the way to replace the old original Technics receiver...

Quick breakdown: Technics SL-1300 (w/ recently added Way Extreme Mat, new RCAs, etc)
                         Marantz PM5004
                    2   JBL L-166s (currently on 4 Square Dots a piece)

All of this is sitting on hardwood (with rugs, furniture, etc its a decent sounding room).

Im building a Flexy Rack this week for the gear.

What would you suggest for underneath the (3) legs of the Flexy?

I was also thinking of creating a makeshift turntable platform by using a second piece of shelving (MDF) sitting on 4 Extra Thick Grungebusters.  Then placing the turntable on top with 4 Tenderfeet.  Would this be effective??

The Square Dots (plus the Way Extreme turntable Mat) on the JBLs made a huge impact in bass definition and clarity.  Is there a more substantial product that would more suited underneath the speakers?  If so I could move my 8 Square Dots underneath the Marantz and my DVD player....?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:49 am »
Hi, C-Diddy. To isolate and decouple the flexy rack, I recommend a Fat Grounding Base under each leg.

Shelving on Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots and Tenderfoot isolation feet on top should be ideal for the turntable support. Baltic birch plywood would be better to use than MDF, though.

Square Fat Dots are ideal under the speakers. They're made of the same dBNeutralizer material that most all of Herbie's loudspeaker isolation products use. Other dBNeutralizer products allow use on carpet, add mobility and/or leveling, though they are not necessarily more substantial sonically. You're best to keep the Square Fat Dots to loudspeaker, platform, and rack tasks, and use Tenderfoot isolation feet under the Marantz and DVD player.

Best regards,

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

C-Diddy

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:09 pm »
Great! Thank you very much.  Would you recommend Baltic Birch Ply for the whole rack or just the TT platform??

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2012, 12:33 am »
Baltic birch plywood is great for all the shelves of a flexy rack.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Salectric

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2012, 12:50 pm »
I need a product recommendation.  I have a heavy non-suspended turntable (roughly 100 lbs) that sits on a wood platform (18 x 24) that in turn rests on top of a Sound Anchors steel stand.  The wood platform is presently solid maple but I also have a 2" Baltic Birch platform that I will be trying soon.  The wood platform is supported at each corner by the vertical steel support of the SA stand.  My question concerns what type of interface to use between the wood platform and the SA stand.  Right now I am using a slightly squishy furniture foot that I got at the hardware store.  I think it's called a "Bump On" and it's sort of a cube about 3/4" per side.  I have tried direct contact between the platform and the SA stand, and that is not satisfactory because it allows some floor vibrations to come through the playback at high levels.  Clearly some kind of compliant material is needed.  The Bump Ons do the job in that respect since I am never bothered by people walking around in the room while a record is playing, but I doubt they are the best product sonically. 

What would you recommend?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:15 pm »
Hi, Salectric. Herbie's Audio Lab has lots and lots of customers using grungebuster Dots or Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots between platform and stand or shelf with excellent results. By your description, I recommend Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots. Four 1" Dots is usually sufficient; though five or six would be good with such a broad platform. Just about any diameter would be appropriate if you feel a size different than 1" diameter would fit the application well.

Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots

Our customers have replaced cones, Vibrapods, cork-and-rubber sandwiches, and other interfaces with grungebuster Dots, virtually always getting better results with the Dots.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Stubert

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2012, 12:35 pm »
Hi Steve

Long time listener, first time poster.

After inheriting 200+ LPs from a mate who is sadly departed, I decided to invest a little and purchase some equipment to listen to them. I have a Rega RP1 TT, a vintage Pioneer amplifier (circa 1975 - although am currently saving to upgrade to a Rega Mira amp) and a Pioneer tuner. The amp powers  2 Krix floorstanding speakers (about 15kg each). These components are set up on sturdy wooden shelving (3 shelves high, with a flat base), located fairly close to one of the speakers.

I am keen on using some of your products to dampen any vibration / isolate my components. I have a very old house with bouncy floorboards which carry bass throughout the whole place (even into the backyard!).  Ive been scrolling through your circle & looking at your products on your site. I am new to the audiophile world (but loving it), so I have a few questions about the products I figure will help to isolate my components and give me better sound. If you have any better suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it (as a  student, I'm on a reasonably tight budget)

For the turntable, I am thinking Isoballs: Do I need to remove the Rega feet?, and would I need 3 or 4  of them? (the TT has only 3 feet).

For the shelf / rack and speakers, I am thinking Fat Dots: Will these lessen the impact of vibration into the rack from footsteps / bass etc? Also is there any other way I can reduce vibration within the rack itself (eg grungebuster dots etc)? - as its located close to one of my speakers.

Finally for the Amp & Tuner, I am thinking Tenderfeet: again, is 3 or 4 preferable?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I really need to reduce the hum and the impact of bass on my listening enjoyment. Your products are very highly rated, and I want to purchase the right gear first off.

Kin Regards

Stu

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2012, 03:44 pm »
Hi, Stu. Sorry for the late reply; I must have missed the notice. You don't necessarily need to remove the stock feet on the Rega to use IsoBalls. Though three will usually suffice, four is usually audibly better.

Fat Dots and any of Herbie's dBNeutralizer-based loudspeaker and rack decoupling products are very effective at reducing the impact and consequences of floorborne vibrations. Grungebuster Dots placed between shelf and shelf support are superb at helping to isolate the rack.

Four Tenderfoot isolation feet each for amp and tuner are ideal.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2012, 01:52 pm »
Which turntable mat size for a VPI Traveler?
Thx,
Anand

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2012, 01:56 pm »
Which turntable mat size for a VPI Traveler?
Thx,
Anand
Does VPI say to use one?  On my VPI C1, I go bare and it's best by a long ways. 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2012, 02:32 pm »
Does VPI say to use one?  On my VPI C1, I go bare and it's best by a long ways.

Prrfect, thanks!

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=396

I figure the same with the Traveler since it is also an aluminum platter...

Anand.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:01 pm »
Hi, Anand. Unlike the VPI Classic, the Traveler is intended by the manufacturer to be used with a platter mat. A Way Excellent II-2mm Turntable Mat is a superior upgrade in place of the Traveler's stock integral mat. (VPI Classic is a rare exception in that virtually all other aluminum-platters need a mat.)

BTW, we have lots of customers using a full-size Way Excellent II-2mm Turntable Mat on VPI Classic turntables with "way excellent" results. Unlike felt, cork, or rubber mats, the Way Excellent II mat significantly improves the performance of the VPI Classic when VTA is adjusted to compensate for the mat's thickness.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2012, 04:07 am by Herbie »

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2012, 04:55 pm »
Hi, Anand. Unlike the VPI Classic, the Traveler is intended by the manufacturer to be used with a platter mat. A Way Excellent II-2mm Turntable Mat is a superior upgrade over the factory mat and highly recommended.

BTW, we have lots of customers using a full-size Way Excellent II-2mm Turntable Mat on VPI Classic turntables with "way excellent" results. Unlike felt, cork, or rubber mats, the Way Excellent II mat significantly improves the performance of the VPI Classic when VTA is adjusted to compensate the mat's thickness.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Steve,

Thanks. I will contact Mathew Weisfeld and ask him for his thoughts to be thorough with my search. I will report back here with his advice. Specifically the question will be, should the Traveler be used with or without a mat.

Best,

Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2012, 05:08 pm »
Steve,

Thanks. I will contact Mathew Weisfeld and ask him for his thoughts to be thorough with my search. I will report back here with his advice. Specifically the question will be, should the Traveler be used with or without a mat.

Best,

Anand.

Mathew Weisfeld recommended the use of a mat with the Traveler. He did not recommend using the platter naked. I'll have to check and see what size the mat should be.

Best,
Anand.

Hifimanrookie

« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:06 pm »
Hi, i am new to this..but i just got into the higher end audio scene by buying a hifiman he500 headphone and a huge 18 kg beast of a darkvoice 337 tube amp..and i need advice on dempening as the standard feet are bogus, i even found out they are not even leveled!..i understand that the iso-cup with the supersonic hardball is specific made for those kind of amps..and i understand that 3 feet is better then 1 for stability?
Pls advice

Ps i insert a few pics so u have an idea what amp it is..last pic is at a meet.. :green: :green: :green:

Hifimanrookie

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:09 pm »
By accident put a pic twice..my apologies..i wanted to put this pic on

4krow

« Reply #19 on: 12 Apr 2013, 12:24 am »
Steve,
  I just ordered tube dampers for my 3S4 tubes, and will have a good listen when they arrive. Next, I am thinking that the smaller dots may be the way to go for replacing the Sorbothane feet under the unit. Also the tenderfeet would work, but at only 3-4 lbs, do you think that the smaller dots would be appropriate?

Thanks for your time.

Greg Peyton   P.S. All the tubes in my system will probably get the dampers, thanks for a quality product.