Aksa 55N and 100N comparison

aliseo

« on: 21 Dec 2003, 03:33 pm »
I have been listening for more then one year my aksa55n and finally I decided to build a 100N.
I had not real neccessity to do it but let's say the curiosity or better the pleasure to assembly again an Aksa Kit and finally a request of a friend of mine working in a testing lab of an hifi Italian magazine convinced me to do it.

I reached a very good system adjusting all the elements: cable, speaker, environment, positioning, ...
Then I brought the aksa55n for the tests in Suono magazine laboratories.
I was surprised there when I met the technician and he said me that all instruments test was one of the best he had never seen.
Then I received all the impression of the persons who attended to the listening test. The system was compared with some more than 10.000$ McIntosh and with a Treeshold of about 4.000$.
Well the result was that the aksa could play better than the McIntosh and at the same level of the Treeshold.
The only critics was made on the bass quantity. Italian house are often in old buildings with very large (absorbing) walls and room wery full of everything, so that the level of bass quantity I think is sometime more then let'say in US or other place were the construction elements are different .

This was the last item to convince me in starting the 100N work.

The first impression I have after a week of listening is that bass are really more powerfull (so that Italian requirements are securely reached :lol: ), but also dynamics is different, surely more fast. Finally I listen a little difference in the clarity and ariosity of instruments in high frequencies.
The initial impression in listening is very fascinanting and the difference with the Aksa 55n is evident... not only the power :!:.
I am listening today since 5 hours and I am not yet tired, nor I feel the necessity to plug back the 55w.

Systems used:
Rega Planar 3 with Elys
CD Marantz professional PMD320
DAC Audiokit DAC2
Interconnect cable Piano 6
Pre Aksa Gk1 (phono option)
Aksa 100N
Aksa 55N
Speaker B&W DM 603 S2
Cable Triple TNT

Renzo

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2003, 10:21 pm »
Thank you Renzo,

Very interesting;  food for thought.

I had always felt the 55W to be slightly faster, a little more nimble.  However, your comments are the other way!

The two amplifiers bear a very strong family resemblance.  I'm very interested to hear of your test;  there is something very believable about a test in Italy, because you guys love your hifi... :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

aliseo

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2003, 07:31 am »

EchiDna

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2003, 08:30 am »
well at least I know someone liked my chassis ideas! :xmas:

interesting to hear your views on the AKSA 55N Vs. the 100N... I got the Nirvana kit for Christmas, so  hopefully I can run such a comparison against MB's 55N (with a few additional MB 'tweaks') over here in Singapore...

mb

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2003, 12:50 pm »
That's if I don't chicken out of the comparison...

Hugh, I need the Nirvana++ power supply board we were chatting about, quick!!

aliseo

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2003, 09:30 pm »
Quote from: EchiDna
well at least I know someone liked my chassis ideas! :xmas:

interesting to hear your views on the AKSA 55N Vs. the 100N... I got the Nirvana kit for Christmas, so  hopefully I can run such a comparison against MB's 55N (with a few additional MB 'tweaks') over here in Singapore...

Sure I took your idea and tried to realize a more little one.
Thanks

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2003, 09:48 pm »
An positive Italian review - that's pretty noteworthy, Hugh  :D

Aliseo, your electronics and assembly work may be good, but the finished product hardly measures up to the artistic, sexy, Ferrari-like designs the Italians are known for.  How about putting the electronics inside a Pathos?  :wink:

aliseo

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2003, 06:31 am »
Audiojerry I had to work fast to be able to listen suddenly. That was my first interest. Also my wife said that I build amplifiers and that the beautifull is "inside" and this part is never shown. So when I saw the echidna idea (surely more accurate then mine) I decided to have a container all transparent.

But let's talk about the listening. Hugh says that the 50 is more fast and now I have to make comparison for some days to see if my ears are not working. :o
(sorry for my english... I hope you understand the feeling)

AKSA

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2004, 10:29 am »
Hi Aliseo,

Let me add a comparison......

The AKSA 55N is a Moto Morini 500, the AKSA 100N is a Moto Guzzi V11 Scura!!   :wink:

I admired a Scura at my local cafe recently.  You know, I might just buy one of them one day, a beautiful motorcycle, with all the Italian idiosyncrasies but the soul of Alberto Moravia.  Gang, will I kill myself?  That is the question...... :lol:

Have your tests arrived at a conclusion?

Ciao,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2004, 10:42 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Hi Aliseo,

......  You know, I might just buy one of them one day, a beautiful motorcycle, with all the Italian idiosyncrasies but the soul of Alberto Moravia.  Gang, will I kill myself?  That is the question...... :lol:

Hugh,

Sorry, but I am sure I speak for every one of your customers ... our whole reason for living depends on getting a beautific musical fix each day ... which relies upon you being alive!  Therefore we CANNOT allow you to go for a spin on a motorcycle ... even a Moto Guzzi!!  :)

Regards,

Andy