OK guys, I need some help here! :-)) ...

Tliner

Re: OK guys, I need some help here! :-)) ...
« Reply #40 on: 26 Mar 2009, 03:44 am »
Hi Andy,

I just tested some new xo's attached to 25mm MDF located some 00mm outside the speakers sitting on brick work. I AB'd them and there was no discernable change in sound allowing for a little sharpness due to their newness. It takes about 20+ to run in new speakers and some what less for xo's. There appears to be no microphonic effect from the XO's inside the box either. Normally the XO's are placed underneath the ducting, outside the box but inside the overall box above the bottom plynth. They are not inside the boxes as such and are not directly behind the vibrating drivers.

However, the tall initial prototype speakers have the xo mounted directly behind the drivers in the magnetic fields and all. Their sound is virtually the same when AB'd against the smaller speaker. But the xo when mounted directly behind the drivers in the wrong direction sounded very muddy, obviously influenced by the magnets. The xo's were realigned during a listening test and they sound very sweet indeed.

Cheers,

Laurie

andyr

« Reply #41 on: 26 Mar 2009, 04:00 am »

Hi Andy,

I just tested some new xo's attached to 25mm MDF located some 00mm outside the speakers sitting on brick work. I AB'd them and there was no discernable change in sound allowing for a little sharpness due to their newness. It takes about 20+ to run in new speakers and some what less for xo's. There appears to be no microphonic effect from the XO's inside the box either. Normally the XO's are placed underneath the ducting, outside the box but inside the overall box above the bottom plynth. They are not inside the boxes as such and are not directly behind the vibrating drivers.

However, the tall initial prototype speakers have the xo mounted directly behind the drivers in the magnetic fields and all. Their sound is virtually the same when AB'd against the smaller speaker. But the xo when mounted directly behind the drivers in the wrong direction sounded very muddy, obviously influenced by the magnets. The xo's were realigned during a listening test and they sound very sweet indeed.

Cheers,

Laurie

Aah, that's good to know, Laurie.   :thumb:  Curious, though, that air isolation helps the sound of amps - which, surely, can only mean there must be some microphonic components (caps?) on the PCB? - but an XO is not affected by vibration?  I guess it must be due to the high-level signal in the case of the speakers ... vs. the low-level signal in the amp?   :?

Still OK for next Tue evening?

Regards,

Andy

gerado

« Reply #42 on: 26 Mar 2009, 05:10 am »
or power supply components
we will try shaking them around on Tuesday hey and see if anyone can hear any difference :lol:

gaetan8888

« Reply #43 on: 26 Mar 2009, 07:13 pm »
Hello guys

You need the ultimate amp tester...

Shake it shake it... wen you listen music with an amp :lol: :wink:

Gaetan

andyr

« Reply #44 on: 29 Mar 2009, 03:16 am »
OK, Laurie, Lyn, Hugh, Theo & Darren ... everyone still coming round, Tue evening?  :D

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #45 on: 29 Mar 2009, 06:52 am »
Yep from me....... and I'm bringing Lyn.  Theo, would you like me to drop in and pick you up too?

Hugh

DSK

« Reply #46 on: 29 Mar 2009, 08:28 am »
You betcha Andy! What time we kicking off?

gerado

« Reply #47 on: 29 Mar 2009, 08:34 am »
Thank you Hugh

however I will be coming directly from my accountant and not from home
(and I might be in the most foul mood and a monster headache  :slap:)

looking forward to some soothing music Andy

andyr

« Reply #48 on: 29 Mar 2009, 08:36 am »
You betcha Andy! What time we kicking off?

8pm, Darren ... that OK?   :D  I can manage 7:30pm if that's better for you?

Don't fergit you have to listen to some tracks off "Vocals Mix" and tell me whether it sounds different to before!  :lol:  (Few, if any, of the others have heard that CD I would think?)

Regards,

Andy

andyr

« Reply #49 on: 29 Mar 2009, 08:40 am »

looking forward to some soothing music Andy

How about "Dreams of Freedom - Ambient translations of Bob Marley in Dub" (by Bill Laswell)?  :o  :D

See you Tuesday.

Andy

DSK

« Reply #50 on: 29 Mar 2009, 08:43 am »
Thanks Andy , see you at 8pm!

Tliner

« Reply #51 on: 30 Mar 2009, 11:36 pm »
Hi Andy,

Sorry I can't make it tonight, grrrrr!

Waiting for a roofing contractors to quote on installing ceiling insulation. They were supposed to come yesterday but won't be here until late today or tomorrow with a bit of luck. Tradies?????.

Andy, I'll have to wait for another date for an aural fix should you be so kind to host another evening.

Enjoy the night guys.

Cheers,

Laurie

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #52 on: 31 Mar 2009, 09:10 pm »
Well Andy, I’ll keep my comment simple if quite subjective – I think there has been a small but definite improvement.  The base in particular seems cleaner though overall, the whole presentation seems a little sharper and punchier.  In any case, an enjoyable and musical get together – thanks for having us. :thumb:

andyr

« Reply #53 on: 31 Mar 2009, 09:15 pm »

Well Andy, I’ll keep my comment simple if quite subjective – I think there has been a small but definite improvement.  The base in particular seems cleaner though overall, the whole presentation seems a little sharper and punchier.  In any case, an enjoyable and musical get together – thanks for having us. :thumb:

Thanks, Lyn,

Delighted - and very pleased to have it proven that I wasn't imagining the improvement from those squash balls under the amps!  :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #54 on: 31 Mar 2009, 09:45 pm »
Andy,

Thank you for your lovely hospitality last night!

I agree with Lyn - small but definite improvement.  But, as remarked earlier, this is highly subjective, and not measureable, and easily argued.  Nevetheless I think the isolation has improved definition.

Cheers,

Hugh

gerado

« Reply #55 on: 1 Apr 2009, 12:01 am »
Andy Thank you for another good night.

I will be a little controversial here. I am not sure I could hear much difference (more to the point remember any difference)
Nevertheless my previous praises for your system still stand :dance:
the best vinyl rig on this end of the galaxy :drool:

andyr

« Reply #56 on: 1 Apr 2009, 12:04 am »

Andy Thank you for another good night.

I will be a little controversial here. I am not sure I could hear much difference (more to the point remember any difference)
Nevertheless my previous praises for your system still stand :dance:
the best vinyl rig on this end of the galaxy :drool:

Thanks, Theo.   :thumb:  And to the whole crew for coming round.   :D

Regards,

Andy

DSK

« Reply #57 on: 1 Apr 2009, 02:15 am »
Thanks Andy... a most enjoyable evening and a wonderful sounding system.  :thumb:

I came in unaware of what changes you had made since I was last over but within only a few minutes (playing a CD I know very well) could tell that the system was improved since last time. Upon leaving the last time, I thought "very nice sounding system". This time, it was a case of "seriously good sounding system".

The bass was tighter and more articulate, not quite full extension but certainly not enough to warrant trying to add a subwoofer. Overall the sound was a little more transparent and the imaging seemed slightly improved too. Vocals and strings had slightly more texture and presence. Like last time, I was impressed by the "wall of sound" that big planars do so well and the system is very musical, my head was bobbing the whole time and, were I a dancer, I'd have been tempted to get up and dance. .. maybe a few more wines and I would have  :lol:

Admittedly, we were listening at a slightly higher volume level this time and this can produce the sorts of benefits I've mentioned above, but I still feel there was improvement. Good job Andy!

andyr

« Reply #58 on: 1 Apr 2009, 08:52 am »

Thanks Andy... a most enjoyable evening and a wonderful sounding system.  :thumb:

I came in unaware of what changes you had made since I was last over but within only a few minutes (playing a CD I know very well) could tell that the system was improved since last time. Upon leaving the last time, I thought "very nice sounding system". This time, it was a case of "seriously good sounding system".

The bass was tighter and more articulate, not quite full extension but certainly not enough to warrant trying to add a subwoofer. Overall the sound was a little more transparent and the imaging seemed slightly improved too. Vocals and strings had slightly more texture and presence. Like last time, I was impressed by the "wall of sound" that big planars do so well and the system is very musical, my head was bobbing the whole time and, were I a dancer, I'd have been tempted to get up and dance. .. maybe a few more wines and I would have  :lol:

Admittedly, we were listening at a slightly higher volume level this time and this can produce the sorts of benefits I've mentioned above, but I still feel there was improvement. Good job Andy!

Hehe - thanks, Darren.  I think I can speak for the whole group ... we're glad you didn't show us your "moon walk"!  :lol:

Looking forward to hearing your new speakers.

Regards,

Andy