OK guys, I need some help here! :-)) ...

AKSA

Re: OK guys, I need some help here! :-)) ...
« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2009, 10:00 am »
Yes, Andy, I got that, but I'm trying to persuade him otherwise.....   :lol:

Hugh

DSK

« Reply #21 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:22 pm »
Gents, I was getting quite excited about attending this little GTG, then it hit me ... it is the afternoon of the Melbourne F1.  :cry: The race is later this year but we like to make a day of it and watch all the leadup events (V8's, celebrity race etc). It sounds like that day is ok for the others so I'll have to catch up with you all at the next one. However, if the date changes ... count me in !

gerado

« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2009, 01:40 pm »
sorry boys,
the weekends are out for me for a while

Tuesday and Thursday nights are best for me
So will see you at the next one,

T

andyr

« Reply #23 on: 15 Mar 2009, 07:14 pm »

Gents, I was getting quite excited about attending this little GTG, then it hit me ... it is the afternoon of the Melbourne F1.  :cry: The race is later this year but we like to make a day of it and watch all the leadup events (V8's, celebrity race etc). It sounds like that day is ok for the others so I'll have to catch up with you all at the next one. However, if the date changes ... count me in !

Ah, well spotted Darren!  Yes, it's the bloody F1 ... so parking is forbidden in the surrounding streets!  :x  So we'll have to have it a different date - I'll come back to y'all soon.

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2009, 08:23 pm »
OK guys,

F1, good point, suits me, I will attend any date I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Hugh

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #25 on: 15 Mar 2009, 09:44 pm »
Andy,

Tuesday nights are pretty much always good for me.  Most other weeknights as well with Friday night through Sunday about a 50/50.  So if it's to be a Tues or Thurs to suit Theo, pretty much count me in. :D

Tliner

« Reply #26 on: 15 Mar 2009, 11:54 pm »
Hi Andy,

Tuesday nights are best for me too. Just pick a night.
There always seems to be last minute arrangements made for me to take out the oldies during the weekend, particularly if it is known that I'm doing something else.

Cheers,

Laurie

andyr

« Reply #27 on: 16 Mar 2009, 01:31 am »

Hi Andy,

Tuesday nights are best for me too. Just pick a night.
There always seems to be last minute arrangements made for me to take out the oldies during the weekend, particularly if it is known that I'm doing something else.

Cheers,

Laurie

Excellent!  :thumb:  So for a start, guys ... how about Tue Mar 31st?  8pm, say?

Regards,

Andy

gerado

« Reply #28 on: 16 Mar 2009, 01:41 am »
its good for me... :thumb:

AKSA

« Reply #29 on: 16 Mar 2009, 01:47 am »
Great Andy, I'm on......   :drool:

Hugh

Tliner

« Reply #30 on: 16 Mar 2009, 03:03 am »
Hi Andy,

The 31st sounds good.

Laurie

DSK

« Reply #31 on: 16 Mar 2009, 03:32 am »
 :thumb: Usually I have night tennis comp on Tuesday nights but that night is my rostered turn out. So, unless one of the boys is injured I'm in!

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #32 on: 16 Mar 2009, 06:57 am »
Let's make it unanimous then.  :thumb:

andyr

« Reply #33 on: 16 Mar 2009, 07:55 am »
OK, excellent!  :D  Damn the F1 but we now have 8pm, Tue 31st.  :D

Darren, hopefully you are not called upon to wave your right arm on the tennis court that evening.  :lol:

Looking forward to seeing y'all here.  And I've just thought of a possible reason why my now-air-isolated amps really do sound better than before?  It's not so much vibrations coming through the ground/slab/carpet/slab-of-benchtop to the amp case ... it's that there were vibrations going into the slab from the Maggie frames ... which were acting on the amp cases.

So now those vibrations stay in the concrete slab and cannot get to the amp cases!  :o

Regards,

Andy

gerado

« Reply #34 on: 16 Mar 2009, 10:31 am »
Andy,
you realize that if I am going to draw any conclusions there will need to be some science involved. Be prepared to an A-B comparison.... several times! Wear your hernia belt to aid the heavy lifting and no beans for  a week prior to our arrival :jester: :nono:

andyr

« Reply #35 on: 16 Mar 2009, 10:36 am »
Andy,
you realize that if I am going to draw any conclusions there will need to be some science involved. Be prepared to an A-B comparison.... several times!

DB testing, of course!  :lol:

Regards,

Andy

gaetan8888

« Reply #36 on: 16 Mar 2009, 05:02 pm »
And I've just thought of a possible reason why my now-air-isolated amps really do sound better than before? 

Regards,

Andy

Hello

Maby the vibrations cause a microphonic effect in some capacitors into the amp or power supply. So if you cut the vibrations you cut the microphonics effect.

Bye

Gaetan

andyr

« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2009, 09:49 pm »

Hello

Maby the vibrations cause a microphonic effect in some capacitors into the amp or power supply. So if you cut the vibrations you cut the microphonics effect.

Bye

Gaetan

Yes, that could indeed be the cause, Gaetan.  :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

Tliner

« Reply #38 on: 25 Mar 2009, 02:08 am »
Hi Andy & All,

During a clean up I found a strip of packing pillows I tore eight off the strip. They are small plastic pillows pumped with air and are about 160 mm X 100 mm and about 40mm high when loaded with a weight.

I placed one under each corner of the Maya amp and one under each corner of the CD player. Mind you the equipment is sitting on a wooden floor less than 1/2 a meter from the speakers. I was surprised in the overall improvement in the overall clarity particularly in definition, imaging all within a deeper sound stage. This is an extremely cheap solution to assist in eliminating unwanted vibes. By the way the turntable responds similarly to the pillows too.

Cheers,

Laurie.

andyr

« Reply #39 on: 25 Mar 2009, 02:32 am »
Hi Andy & All,

During a clean up I found a strip of packing pillows I tore eight off the strip. They are small plastic pillows pumped with air and are about 160 mm X 100 mm and about 40mm high when loaded with a weight.

I placed one under each corner of the Maya amp and one under each corner of the CD player. Mind you the equipment is sitting on a wooden floor less than 1/2 a meter from the speakers. I was surprised in the overall improvement in the overall clarity particularly in definition, imaging all within a deeper sound stage. This is an extremely cheap solution to assist in eliminating unwanted vibes. By the way the turntable responds similarly to the pillows too.

Cheers,

Laurie.

Haha - yes I know of those air "pillows".  How interesting that you have been able to confirm that air isolation under the amp improves the sound!  :thumb:

Don't come over to my place on the 31st with any pre-conceived ideas, though!  :lol:

Regards,

Andy

PS:  You know what that means, don'tcha?  :D  You need to externalise the VSonics XO, put it in a wooden box (with high WAF!  :D ) and isolate the box from the floor!  :o