Can AKSA 55N+ Handle My Speakers?

tiger_fan

Can AKSA 55N+ Handle My Speakers?
« on: 7 Jan 2009, 08:13 pm »
Hi,

I am wanting to build an AKSA amplifier in the very near future.  Unfortunately, budget constraints limit me to either the AKSA 55N+ or a base AKSA 100.  I am leaning towards the AKSA 55N+, as I figure the SQ will be better and I don't listen to loud music.

However, I want to make sure the 55N+ can handle my speakers.  They are a DIY design with a nominal impedence of 4 ohms.  The design thread can be seen at http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27218&page=1&pp=35&highlight=neod, and the impedence plot can be seen below.

I've seen Mr. Hugh Dean state that the AKSA 55 can handle drops down to 3.5 ohms, but my speakers appear to drop down to ~2.7 ohms.  Can the AKSA 55N+ still handle it, or should I move up to the AKSA 100 and forego the Nirvana upgrade?

Thanks for the help.

DSK

Re: Can AKSA 55N+ Handle My Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2009, 08:40 pm »
Tiger_fan, unless you really need to do this right now, I would save a little more and go directly to the 100N+. I'm off to work and haven't looked at your speaker thread but based on your post it is the better option. It has superior bass/dynamics/authority to the 55N+ and is IMHO the better amp for your speakers. To my ears the 55N+ and 100N+ were very much on par in the mids/highs.

Your other option would be to go with the stock 100 now, leaving yourself the opportunity to upgrade it to 100N+ later.

Seano

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2009, 11:24 pm »
....and it should be pointed out that Hugh has a few used but Hugh cleaned & tested 100N+ (and 55N+) modules in stock that can be had for a very fair price........how fair? Best ask Hugh about that!!

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2009, 11:26 pm »
Tiger_Fan,

Thanks for your inquiry, much appreciated.

Darren is right on the money, you would need the AKSA 100.  This is because the output stage of the AKSA 55 is not robust enough to handle the current which a 2.7R speaker might draw.  In fact, you could run these speakers most of the time without danger, but at higher levels, and with strong bass notes, there is a good chance you would fry the outputs.

But the 100W AKSA would be fine and dandy - as would the LF100.

Seano makes the very good point that there are some fully built, traded 100 AKSAs, all N+ versions, I think there are about four in stock at present, but I'm not in Melbourne so can't be sure for a couple weeks more until return!

The price of a traded, refurbished AKSA 100 is a little over the 55N+ kit.

Cheers,

Hugh

tiger_fan

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2009, 12:08 am »
Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful replies.  It sounds like the AKSA 100 is the way to go.

I was unaware that refurbished AKSAs were available.  That might be a very good option for me.  Otherwise, I'll just have to be patient and save a little more money.