Re-united with my TLP

PSP

Re-united with my TLP
« on: 1 Apr 2003, 07:08 pm »
Although I too am lusting after a GK-1, I have been slaving away in the basement for the last few months putting my Nirvana TLP in its own chassis.  For those of you not aware of my AKSA journeys, in my first build of the TLP I put it (along with a selector switch and DACT attenuator) in the same chassis as my 55w AKSA.  I had hum... not loud, nasty, or audible during listening, but hum that you could hear 5 feet away with no music playing... still, I wanted a lower noise floor and it has been quite a quest.  To sum up a LOT of work, I think that the TLP cannot deal with AKSA torroid field unless you are a lot more clever than I was in attacking this problem.

Here's what worked...  transformer and diode bridge built into an aluminum box, lined with magnetic-absorbing foil, located in the front corner of a 17 wide x 11" deep 2U Par-Metal case.  The selector, attenuator, I/O RCAs, and the TLP were mounted at the rear of the case, diagonally oposite the power supply box.  Signal leads were kept as short as possible, all twisted according to directions.  By the way, I don't know that the magnetic absorbing foil was necessary.. I had a sheet lying around; I simply cut some out and attached it to the inside of the aluminum box surrounding the transformer.

The result:  quietude, until the music starts.  Then, it's chills up and down the spine.

In the last three months (BTW, rebuilding the TLP is NOT a 3 month problem... I have a demanding job and travel a lot, so audio projects progress slowly in my house), while the TLP has been sidelined, I have used my Foreplay (mods are HV and filament snubbers, Panasonic power supply caps, 5uf Auricap output caps, and DACT attenuator) to feed my 55w AKSA Nirvana amp.

So, how does the TLP Nirvana compare to a reasonably modded Foreplay?  First of all, I really like the Foreplay (it's only obvious fault is that it can become microphonic as some tubes age)... you listen to music and there is absolutely nothing to complain about.  It is musical, detailed, accurate across the entire audio range, has excellent bass.  The Foreplay clearly deserves its excellent reputation.  

So what happened when I put the finished TLP back into my system?  Holy Cow!  Emotional Impact, lushness without loss of detail or any sense that the music has been softened.  Full orchestra has WEIGHT, yet the violins are light and detailed, the upper registers of the piano sparkle, and there is great transparency everywhere. I finished off last night by listening to Rubenstein play Beethoven's 5th piano concerto while I did some reading in preparation for an early meeting this morning.  Every few minutes the music would grab my attention... some moment of utter beauty or raw emotion that penetrated deep... this never happened while listening to the Foreplay.  

What a fine and satisfying reunion!  Last night I didn't have time to listen to a wide range of music, but I remember this sound from my early work with the TLP and I am very happy that I can hear it again.

Of course, everyone who has heard both the TLP and the GK-1 has said that the GK-1 is a HUGE step forward... now that boggles my mind.

Peter