• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Aksa 55 Power Supply Bleeder Resistors?
« on: 5 Mar 2003, 07:36 pm »
All,

Has anyone experimented with using bleeder resistors on their power
supply to bleed both the + and - rails after turn-off?  A discharge time
of around 1 minute should be fine, but I'm sure >2W resistors will be
needed.  I've read that using bleeders helps extend the life of the capacitors by fully discarging them before they are charged back up.  I do not know if this claim is true.

Do bleeders on the power supply alter the sound in anyway  :?:

Thanks for all your feedback,

Vinnie

andyr

Re: Aksa 55 Power Supply Bleeder Resistors?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2003, 09:22 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
All,

Has anyone experimented with using bleeder resistors on their power
supply to bleed both the + and - rails after turn-off?  A discharge time
of around 1 minute should be fine, but I'm sure >2W resistors will be
needed.  I've read that using bleeders helps extend the life of the capacitors by fully discarging them before they are charged back up.  I do not know if this claim is true.

Do bleeders on the power supply alter the sound in anyway  :?:

Thanks for all your feedback,

Vinnie

I would have thought the PS caps would discharge anyway, when you turn the power off, because the + and - rails are connected to the amp PCBs?

On my system, anyway, I used LEDs on the front panel to show me that each rail had a charge and these LEDs slowly dim when I switch off the power.

Regards,

Andy

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2003, 11:05 pm »
Quote from: andyr

On my system, anyway, I used LEDs on the front panel to show me that each rail had a charge and these LEDs slowly dim when I switch off the power.

Regards,

Andy

Andy, I also use and LED for each power supply, but I have them hooked up to each -36V rail.  Does this mean that the +36V rail caps are discharging slower than the -36V caps?

Thanks,

Vinnie

andyr

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2003, 12:02 am »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Quote from: andyr

Regards,

Andy

Andy, I also use and LED for each power supply, but I have them hooked up to each -36V rail.  Does this mean that the +36V rail caps are discharging slower than the -36V caps?

Thanks,

Vinnie

One side seems to discharge slower than the other ... but it might not be anything wrong with the caps.  From memory (I'm not at home right now) I think the + rail LED takes much longer to dim ... but this could be because its LED's electrical properties are different to the - LED and so I should have used a different resistor.  Or, it could be the AKSA circuit is not "symmetrical" and there are more parts which use electricity on the -ve rail, so the voltage drops quicker?

Regards,

Andy