Yes I have a Sub
No Sub

Who uses a subwoofer with 2 channel system

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Re: Who uses a subwoofer with 2 channel system
« Reply #60 on: 19 Feb 2012, 02:37 pm »
Jazzman, where did you get the time to built all those speakers?

The Ripoles were relatively easy but building those beam-slitter-transmssion-line bass cabinets for the hybrid ESL's was one those "glad I got 'em but, OMG I will never do it again" projects-- the design work was months of anguish and the build portion took me six weeks of evenings and weekends.  I'm working on a couple of simpler ESL designs to post on my ESL website because no sane person would build those beam-splitters.       

beakman

« Reply #61 on: 19 Feb 2012, 08:09 pm »
yes, i know about this system.  i would prefer having two separate subs, so i could keep each one somewhat adjacent to the main speakers.  cool system, for sure...

doug s.

Keeping subs adjacent to the satellites is not necessary for a sub operating in true subwoofer territory as the bass is truly non-directional in that range.  If you can localize your subs it is because you are hearing higher frequencies being emitted by them. 

That said, the benefit of having two separate subs is that you can place one in a corner to excite all frequencies, and then you find a spot in the room where there is a null (due to standing waves) from the first sub and place the second sub there to help "fill in the blanks" created by the first sub.

Indiansprings

« Reply #62 on: 19 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm »
Maybe someone could chime in. I have been running a single RCA from the right output of the Audible Illusions Preamp to the input of the Sub. Problem is, the volume in lower in that channel. I have a Y-adapter. Can I use that on the outputs of the pre and go into one single sub input?

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #63 on: 19 Feb 2012, 10:20 pm »
Maybe someone could chime in. I have been running a single RCA from the right output of the Audible Illusions Preamp to the input of the Sub. Problem is, the volume in lower in that channel. I have a Y-adapter. Can I use that on the outputs of the pre and go into one single sub input?

I don't think a simple reverse-Y adapter will do what you want.  You really want a L+R summing circuit, if you are going to combine two channels into a single mono output.

Here is a link on this subject:  http://www.rane.com/note109.html

rich121

« Reply #64 on: 29 Feb 2012, 07:23 am »
Since adding a pair of JL Audio "Fathom 113" subs to suppliment my Green Mountain Audio "Continuum 3" main speakers, I can never go back to not having a sub...they just bring out so much of the "hidden" music and emotion that is missed without them.
Rated output of 2500 watts each also makes for quite a startling surprise if system is not set properly or volume is turned too high.
Cartridge/tonearm matching becomes much more important.

Again, I would not nearly enjoy my system as much without them!

Rick
« Last Edit: 29 Feb 2012, 09:04 pm by rich121 »

cheap-Jack

« Reply #65 on: 29 Feb 2012, 06:43 pm »
Hi.
I don't think a simple reverse-Y adapter will do what you want.  You really want a L+R summing circuit, if you are going to combine two channels into a single mono output.

Mmm...  There is No need of whatever Y-adaptor to feed an active sub as there is normally already a L+R circuitry built in the one-channel only power amp board inside the sub box. All subs provide L & R I/P jacks is for those amps got stereo signal sub O/P jacks.

I'd use only one sub interconnect cable hooked up the receiver/amp to either one of the L & R I/P jacks on the sub control panel. The sub will do the L+R combination inside.

c-J

fscl

« Reply #66 on: 12 Mar 2012, 02:40 am »
I was poking around some old bookmarks and came across this:

http://www.beoworld.org/article_view.asp?id=44

Happy reading, How Low Can You Go..... :)

Fred

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #67 on: 12 Mar 2012, 03:57 am »

You need to run a y adapter from to the left and right channels of your preamp to a single sub cable and then another Y adpater that splits into the left and right line level inputs of the sub.  If your sub has speaker level inputs then you can run speaker wires from either you preamp or speakers into the speaker inputs of the sub.  If your preamp has a sub out then you run a single sub cable into the LFE input of the sub.

I hope this helps!

Larry

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #68 on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:26 am »

This is true.

http://mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/rac-faq_5.html#SEC106

Do not combine audio signals without a summing circuit.