iFi iDSD Black Review (watch this space)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: iFi iDSD Black Review (watch this space)
« Reply #40 on: 16 Dec 2016, 07:30 pm »
So I'm starting to realize that in order to do a good job with the review, I'm going to have to break it up into 2 parts.  Otherwise there's just too much to cover in one review.  So I'll split it into a DAC-ONLY review which will be first, and I'll follow up with a PORTABLE/HEADPHONE review later on. 

And man, HQPlayer sounds so dang much better than Jriver, I just might take Jason up on his offer to rip my ISO files to DSF ....  :o :lol:

jrebman

« Reply #41 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:30 am »
Somewhat o/t, but not entirely as I'm expecting one of these little goodies myself and am in the process of building my master music library:

In order to rip these ISO discs (same as SACD?) do you need an xbox 360, and will any one do, or do you need a special model, and how do you tell what that model is?

I have a neighbor who will give me his xbox 360 if I want it. He's done with it and will give it to me if I want it. I will obviously want it if it is the right thing and that is what I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks for any help on this.

I'm really jealous of Tyson for having one of these but if mine comes in after the amp section review, that's ok ;-).

Just have to ask this question too...

I am currently using a Metrum Musette (by far the best of the Metrum "Octaves -- true NOS R2R) and wonder how the sound might compare to this NOS dac?

Thanks,

Jim

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:51 am »
Somewhat o/t, but not entirely as I'm expecting one of these little goodies myself and am in the process of building my master music library:

In order to rip these ISO discs (same as SACD?) do you need an xbox 360, and will any one do, or do you need a special model, and how do you tell what that model is?

I have a neighbor who will give me his xbox 360 if I want it. He's done with it and will give it to me if I want it. I will obviously want it if it is the right thing and that is what I'm trying to figure out.

I'm really jealous of Tyson for having one of these but if mine comes in after the amp section review, that's ok ;-).

Just have to ask this question too...

I am currently using a Metrum Musette (by far the best of the Metrum "Octaves -- true NOS R2R) and wonder how the sound might compare to this NOS dac?

Thanks,

Jim

There are threads like these - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146327.0

richidoo

« Reply #43 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:53 am »

Hi Jim, I'm no expert, but you said "any help."   ;)

I think you need a Playstation, not XBox. Playstation and SACD/DSD are all Sony Corp. I'm not sure if Xbox can even play SACD?
I think the PS3 must be an older version with original, not upgraded firmware. Iirc, there is a range of early firmware versions that can rip SACDs.  That's all I know!! I'm sure the real experts will be along shortly!

Good luck with the master music library!  :thumb:
Rich

Tyson

« Reply #44 on: 17 Dec 2016, 02:10 am »
Yep, an old playstation 3 is what you need.  They are quite rare.  I have one, I'd be happy to help out if you  need anything ripped.

jrebman

« Reply #45 on: 17 Dec 2016, 01:42 pm »
Hi Tyson,

Thanks,

If I have any to do, it would only be a small handful -- Parvo Jardi - complete Beethoven symphonies. I also have these as needle drops, and it would be nice to compare.

Thanks,

Jim

P.S. -- Thanks Rich and I hope you're doing well!

Tyson

« Reply #46 on: 5 Jan 2017, 01:25 am »