I am back with another project. (Listening room)

Guy 13

Re: I am back with another project. (Listening room)
« Reply #100 on: 2 Mar 2011, 09:04 am »
I don't see anything wrong with this.  The legwork has already been done on an engineering standpoint.  All you have to do is apply them to your design.  The internet is amazing. 

Good luck Guy 13  :thumb:

Hi persisting 1 and all Audio Circle members.
You don't see anything wrong with my project !
Well, that's good, thanks.
However, I'm sure some Audio Circle members will see my project like a suicidale project... (LOL)

I agree with you: The Internet is a usefull invention, as usefull as the invention of the wheel, that's why I have wheels on my V1 and V2 enclosures. (LOL)
Thanks for your good words.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #101 on: 2 Mar 2011, 09:33 am »
Guy,

There is nothing in the N3 crossover to pull any of the low frequency off of those woofers. If you play them in free air with that crossover then any really low frequency information will bottom out the woofers with as little as 10 watts or less. A good 20Hz note might bottom them out with 5 watts.

If you need me to then I will work up you a deal for an OB-5 crossover with the least expensive parts that I carry.

Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.
Not that I don't believe Danny, but I wanted to see/hear for myself what would happen if I fed the N3TL drivers in an open baffle configuration with the N3TL crossover.
Well, I just did that and guess what ?
I've put 8 watts on the drivers for one full afternoon and the drivers are still fine.
When touching with my fingers the cones of the M130-16 I could feel that the drivers were not at their maximum excursions.

Now, as soon as I will get my N3TL enclosures I will install the drivers in them and listen to music.

I am anxious to hear how much bass and how deep the bass will go, however, I know that I cannot make any comparaison with my V1 and V2.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want the members of Audio Circle to think that Danny was wrong, maybe I was just lucky not blowing those small drivers.
After all, I was born on a Friday 13th, therefore for me, it means that I am lucky.
Guy 13.

usp1

« Reply #102 on: 2 Mar 2011, 01:17 pm »
Now you're talking Guy  :thumb:.  FWIW I did somthing similar to what you are wanting to do with the top section of the OB5.  I took the MTM section of the OB5 and put it on top of a 15" OB sub, the resulting speaker was excellent.  I believe the bass section of V2 should be even better.  Here is a pic of that speaker:

Everytime I see this picture I kick myself for not buying these, to avoid the long drive, when Ed was selling. They almost look like a sitar!

Best,
Ed

Everytime I see this picture I kick myself for not buying these, to avoid the long drive, when Ed was selling. They almost look like a sitar!
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2011, 04:06 pm by usp1 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #103 on: 2 Mar 2011, 02:08 pm »
I've put 8 watts on the drivers for one full afternoon and the drivers are still fine.
When touching with my fingers the cones of the M130-16 I could feel that the drivers were not at their maximum excursions.

They will handle 8 watts just fine so long as the signal is not full of information below 40Hz.

Guy 13

« Reply #104 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:30 am »
They will handle 8 watts just fine so long as the signal is not full of information below 40Hz.
Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.
Thanks Danny for your comments, they are always appreciated, but also, always too short...
The N3 drivers are sitting in a corner of my office away from heat, humidity and dust, I am waiting for the money that will buy me the N3TL enclosures (Flat pack) that Ruben will build for me.
I've never been so anxious to listen to a pair of speakers.
I am a little worried that the N3TL might not satisfy me completely...
Guy 13 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #105 on: 3 Mar 2011, 03:45 pm »
I've only heard the N1X.  But since the N3 uses the same tweeter it should have the same character.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.