SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote

PeteG

Re: SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote
« Reply #60 on: 23 Nov 2007, 02:09 pm »
Might try to use FW-83 in 6.5, has anyone done this.

Turnandcough

« Reply #61 on: 23 Nov 2007, 03:17 pm »
Might try to use FW-83 in 6.5, has anyone done this.
Do you have a link for all SB firmwares?
Thanks

PeteG

« Reply #62 on: 24 Nov 2007, 03:24 am »
I inserted FW 83 into 6.5 today so far I’m impressed with it,very nice sound. I think it’s one of the
better FW releases since FW 15. I’ll give it a listen for the next week or so.

Turnandcough,
I just saved FW 83 from 7.0 and just inserted it into 6.5.   

daz_bike

« Reply #63 on: 24 Nov 2007, 04:42 am »
I had problems installing slimcenter (keeps saying starting but never does) and was doing so mainly to try firmware 83. 

I re-installed 6.5 and used firmware 83 instead of my usual 15 (best sounding since 83).

Very, very nice results sounds wise as mentioned by others.

I use an external DAC so analogue out may be different?

Back to listening :)

stlblue

« Reply #64 on: 25 Nov 2007, 02:58 am »
Well, I HAD the new squeezecenter running until I turned off my computer and now on restart the Squeezecenter will not start.  The icon in the start up tray just keeps flashing and says 'Squeezecenter starting' but it never starts. If I double click on the desktop icon, nothing happens either - I get the hourglass to show for a split second and then nothing.  I've tried restarting the computer a couple times, but nothing changes the 'Squeezecenter starting' and icon blinking in startup tray.
Anyone know how to cure this, so I can get some music again!
Bill

Same problem here. :dunno:

Using Vista 32-bit

I was having the same problems and found this: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=40524. I upgraded my IE and things seem to be working great...lets hope that's all it is. I like squeezecenter alot! :D

mr_bill

« Reply #65 on: 25 Nov 2007, 03:13 am »
Well, I HAD the new squeezecenter running until I turned off my computer and now on restart the Squeezecenter will not start.  The icon in the start up tray just keeps flashing and says 'Squeezecenter starting' but it never starts. If I double click on the desktop icon, nothing happens either - I get the hourglass to show for a split second and then nothing.  I've tried restarting the computer a couple times, but nothing changes the 'Squeezecenter starting' and icon blinking in startup tray.
Anyone know how to cure this, so I can get some music again!
Bill

Same problem here. :dunno:

I found my problem with help over on the beta forum and slimdevices.
It was my Mcafee firewall that wsa blocking access.  SImple thing, wish I would hae found it earlier!
Bill

Using Vista 32-bit

I was having the same problems and found this: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=40524. I upgraded my IE and things seem to be working great...lets hope that's all it is. I like squeezecenter alot! :D

Nick B

« Reply #66 on: 26 Nov 2007, 07:58 am »
I was having connection problems with 7.0 and it was my Kaspersky firewall. The issue with the sluggish remote that Val and I mentioned was fixed by doing a clear and rescan of all my music. I listened to about 15 songs tonight and there were no issues at all with the remote. FWIW, I use Mozilla rather than IE. Firmware 83 is great.

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #67 on: 26 Nov 2007, 09:31 pm »
Hi folks,
Are you all sure that there is a difference in sound with the new firmware and SqueezeCenter ?
I have been keeping up with the firmware/slimserver updates regularly. So maybe because of this I dont notice much of a change. Maybe I hear a slight increase in 'background quietness' and some improvements in the bass. But this could be due to the 'power of suggestion' :-) or some better jitter performance.
Note though, I do notice a diff. between streaming flac vs wav (i have flac-to-wav set at the server).
(BTW, any good screensaver/plugins for weather and/or stocks ? It is getting cold here in SF Bay Area too)

JEaton

« Reply #68 on: 26 Nov 2007, 09:40 pm »
Are you all sure that there is a difference in sound with the new firmware and SqueezeCenter ?
I have been keeping up with the firmware/slimserver updates regularly.

I have as well and I certainly hear no difference.  Frankly, I'd be amazed if there were any programming changes that would affect sound quality made in the past year or more.  Virtually all firmware changes at this point are functional in nature.

Nick B

« Reply #69 on: 26 Nov 2007, 10:52 pm »
I definitely think it's an improvement. I was skeptical of Val's comments about that, but once I went to 7.0 and version 83, it was obvious IMHO. Specifically, it resolves better and there is less edge on violins, cymbals, etc. Now I do have the SP Tech 2.1 speakers and they resolve beautifully.

mr_bill

« Reply #70 on: 27 Nov 2007, 12:33 am »
I hear an improvement too, although I don't think I could prove it, but my SB3 sounds better to me with 7.0.

Philistine

« Reply #71 on: 27 Nov 2007, 12:41 am »
I've mthaanaged to get 7 to work fine, as my SB3 is in my office system can't really notice any improvements in sound quality, but do like the new interface.
Only issue - can't get Alien BBC to show up, even though I've downloaded and installed the latest version that supports SqueezeCenter 7.  Anyone got it to work?

jakepunk

« Reply #72 on: 27 Nov 2007, 05:19 am »
I am sticking with 6.2 and firmware 15 until the slimserver web interface is updated with better search functionality.  That one improvement alone would make the upgrade worthwhile.  People who rip their collections want to be able to search quickly.  I want a textbox on every screen that lets me type a genre, artist, song title, etc, and get results quickly.  Interfaces like Google and Mac Spotlight have made this de rigueur in modern user interfaces.

Val

« Reply #73 on: 27 Nov 2007, 05:49 am »
You can't hear, men! I had the latest 6.5 nightly and there is a big difference with SlimCenter 7.0 and firmware 83. Big, bold bass and lower midrange that make the sound seem darker, with more resolution, high midrange and low treble as clear as a bell!
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2008, 10:19 pm by Val »

Tweaker

« Reply #74 on: 27 Nov 2007, 09:04 pm »
You can't hear, men! I had the latest 6.5 nightly and there is a big difference with SlimCenter 7.0 and firmware 83. Big, bold bass and lower midrange that make the sound seem darker, more resolution, high midrange and low treble clear as a bell!
I agree. The difference is not at all subtle. 

MaxCast

« Reply #75 on: 27 Nov 2007, 09:13 pm »
Did they add an eq to it?

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #76 on: 28 Nov 2007, 07:30 pm »
ok guys..I also have a golden ear..its just my equipment is not resolving enough :-)
seriously, I cannot be sure, because I have been cleaning my electrical contacts and playing around with different power cords and stuff. So could not be sure there was any difference just because of the firmware update.
One thing I am sure is, the firmware handles wifi interruptions much better. Earlier, when the microwave is one..it used to play now and then ..hiccup and stop/start. Now, it just waits for the interruption to completely stop before it starts playing again. Maybe this buffering logic change has some effect on jitter and probably some of you are noticing it.

mcullinan

« Reply #77 on: 28 Nov 2007, 07:32 pm »
Im using 7 on my SB3 and I have a very resolving system. I dont hear any musical improvement. Did the programmers mention their would be audio quality upgrades for version 7?
Mike

Nick B

« Reply #78 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:07 pm »
Mike
That's a very nice setup you have. I called Slim Devices tech support and commented on the sound improvement and asked if that was planned by the programmers. He doesn't know as he has not read any release notes on that issue.
I also asked tech support about a search feature and he will mention that.
I'm happy with the (perceived) sound improvement and better functionality of 7.0. If SD wouldn't have gone this route, I would, at some point. have looked into Sonos or something similar
Nick

mcullinan

« Reply #79 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:47 pm »
Thnx. Its definitely more organized and you've got to love that. On mac you have to put the Plugins inside the preference pane package to get them to work. Very strange... It took me a while to get sirius to work. It would be nice to have a remote with LCD.
mike