SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote

anthony a.

Re: SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote
« Reply #140 on: 30 Jan 2008, 08:57 pm »
yup, i have sc7 from about first week of jan and report no probloms at all.  my setup only includes 1 sb3, but so far it has been just as stable (for me) as slimserver 6.5.4 that i have been running since it was released.  anyone preordered a jive remote?  im still debating if i should go for it (or use itouch with slim skin), but now having my universal remote to everything (i was very late in the game getting one), it is now far too convenient to control everything with my universal.  if i could integrate my preamp volume control using the itouch or jive remote, then i would get it.  anyone thought of this issue?

btw, is it just me or don't you think logitech would make a killing developing a harmony remote that is also a jive remote all-in-one?

mvalera

« Reply #141 on: 31 Jan 2008, 11:11 pm »
The Jive Target Hardware Platform works with any of our products. It controls SlimServer not the hardware directly.

We don't comment on future/unannounced hardware, but a SB4 sounds like you all think there is a SB3 replacement on the roadmap. There is not.

To beat this dead... the SB3 will continue unchanged for the foreseeable future. There is no planned replacement for it.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Valera
Online Communities Manager
Logitech Streaming Media Systems
slimdevices.com

Thanks for the honest answer Michael  :roll:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49296.0

I guess if it's not a REPLACEMENT you're technically correct - but to say there's no SB4 now seems to be a bit disingenuous unless you see this as a parallel product path.

Bryan

The Duet is NOT a SB4. It is NOT a next generation Squeezebox. The Squeezebox Receiver is basically internally identical to the SB3  without a display.

If and when we release a "next generation" Squeezebox, trust me, I'll let you know.

JEaton

« Reply #142 on: 31 Jan 2008, 11:17 pm »
The Duet is NOT a SB4. It is NOT a next generation Squeezebox. The Squeezebox Receiver is basically internally identical to the SB3  without a display.

They're not even similar internally.  They don't use the same DAC and they have completely different output stages.

Carlman

« Reply #143 on: 31 Jan 2008, 11:33 pm »

They're not even similar internally.  They don't use the same DAC and they have completely different output stages.

So, you have one!?  Cool.. I'm hoping to receive one also from the beta project... How does it sound?  Have you already put a review somewhere?  I didn't know the final schematic was ready...
Thanks,
Carl

mvalera

« Reply #144 on: 4 Feb 2008, 10:08 pm »

That's just not true.

Digitally they are functionally identical.

As for analogue we obviously used a different DAC, and have removed the headphone out.

The 2 designs are "fruit from the same tree". My main point is that we did not deviate from the SB3 design in any major way, and the Squeezebox Receiver is not a "SB4".

JEaton

« Reply #145 on: 4 Feb 2008, 10:15 pm »
Yeah, we know that.

Do they sound the same?  It would be difficult to imagine that they do.

mvalera

« Reply #146 on: 4 Feb 2008, 10:45 pm »
Yeah, we know that.

No one ever implied that they did. A simple look at the specs will tell you that the SB3 has a marginally superior analogue stage.

I was accused of being disingenuous by Bpape when I said before the Duet release that there was no SB4 in development, and then we announced the Duet/Receiver. I was simply replying to that by saying that the Duet/Receiver is in no way a SB4. When we release a next gen Squeezebox design I'll let you guys know.

Does that make things more clear for you?

« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2008, 11:33 pm by mvalera »

JEaton

« Reply #147 on: 5 Feb 2008, 04:23 am »

No one ever implied that they did.

Probably without realizing it, you did.  If you tell someone that two products are internally identical, then they would naturally expect them to sound the same.  Put the same electronics in a different box, paint the antenna pink, put whiskers on it, and nobody will expect much, if any, sonic difference.  Change the power supply, the DAC, and the output stage and they will sound different.  Saying they're functionally identical is like saying two different pairs of speaker are functionally identical when they're made with different crossovers, cabinets and drivers.

Perfectly.

mvalera

« Reply #148 on: 5 Feb 2008, 07:14 pm »

No one ever implied that they did.

Probably without realizing it, you did.  If you tell someone that two products are internally identical, then they would naturally expect them to sound the same.  Put the same electronics in a different box, paint the antenna pink, put whiskers on it, and nobody will expect much, if any, sonic difference.  Change the power supply, the DAC, and the output stage and they will sound different.  Saying they're functionally identical is like saying two different pairs of speaker are functionally identical when they're made with different crossovers, cabinets and drivers.

Perfectly.

Awesome... just remember to keep moving towards the light. It's a happy place.

Carlman

« Reply #149 on: 5 Feb 2008, 11:15 pm »
Yeah, we know that.

So, ignore my post asking for hard facts and attack someone with speculation from the company that makes the most talked about device on this forum.  BTW, I don't know what Bpape's deal was either... What do you have against the Duet? or Logitech?

-C

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #150 on: 6 Feb 2008, 04:05 am »
My apologies.  I was responding to your first response where you just said there was no SB4 - nothing about a parallel product, nothing else, just denial that there was another product - which now it's obvious that it isn't true.  It may not be an SB4 (and evidently isn't looking at the differences) so I'll give you that.  It was just the general blanket denial that there was a new product that struck me wrong.  Had you said, "that's not a replacement but a parallel product" like you eventually did, nobody would have said boo about it.

Also, just to be clear, I have 3 SqueezeBoxes myself.  1 SB2 and 2 SB3's.  I love them.  I have nothing against Logitech. I think the SB is an excellent product and hope the Duet does well too.  I'll be anxious to hear one.

Bryan
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2008, 04:35 pm by bpape »