ICEPower Modules Available at Parts Express

OzarkTom

Re: ICEPower Modules Available at Parts Express
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2019, 04:24 pm »
I have heard from two sources that the 200ASC is very cheerful.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2019, 04:31 pm »
Enjoy!

And before anybody asks, I have been informed that these are not ICEedge based technology like the 1200AS series.

Best,
Anand.

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2019, 04:53 pm »
Enjoy!

And before anybody asks, I have been informed that these are not ICEedge based technology like the 1200AS series.

Best,
Anand.

Not Iceedge, but 200asc is very, very close to the 1200as, that is what was said by the two sources. A pair of monos could run $300 or less depending on the cases used.

gab

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2019, 06:08 pm »
And if you're ready to take the 200ASC plunge, cases available here:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/asc200-mxr.html

apstoltz

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2019, 10:27 pm »
Anyone try these?

I am found of class d as I have a couple cheap desktop amps that have the tpa3116 chip in them. What sources out there that make completed class d kits?

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2019, 12:14 am »
In my usage, the TPA3116 chip sounds more musical than many of the Class D amps do.

apstoltz

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2019, 12:51 am »
In my usage, the TPA3116 chip sounds more musical than many of the Class D amps do.

Did you get a power gate? If so, is it musical?

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2019, 01:37 am »
Did you get a power gate? If so, is it musical?

No on that one.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:57 am »
I have heard from two sources that the 200ASC is very cheerful.

Apparently was used in this - https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/jeff-rowland-company-special__trashed/jeff-rowland-power-amplifiers/jrdg-company-special-model-102/   and I thought I read that the retail in the US was around $1.9k with their fancy case.   A bit more money than Parts Express and the Ghent cases.

JDUBS

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2019, 03:06 am »
Not Iceedge, but 200asc is very, very close to the 1200as, that is what was said by the two sources. A pair of monos could run $300 or less depending on the cases used.

This is interesting.  Where did you hear that they were close, performance-wise?

-Jim

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2019, 10:39 am »
This is interesting.  Where did you hear that they were close, performance-wise?

-Jim

All I can say, from two amp manufacturers.

Rowland makes an amp for $1900? That sounds impossible.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2019, 11:31 am »

-Jim

I've not yet heard the newest ICEedge modules, and may never have the chance as I don't plan on buying one. That said, I have owned amps with the ASC, ASP, and ASX modules. The ASC modules were used in Bel Canto's M-300 and S-300 amp, PS Audio's Trio A-100 and C-100 amp, and a host of other knock-offs. I lived happily with a Trio A-100 for more than a year. It had a very smooth sound which appealed to me. Here's a pic of the A-100 interior with the input board almost in view on the right:

I sold the A-100 when I bought a pair of mono amps with the big ASP modules which I sold within a month. Those amps had that "glare" I read about with class D amps. Next I bought a Bel Canto S-500 which had a pair of ASX modules. This amp had a squeaky clean sound which was appealing at first, but became boring after a couple months. From there I went back to class A/B and tube amps.

Of all those amps, the only one I could live with long term was the Trio series. Now, would stuffing module from Parts -express into a box sound the same as the PS Audio amp? I doubt it as PS Audio used a buffer on the input.

But I'm now enjoying a vintage Fisher KX-90 amp originally built in 1965, so what the hell do I know?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2019, 12:41 pm »
But I'm now enjoying a vintage Fisher KX-90 amp originally built in 1965, so what the hell do I know?

It’s a hobby.

Enjoy!

Best,
Anand.

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2019, 03:34 pm »
Of all the Class D amps I ever tried, the DAC Cherry monos were the only Class D without glare. Now using the Burspn Bang amp.

It really disappointed me when Bel Canto quit making their fantastic sounding tube anp and switched to their inferior  Class D design.

fredgarvin

« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2019, 03:48 pm »
Emotiva has introduced a new monoblock, balanced amp using the asc300 module. $299 each, pretty reasonable.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/power-amplifier/emotiva-pa-1-balanced-class-d-power-amplifier-review/

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:24 am »
Emotiva has introduced a new monoblock, balanced amp using the asc300 module. $299 each, pretty reasonable.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/power-amplifier/emotiva-pa-1-balanced-class-d-power-amplifier-review/

That's an interesting amp, and not much more than you'd pay for a kit.

srb

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:48 am »

That geometric front panel reveal doesn't look all that stealthy to me, but if I was going for the "stealth look" I obviously wouldn't silkscreen "STEALTH" on it!   ;)

The modular approach makes it easier for them to add another "Assembled in USA" product to their lineup.  Kudos.

If it's a good seller maybe they will offer an affordable ICEedge-based amplifier in the future.

Doublej

« Reply #19 on: 17 Mar 2019, 11:40 am »
Why didn't Emotiva choose to put an RCA connector on the back of this unit?