What treatment to use on drywall covered Ductwork across middle of room??

Lkdog

As title says am wondering about what acoustic treatment to use (if any) on drywall covered Ductwork across middle of room??

The members here have been very helpful on general speaker placement.
I will be getting some thicker legit Bass traps for corners, and likely some diffusion on front wall on each side of TV.
I have 1st reflection absorbers on sides, and will get furniture (couch and loveseat) soon for more general aborbtion.

Here is picture of room right now.

There is a drywalled duct across middle of the room. It is 6' 4" high.
The ceiling is 7' 4". So the duct work section drops down about 14 inches. It runs completely across the room.
It is about 6 feet from speaker baffles.
It is roughly over the main listening position where people will be sitting.

So sound will hit the drywall cover of the ductwork at that level.
Here is pic to give you an idea. Have no idea why it posting sideways here. LOL.

My question is which of three options should I do:

1) Some sort of absorption
2) Some sort of diffusion
3) Nothing

If trying number 1 or 2 it woudl likely need to be some 1 foot by foot squares of something that could easily attach.
Not looking to do a cloud.

Thanks!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I know the soffit seems hideous, but what might be your specific acoustic complaints about it?  Seems like you're ready to fire away out of frustration with whatever.  I'd read up on what absorption and diffusion does first, and their advantages/disadvantages before purchasing. 

I'd contact GIK Acoustics for their free advice.  They sell the best absorbent panels and also diffusors.  And can provide them in fashionable colors/patterns. 

Again diffusors can only be effective based on their depth and the size of sound waves.  Speed of sound is 13,200 inches per second.  Divide twice the frequency into that to determine the depth needed.  So 1,100 Hz works out to be 6 inches deep.  To work best the diffusor needs to have random depths to cover a multitude of frequencies and be in a pattern that accounts for sound coming in multiple directions. 

jriggy

Yes, contact GIK with this one, send the pics along and you will be assigned one of their experts for advice. I did it this summer and am still working on the room but it’s much much better than before... But be warned, they have a 6 to 7 week wait on orders right now and it’s been like that since the start of the pandemic. I waited 6+ weeks on two separate orders (one big, one med) but well worth it. Forget about upgrading an expensive piece of gear, fully treat the room and see how good your current gear really is!

TomS

Yes, contact GIK with this one, send the pics along and you will be assigned one of their experts for advice. I did it this summer and am still working on the room but it’s much much better than before... But be warned, they have a 6 to 7 week wait on orders right now and it’s been like that since the start of the pandemic. I waited 6+ weeks on two separate orders (one big, one med) but well worth it. Forget about upgrading an expensive piece of gear, fully treat the room and see how good your current gear really is!
My current order is 8-10 weeks, placed 8/20. Worth the wait though. Great advice, good stuff, good people.

Lkdog

Thanks guys. As always people here very helpful.
Was just on the GIK website looking at proper Bass traps which is no brainer.

Do not have a specific issue with the soffit as it is kind of a don't know what it is doing so I don't know type thing. :dunno:
On one hand could be sending waves right back to front wall in inordinate manner which pile on top of the regular ones reflecting off front already.
On the other hand, could be breaking up the regualr path of sound waves and reducing some reflections.
My guess is it is not normal and likely not a good thing. LOL.

This is an overly live room right now. The clarity, detail, soundstage width, and instrument placement, however, is really very good in spite of the lack of treatment.
On some good SACD and standard CD recordings it is very good. Gives you the suspension of disbelief thing and sounds live.
Have not tried my turntable yet.

As noted in other thread- moving the speakers out was a good suggestion by the group.

I think what I would hope from Room TX would be improving depth a little more and reducing some of the brightness.
When I get furniture I am sure that will help with the room getting a little warmer.

Big Red Machine

One technique I used back in the day:

Lkdog

Interesting. I think I could get away with lining a few absorbing or diffusing panels of some type either flat or diagonally across like yours.

artur9

Interesting. I think I could get away with lining a few absorbing or diffusing panels of some type either flat or diagonally across like yours.

I came across some pre-made wooden acoustic panels if you're all thumbs, like me, for a reasonable price.   Made by UA Acoustics.