Salk Custom Rythmik Sub(s) - Happy new Owner

Nuance

Re: Salk Custom Rythmik Sub(s) - Happy new Owner
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:48 pm »
DOH - sorry for taking this thread off-topic; that was not my intent. 

I forgot to ask, do these Rythmik subs utilize the new HP amp @ 600 watts as opposed to 370?

Gzerro

« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2012, 04:44 pm »
DOH - sorry for taking this thread off-topic; that was not my intent. 

I forgot to ask, do these Rythmik subs utilize the new HP amp @ 600 watts as opposed to 370?

Yes, it is the H600-PEQ3 and I assume the DS1510 Driver, although the DS1505 looks identical on the exterior.

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2012, 05:23 pm »
Yes, it is the H600-PEQ3 and I assume the DS1510 Driver, although the DS1505 looks identical on the exterior.

Wow - even better!  Jeez...what a setup you have. :D

Gzerro

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2012, 06:29 pm »
Wow - even better!  Jeez...what a setup you have. :D

Yes I am really pleased with it.

Jim is just incredible to work with. I just explained my requirements, preferences, room size etc. and trusted his judgement on the details. I only specified 15", but he still went with top of the line components across the board.

kmunns2000

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2012, 12:08 am »
How much was it for the two subs?  I am considering the same set-up you have and I am wondering how big of a change there is between the ST's vs. ST's with dual subs.

Thanks,
Kevin

Gzerro

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2012, 03:15 am »
How much was it for the two subs?  I am considering the same set-up you have and I am wondering how big of a change there is between the ST's vs. ST's with dual subs.

Thanks,
Kevin

Any improvement would largely depend on the content you enjoy, size of your room and volumes you prefer so it is difficult to estimate "how big" the change may be without some more details.

Unfortunately I can't fully comment as I am still waiting on the 2nd Sub. I think Jim has the cabinet completed and is just waiting on parts from Rythmik to finish it up. Even the single sub for me is a huge improvement in the clarity and impact of the bass.

I would recommend calling Jim for pricing as I am not sure if its kosher to post here, but will say that at least to me the Salk subs are extremely good values and much less than I would have expected.

There are many folks here with dual (or quad?) subwoofer systems who I am sure would be happy to chime in if you post additional details or start a new thread specific to your requirements.

Tom

Gzerro

« Reply #26 on: 8 Mar 2012, 04:25 am »
Well my 2nd Sub has arrived!

All I can say is WOW!

I was expecting some improvement, maybe 25% subjectively, but I would call it close to 200% in reality. The 2nd sub really evens out the bass and energizes the entire room (6000+cuft due to open floor plan and cathedral ceilings). I was really happy with the single sub, but adding the 2nd is an entirely different deal - just amazing.

Thanks again to Jim and the crew at Salk for a fantastic job! :notworthy: :bowdown: I couldn't be happier with the result.

Tom

Nuance

« Reply #27 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:32 pm »
Well my 2nd Sub has arrived!

All I can say is WOW!

I was expecting some improvement, maybe 25% subjectively, but I would call it close to 200% in reality. The 2nd sub really evens out the bass and energizes the entire room (6000+cuft due to open floor plan and cathedral ceilings). I was really happy with the single sub, but adding the 2nd is an entirely different deal - just amazing.

Thanks again to Jim and the crew at Salk for a fantastic job! :notworthy: :bowdown: I couldn't be happier with the result.

Tom

Congrats again!  Dual subs is certainly a necessity in that size room IMO, and I am glad they're working out for you.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:34 pm »
Dual subs is certainly a necessity
I prefer 4.   :D

bdp24

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jul 2012, 04:16 am »
Brian offers my woofers as well: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/GR_drivers.html

Brians observations posted on his site: Driver comparison

Here is his metal cone version: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1200driver.html

Danny---Is there a cabinet maker offering a box for a double 12" GR driver/Rythmik 370 amp combo? And do you offer drawings for such a cabinet (3-4 cu.ft.)---Eric.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jul 2012, 01:18 pm »
Danny---Is there a cabinet maker offering a box for a double 12" GR driver/Rythmik 370 amp combo? And do you offer drawings for such a cabinet (3-4 cu.ft.)---Eric.

I had an 8 ohm woofer designed just for using a pair of woofers with one amp. I sold out of them though, and Brian decided that instead of paralleling two woofers onto one amp, he wanted to go to a two channel amp. I think his new two channel amps are still under development.

However, as I was going through my 4 ohm woofers, a few weeks ago, I found one last pair of the 8 ohm woofers. So if anyone wants the last pair to build out a dual woofer sub then now is your chance.

I would replicate the single box or single sand box design as a double with a common dividing wall between them. So they then have a common top/bottom and front/back panel.

And you are posting in the circle of one of the best cabinet makers around. I am sure that Jim can take care of you on the cabinet.

bdp24

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jul 2012, 10:41 pm »
Ooh, that would be great Danny. But I'm going to have stereo subs, so I would need four of the 8 ohm drivers, two per side. You have the two only, eh? Thanks---Eric.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 19 Jul 2012, 04:39 am »
Ooh, that would be great Danny. But I'm going to have stereo subs, so I would need four of the 8 ohm drivers, two per side. You have the two only, eh? Thanks---Eric.

Yep, only two left.

You might want to wait for Brian's new two channel servo amps. Then each SW-12-04 has it's own amp channel.

bdp24

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jul 2012, 06:30 am »
Ah, so I see.....I would have two boxes per side, each containing a 4 ohm 12" driver, the two powered by the upcoming dual-channel Rythmik amp. For stereo, I would need one of these set-ups on each side. Or to get two 12"ers per side right now, I could just get four F12's, and stack them two high on each side. I was under the impression that I could presently get two cabinets, each containing a pair of 8 ohm 12" GR drivers powered by a 370W Rythmik amp, a dual F12 in otherwords. I didn't know that the Rythmik amp's servo-system would not work with two drivers. Never mind! And thanks for setting me straight.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 19 Jul 2012, 01:47 pm »
Ah, so I see.....I would have two boxes per side, each containing a 4 ohm 12" driver, the two powered by the upcoming dual-channel Rythmik amp. For stereo, I would need one of these set-ups on each side. Or to get two 12"ers per side right now, I could just get four F12's, and stack them two high on each side. I was under the impression that I could presently get two cabinets, each containing a pair of 8 ohm 12" GR drivers powered by a 370W Rythmik amp, a dual F12 in otherwords. I didn't know that the Rythmik amp's servo-system would not work with two drivers. Never mind! And thanks for setting me straight.

No, the Rythmik amps work fine with multiple woofers. With our SW-12-16FR woofers (16 ohm woofers used in free air, open baffle or infinite baffle applications) we can put as many as three woofers on each amp. You just have to keep the impedance to 4 ohms or more.

So with our SW-12-08 (8 ohm woofer) you can run a pair per amp. But I only have two left.

Using our SW-12-04 (4 ohm woofer) you can only use one woofer per amp. But Brian's new amps that will be available later this year are suppose to be modular. So with one set of servo controls You can use two amp channels or three amp channels, etc. You just add another amplifier module. So each 4 ohm woofer has its own amp.

If you are looking to run four woofers in your room then from a performance stand point I have to mention that there are great advantages from putting a pair of woofers in the front of the room and a pair of woofers in the back of the room. You then run the woofers in the back of the room out of phase from the woofers in the front of the room. This can take away a lot of room loading and balance out the bass response very well. So you get very high quality bass without the boom of the room being mixed in.

And Jim can build you the cabinets for all of them.  :thumb:

bdp24

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jul 2012, 02:50 pm »
Okay Danny, NOW I got it! I at least now know I'm getting my F12's with your GR driver and Brian's 370W amp. I just need to wait for the XLR2 version to get into production (I want to send a balanced signal from my pre-amp to the subs). Thanks for all of your help---Eric.