What's the best Low Wattage System you have heard?

Freo-1

More with Low Wattage than other setups, getting the synergy right is key.  So, what's the best setup you have ever heard? 

For me, it was a heavily modified pair of K-Horns with a SET 211 amp.  I can't remember the make of the amp (too long ago), but was absolutely floored at the dynamics and life like presence. 
Sure wish I had room for K-Horns!   :lol: 

TrungT

Re: What's the best Low Wattage System you have heard?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2013, 02:33 am »
For me, GR-Research V with my 2A3 JJ 40.  :thumb:
I want to try 300B, if someone have a pair to let me borrow.  :wink:

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2013, 02:36 am »
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/roadtour1/roadtour.html

The electronics in the system are no longer Kondo but Audio Note Kits instead.
Mind you they are not the standard kit you can buy.
Each piece was put together using the best of what Audio Note and Black Gate could offer.
This system whether digital or vinyl will engage you like no other on the planet.
The sound is tonal and dynamic with 3D imaging so good you are on the stage with the artist.
After listening to this system I can't listen to my own for a while.

Amp- ANK 300b Interstage Mono's
Pre- ANK M3
Phono-ANK M3 Phono
Dac- ANK 2b Signature
TT- Avid Actus
Speaker- Carfare Little Big Horn

sebrof

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2013, 02:48 am »
Not to sound too much like a homer, I will say my own low power system is the best I have heard. But that's mostly because I have only heard a few and those were at shows and we know how that goes. Actually, if I could remember all the low power systems I've heard at shows I would probably remember one or two that sounded better than mine.

And a 211 amp is low power? Not in my neighborhood.    :D

DIY 2-ways + DIY 2A3 SET (Radiotron aka WE91A)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=1876

TrungT

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2013, 03:03 am »
^^^^^
Very nice setup.  :thumb:

sebrof

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2013, 03:14 am »
For me, GR-Research V with my 2A3 JJ 40.  :thumb:
I want to try 300B, if someone have a pair to let me borrow.  :wink:
Thanks, Trung.
I also run the JJ 2A3-40s and I always wonder how they compare to 300Bs, because they pretty much are the JJ 300B with a 2.5v filaments. So, do they sound more like 300Bs or 2A3s?? We may never know.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2013, 09:30 am »
Decware SE34I (6 wpc, borrowed for in-home audition) with my Brines Acoustics T18-F200 (90 dB/w/m, 8 ohm, 30 - 20,000 Hz transmission line with single Fostex F200A AlNiCo driver).

Limited output and the bass was exaggerated, but tone and image density was to die for.

orientalexpress

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2013, 01:11 pm »
Cary 300B mono block with Quad 63 ,image, stage and the placement of the instrument .the lack of output otherwise the best i ever heard . :o

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2013, 03:33 pm »
I have heard very impressive low power systems from Feastrex, Voxativ and dc10 audio... and I'm sure I have forgotten a few. Some were 6 figure systems though...

My own system comes very close to any of them though I wouldn't claim it is "better", it is a 6SN7 Aikido preamp directly driving a pair of re-issue Gold Lion KT77s.  There is only one coupling capacitor in the entire signal path, even including the DAC's output. Clarity film caps in the power supplies. Speakers are Omega Super 3 XRS with upgraded copper binding posts and OCC copper internal wiring. 

luckyguy

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2013, 03:56 pm »
My recently sold Yamamoto A08S modded with silver wiring thru out, balloon RCA 45 tubes matched at 99.9% would qualify as the best I've heard .  The amp was run thru a locally made TVC though a Warpspeed comes very close.  Onken A-7s at four feet rounded this out.  The kicker here for this set up was a one of a kind pair of medical probe silver Litz ICs which were on loan to me.

Grinnell

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2013, 02:46 am »
I have heard a couple of low watt systems.

A 300B set at Arizona HIFI with ProAc speakers the expensive ones  very rich and loud

A Grommes PHI-126 at Arizonia HIF with the same speakers which led me to order one  6wpc pentode, 1.8 triode

But not being able to wait I bought a Deware mini torii 4 watts and loving it got some RCA 6vg st in there and it rocks