3. Alnico magnets
4. No whizzers
5. Qts suitable for open baffles
6. Not field coils.

Thanks

Bumpy

Re: Midrangers to improve on the Saba Greencones
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2018, 07:58 am »
Disappointed there are no responses. Am I on the wrong site for this sort of question?   :cry: :cry:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2018, 08:41 am »
I'm not familiar the Greencones myself, but a quick search of of the site shows there has been some discussion of them before. Excluding your inquiry, there are 30 results. I'd start by looking at those various threads and see if there is anything of use...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=search2

I also did a quick search on DIYaudio.com and that produced 93 reslts so that might be worth taking a look at also...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/search.php?searchid=18083329

ohenry

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2018, 09:22 am »
A few years ago, I made a pair of simple five-sided boxes (open back) using these drivers.  I think I just put a 1.5uF Auricap on the tweeter.  They sound very nice, so I'm not sure about midrange shortcomings.  Are these the same drivers that you have?  Maybe we are taking about something different.  :dunno:

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2018, 10:52 am »
So what would you recommend please. My wishes would be:

1. SQ much better than the Greencones
2. 6-8 ohm impedance
3. Alnico magnets
4. No whizzers
5. Qts suitable for open baffles
6. Not field coils.

Thanks

There are different types of greencones, there are oval ones cannibalized from older radio units and other, common round shaped ones.

From what I read about them, there are few detractors that question their sound quality.  What frequency are you thinking about dealing with once you get these greencone replacements?  Just looking at your checklist, it seems to me that you are looking for something that is fullrange and is also open baffle friendly.  Have you looked into older Zeniths? 

The guy who runs this website runs most, if not all his drivers off a Telefunken OB....He has plenty to say about all different type of vintage fullrange drivers:

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/speakers.html

Bumpy

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2018, 01:39 pm »
Sorry guys for not giving enough info.

I have 3 way open baffles, using vintage Alnico drivers

High frequencies are handled by a Grundig 3.5" Dew magnets
Midrange are circular 8" Greencones  - the version with the strongest Tigges magnets
Base are 15" Altec 416A VOTT drivers

I am very happy with the high frequencies and base, but feel the need to see if the Greencones can be improved on. As you can see, the use of a whizzer driver is superfluous and they introduce distortions. The 6-8ohms impedance is to match the other drivers.

I am currently working on interchangeable front circular baffles, so that I can swap midrange drivers in and out for evaluation, but I want to stick with 8" drivers even though some 6" and 10" drivers are recommended.

Bumpy

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2018, 01:55 pm »
A few years ago, I made a pair of simple five-sided boxes (open back) using these drivers.  I think I just put a 1.5uF Auricap on the tweeter.  They sound very nice, so I'm not sure about midrange shortcomings.  Are these the same drivers that you have?  Maybe we are taking about something different.  :dunno:

Mine are very similar to yours :)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2018, 03:16 pm »
Disappointed there are no responses. Am I on the wrong site for this sort of question?   :cry: :cry:
What you are wishing are the holy grail, if were a better unit all the FR community already was using it. I suggest you use a FR Alnico or Neo from Common Sense while they available.

Bumpy

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2018, 03:36 pm »
What you are wishing are the holy grail, if were a better unit all the FR community already was using it.

I would agree with you if such units were available from Parts Express for £99. What I am looking to evaluate is drivers that push on up to, and past, £1000.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2018, 03:51 pm »
I would agree with you if such units were available from Parts Express for £99. What I am looking to evaluate is drivers that push on up to, and past, £1000.
In this hi range AER have drivers suited to pair with 15'' woofer(two way speaker).
Also there is these impressive guitar Alnico midranges even available in 4/8/16 ohms:
https://wgsusa.com/BHHP#specs

roscoe65

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2018, 04:38 pm »
Sorry guys for not giving enough info.

I have 3 way open baffles, using vintage Alnico drivers

High frequencies are handled by a Grundig 3.5" Dew magnets
Midrange are circular 8" Greencones  - the version with the strongest Tigges magnets
Base are 15" Altec 416A VOTT drivers

I am very happy with the high frequencies and base, but feel the need to see if the Greencones can be improved on. As you can see, the use of a whizzer driver is superfluous and they introduce distortions. The 6-8ohms impedance is to match the other drivers.

I am currently working on interchangeable front circular baffles, so that I can swap midrange drivers in and out for evaluation, but I want to stick with 8" drivers even though some 6" and 10" drivers are recommended.

I think your midrange problem might be a level matching problem.  I don’t see your Altec 416A’s so don’t know how you have them implemented, but they are a 99dB, 16 ohm speaker.  I can’t think of many readily available 8” or 10” drivers that can cleanly produce 99dB throughout the entire midband.  My first choice would be an Altec 414A 12” driver.  It is one of the best midrange drivers ever made, and runs with no crossover at 99dB up to about 4Khz or so.  You’ll have to look for this secondhand, but it is well worth it (and a bargain at about $400 a pair).

chips666

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2018, 06:04 pm »
For more info go to the old Lampizator site and look for P24 speakers
These use Isophon ovals and Altec 420a biflex
Enjoy

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2018, 10:20 pm »
I am using a couple of 8" from Common Sense. Cube audio has some great reviews also.

https://www.cubeaudio.eu/

Bumpy

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2018, 07:43 am »
I think your midrange problem might be a level matching problem.  I don’t see your Altec 416A’s so don’t know how you have them implemented, but they are a 99dB, 16 ohm speaker.  I can’t think of many readily available 8” or 10” drivers that can cleanly produce 99dB throughout the entire midband.  My first choice would be an Altec 414A 12” driver.  It is one of the best midrange drivers ever made, and runs with no crossover at 99dB up to about 4Khz or so.  You’ll have to look for this secondhand, but it is well worth it (and a bargain at about $400 a pair).

Mine are the more rare 8 ohm 416s so matching is not too bad. I will have a look at that 414A. Thanks

roscoe65

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2018, 11:12 am »
If you take a look at the impedance curves for the 416, you are problably up around 12-16 ohms if you are crossing over at 200hz or so.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2018, 11:43 am »
I am using a couple of 8" from Common Sense. Cube audio has some great reviews also.

https://www.cubeaudio.eu/
Do you know how these hybrids Neo+Ferrite magnets sounds?

Bumpy

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jun 2018, 06:26 pm »
If you take a look at the impedance curves for the 416, you are problably up around 12-16 ohms if you are crossing over at 200hz or so.

Interesting, does this mean the higher frequencies are easier for the amp to drive?

roscoe65

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2018, 12:36 am »
Higher frequencies are pretty easy to drive, as they take much less energy than bass.

But in the case of the 416, the impedance curve looks like a shallow U.  The impedance trough is from about 200-700hz, rising gently below and above that range.  Some amps may put out more power into lower impedance, while some tube amps like higher impedances.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2018, 03:30 pm »
These 12" alnico Zenith 49CZ802's amaze me daily. I think Mr "Glow-in-the-Dark" feels the same. He's using his without a tweeter but I appreciate that little bit of extra sizzle on top. The 802 is the same as his 852 but a year older ( 1957 ). They need little power and I'm driving mine with a 2a3 SET. I find myself listening to these while neglecting the OB Lowthers.

ycliew79

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2023, 02:30 pm »
I am new here. I am using similar era german tube radio speaker - Telefunken oval fullrange pair. Normally they are from mid to high end tube radio from 50 - 60s. In my opinion, they are sonically way better than Saba speaker. I use it in 2 way that i just add the match 4" Siemens/Blaupunkt paper tweeter.  :D