Volume attenuator for DH110

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Volume attenuator for DH110
« on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:50 pm »
Hey guys.  I bought a Audio Concepts DH110 on A'gon a while back and it worked great except for a really aggravating static in the rt channel when changing volume levels.  Well today I now have fairly high volume in the right channel when the pot is turned all the way off.  Looks like I need a new volume attenuator.  According to the DH110 parts list it's an RPD29, 50K ohm attenuator.  Am I stuck with having to find one or are there others that would be even better perhaps that will fit physically?  Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Volume attenuator for DH110
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2011, 08:42 pm »
Depending on what the internal layout looks like, I would go with something a little better. Even something along the lines of a Noble pot if it would fit. Do you have a picture of the innards showing the pot?

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2011, 09:17 pm »
Hey Bill.  Let me see if there's something on line.  So you'd go with a pot rather than a resistor ladder?  A pot is much cheaper but for that level of pre would going with the more expensive resistor attenuator worth it?  The prices I've seen are comparable to what I paid for the preamp.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2011, 09:20 pm »
I would go with whatever you are comfortable with and of course, what will fit in the chassis without requiring alterations.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2011, 09:23 pm »
Here's shot from the web..that's the volume on the far right:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2011, 09:29 pm »
Looks like it is already a Noble pot. It is inverted so that the pins are soldered to the circuit board. I would say you have a few options to go with as long as they fit in the chassis and give you room to run wires from the pot to the board.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2011, 09:44 pm »
Looks like I need to remove it and get a model number.  Bill, the knob doesn't have a set screw and doesn't seem to want to come off.  Any suggestions?