2 Placement questions

rlw3

2 Placement questions
« on: 3 May 2011, 05:16 pm »
i have some gik 246 traps on their sides on the floor behind the speakers along with some traps on a 45 in the corners. Q#1- the traps are lying 20 inches in front of the wall rather than next to the wall does this change performance?? Q#2- what would placing 2 more 246 traps next to the first pair for a total of 12 inches of thickness accomplish? i would like to continue to deepen the possible bass but my wood frame house is starting to resonate in places i can not fix. i may be up against my home's natural limits and may have to be happy for what i have..

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: 2 Placement questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2011, 02:44 pm »
Sorry about that.  Not sure how I missed this  :oops: :oops: :oops:

i have some gik 246 traps on their sides on the floor behind the speakers along with some traps on a 45 in the corners. Q#1- the traps are lying 20 inches in front of the wall rather than next to the wall does this change performance?? Q#2- what would placing 2 more 246 traps next to the first pair for a total of 12 inches of thickness accomplish? i would like to continue to deepen the possible bass but my wood frame house is starting to resonate in places i can not fix. i may be up against my home's natural limits and may have to be happy for what i have..

#1. Having them out from the wall does a couple of things.  It will extend how low they'll reach - though it will also create a slight hump in absorption based on that distance vs 1/4 wavelength of the impacted frequency.  It will also allow both sides to be absorptive as they're both exposed to the room now.

#2  Adding additional thickness can certainly extend how low they'll reach but obviously won't add any more surface area to induce more decay time reduction.  You may also want to look at our new product that's not on the web site yet. It's similar to our Pillar Trap but without the wood end caps and corner trim.  It's designed to be hung as a soffit but can also be laid on the floor.  That by itself would expose 3 sides that are 17" x 47" and 17" thick.  We just got the lab tests back last week and its doing very well down into the low 40's.

Bryan