Bryston Stars In Stereophile Review Of The New Mark Levinson N0. 532H

95Dyna

Check out the August issue for the ML review by Larry Greenhill.  He is giving it a Class A component rating.  So what, you say, this is a Bryston Forum.  Used exclusively in their repective categories for the review were the BDP-1, BDA-1, CDP-1 and the venerable BP26.  I just love it when the BP26 is recognized in any way shape or form.  In many ways it is a victim of its own prowess, getting signal in and out with undetectible damage.  Do you think the Bryston stuff helped that No. 532H shine?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Hmm...interesting. Did Larry compare the Levinson to a Bryston amp?

BrysTony

Interesting review.  The ML 532H got lucky handling the input from the BDP-1, BDA-1, BP-26 as well as the BCD-1.  Perhaps Larry Greenhill had good experience with the Bryston equipment and was able to discern the ML 532H contribution to the sound quality but it always makes me wonder.  I have a couple of the albums (Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon" and The Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over") that he used on my BDP-1 so while I read his description of the sound, with a couple of touches on my iPad2 I was listening to what he described.  I love that BDP-1!!  :D

Tony

vegasdave

I have always found Levinson, new or old, to have a dark coloration, rolled off highs, and a little restricted in dynamics.

95Dyna

I wasn't looking to debate the merits of the Levinson amp.  I think Mark Levinson has a well deserved reputation for being one of the paragons of the industry.  My point was for a reputable reviewer like Larry Greenhill to choose all Bryston for his digital sources and pre amplification to evaluate a Levinson amp says alot about his respect for the Bryston gear without actually saying anything about them in the review.

SoundGame

I wasn't looking to debate the merits of the Levinson amp.  I think Mark Levinson has a well deserved reputation for being one of the paragons of the industry.  My point was for a reputable reviewer like Larry Greenhill to choose all Bryston for his digital sources and pre amplification to evaluate a Levinson amp says alot about his respect for the Bryston gear without actually saying anything about them in the review.
:thumb:

Agree - you can judge his regards for Bryston by his actions (using them in the review) over anything said or unsaid by him.  "Actions speak louder than words."

vegasdave

Ok, fair enough. I was just giving my opinion. Anyway, that is true.When the time comes to review a Bryston amp, I predict it will be a blockbuster.

BrysTony

The review also lists cables used as Digital: Bryston, Hosa Technology AES/EBU.  Hosa Technology AES/EBU cables are very inexpensive.  http://www.hosatech.com/products/339969/Hosa_XLR3F_to_XLR3M

Has anyone had experience with these cables?

Tony

headshrinker2

Tony,
I noticed this also when reading the review.  Unexpected and interesting.

The review also lists cables used as Digital: Bryston, Hosa Technology AES/EBU.  Hosa Technology AES/EBU cables are very inexpensive.  http://www.hosatech.com/products/339969/Hosa_XLR3F_to_XLR3M

Has anyone had experience with these cables?

Tony