SP-3 Crossover Question

ccpeabody

SP-3 Crossover Question
« on: 14 Apr 2020, 10:26 pm »
Hello all,

Just picked up a new-to-me SP-3 and a new 14B3 and am running them through their paces with a pair of B&W 801 Matrix S3's as part of a 7.1 setup.  The B&W's are very bass heavy due to the giant driver and the fact that I have yet to elevate the speakers off the floor.  In any event, with my past pre/pro, I was able to set the crossover of the front speakers (B&W's) and it took care of the heavy bass.  In the SP3, for the life of me, I can't make the crossover setting make any difference at all.  I've even tried setting the front speakers as "Small" but nothing seems to change.

I'm streaming Tidal through a BDP-2, into a BDA-3 using the AES/EBU and then to the SP-3 using balanced cables.  I'm using BAL-1 as the input and 2 Channel Bypass.  Maybe the crossover setting has no effect in 2 Channel Bypass?

I've tried making changes to the crossover settings for other sources but again, no change.

Is there a secret key-stroke that I'm missing to allow the crossover setting to have an effect?  Perhaps I have to power off/on after such a change?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2020, 02:38 am by ccpeabody »

Dynky

Re: SP-3 Crossover Question
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2020, 07:12 am »
I'm using BAL-1 as the input and 2 Channel Bypass.  Maybe the crossover setting has no effect in 2 Channel Bypass?
from the SP3 brochure:
"The bypass mode provides a totally discrete analog signal path — including a digitally operated analog volume control.
The signal does not go through any IC’s or digital circuitry from input to output"

I guess that answers one part, so in bypass mode you effectively have no possibility to do ANY processing, only volume control.

ccpeabody

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2020, 10:57 am »
from the SP3 brochure:
"The bypass mode provides a totally discrete analog signal path — including a digitally operated analog volume control.
The signal does not go through any IC’s or digital circuitry from input to output"

I guess that answers one part, so in bypass mode you effectively have no possibility to do ANY processing, only volume control.
Appreciate the reply however I don't think we are on the same page.  The quote you listed is from the owner's manual and is in reference to DSP modes.

I certainly could be wrong, but the crossover setting should be completely independent from DSP settings.  Additionally, crossover settings are having no effect on other inputs not using 2 channel bypass.

rhassle

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2020, 05:26 pm »
I don't think he is wrong. Here is an excerpt from the Sub-Woofer tech note that can be obtained on the Bryston support site.

Two channel bypass mode is selected by the front panel button labelled “2 CH. BYPASS” and applies to analog stereo (left and right only) input signals.  The signals are bypassing the Digital Signal Processor (DSP) and are routed only through analog preamps and analog volume control circuit. 

ccpeabody

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2020, 07:05 pm »
I don't think he is wrong. Here is an excerpt from the Sub-Woofer tech note that can be obtained on the Bryston support site.

Two channel bypass mode is selected by the front panel button labelled “2 CH. BYPASS” and applies to analog stereo (left and right only) input signals.  The signals are bypassing the Digital Signal Processor (DSP) and are routed only through analog preamps and analog volume control circuit.
Yes... Totally agree however I believe the crossover setting of the front channels should still be independent of mode, whether it be DD or 2 Channel Bypass.  In past processors, I could dial up the crossover frequency to reduce the amount of base being sent to the big B&W's even in 2 channel bypass.

Additionally, in other DSP modes on the Bryston, when not using 2 channel bypass, the crossover still has no effect that I can discern.

I'm probably missing something huge here and am going to end up looking like a ding-dong but so far, I can just not figure this processor out.

I'll keep at it and be sure to post any follow up.

Again guys, really appreciate you trying to help!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2020, 07:10 pm »
Yes... Totally agree however I believe the crossover setting of the front channels should still be independent of mode, whether it be DD or 2 Channel Bypass.  In past processors, I could dial up the crossover frequency to reduce the amount of base being sent to the big B&W's even in 2 channel bypass.

Additionally, in other DSP modes on the Bryston, when not using 2 channel bypass, the crossover still has no effect that I can discern.

I'm probably missing something huge here and am going to end up looking like a ding-dong but so far, I can just not figure this processor out.

I'll keep at it and be sure to post any follow up.

Again guys, really appreciate you trying to help!

Hi - Email Mike at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

james

ccpeabody

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2020, 07:38 pm »
Thanks James,

I was hoping not to have to bother Mike at home.  I know you guys are shut down right now and it's most likely something silly that I'm missing.

I'll shoot him a msg and see if he can help.

Cheers!

ccpeabody

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2020, 09:54 pm »
To Dynky and rhassle,

Just wanted to say thank you.  You were both right!  Had a chance to exchange a few Emails with Mike Pickett at Bryston this afternoon and it turns out that the crossover settings and the DSP modes are, indeed, tied together in the SP-3.  This is why, as you both pointed out, changing the crossover settings while operating in 2-Channel Bypass Mode had no effect.  It's also, why setting the speaker size to small had no effect in 2-Channel Bypass Mode.

The work around is to switch to Stereo Mode (DSP).  This will allow the crossover settings to work, but only if the front speakers are set to "Small".  If the speakers are set to "Large", the crossover setting will have no effect.

Anyway, all sorted.

Thank you gentlemen, your replies were greatly appreciated.

ragg987

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2020, 05:31 pm »
Not sure the above is correct, maybe depends on versions and firmware.

On my 2012 sp3 with 2014 firmware I can use 2 channel bypass as well as enable the subwoofer. I use this setting:
- speaker size : front : small
- subwoofer : subwoofer : on
- subwoofer : in2bypass : on
- subwoofer : xtrabass : disable

I have the crossover set to 80Hz, don't know if this makes a difference.

The audio quality between bypass and stereo is big, stereo being the poorer cousin. Avoid.

ccpeabody

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2020, 08:08 pm »
Not sure the above is correct, maybe depends on versions and firmware.

On my 2012 sp3 with 2014 firmware I can use 2 channel bypass as well as enable the subwoofer. I use this setting:
- speaker size : front : small
- subwoofer : subwoofer : on
- subwoofer : in2bypass : on
- subwoofer : xtrabass : disable

I have the crossover set to 80Hz, don't know if this makes a difference.

The audio quality between bypass and stereo is big, stereo being the poorer cousin. Avoid.

I've been wrong so many times, I've lost count but I think... you will find that any changes you make to the crossover setting of your front speakers, while in 2-Channel Byspass, will have no effect.

I would appreciate your feedback as it would be an easy test.  Just set the crossover at the two extremes, while in 2-Channel Bypass and see what you think.

Agree, Stereo sucks compared to 2-Channel Bypass.

Appreciate the feedback.

ragg987

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2020, 09:46 pm »
OK I confirm crossover is not respected with bypass mode. I can elect to switch the sub on or not, if on the bass is routed to the sub in addition to the mains.

M3 EuroLTW

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2020, 09:50 pm »
It may be possible that "bypass mode with sub" allows crossover selection, but only where the sub is to begin its blend...the bypass lets the main pair do their thing unmolested.

ccpeabody

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2020, 11:11 pm »
OK I confirm crossover is not respected with bypass mode. I can elect to switch the sub on or not, if on the bass is routed to the sub in addition to the mains.
Perfect.  I had quite a conversation with Mike Pickett at Bryston who explained exactly how the crossover settings worked.  I was hoping that I hadn't got it wrong.

Cheers!

ragg987

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2020, 02:39 pm »
It may be possible that "bypass mode with sub" allows crossover selection, but only where the sub is to begin its blend...the bypass lets the main pair do their thing unmolested.
Yes, that is how the cross-over works - i.e. as a low-pass filter to the sub. Confirmed on my unit.

ccpeabody

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2020, 03:00 pm »
Yes, that is how the cross-over works - i.e. as a low-pass filter to the sub. Confirmed on my unit.
Great information guys.

Thanks again for chiming in.