Schiit Freya+ Cap and Resistor Mod

Presb4

Schiit Freya+ Cap and Resistor Mod
« on: 6 Jan 2024, 08:53 pm »
Its time for me to void my warranty  :icon_lol: and upgrade the coupling caps and tube stage resistors in my stock Schiit Freya+ Pre-Amp. Not sure if this topic has been discussed here on AC, a quick search did not turn anything up. Reading over on Headfi there are a few posts but as I enjoy the AC community better, I figured I would post this process here instead.

The primary goal of this thread is to document my mod process, the results I hear and the value it created for me compared to other mods/upgrades like new/different tubes, cables, power isolation ect.

If anyone else here has modded their Freya's, plus or regular, please chime in and share your experiences.

I will order the parts I need today and complete the mods in the coming weeks.

My list of upgrades to complete are:
*Remove and install new coupling caps for the tube circuit. - the new caps used will be V-Cap ODAM 400VDC 2.2 uf
*Remove and install new resistors in the audio signal path for the tube circuit. - the new resistors used will be Amtrans 47K and 22K Ohm 2W AMRG Series Carbon Film ± 1%
*Add more ventilation to the top of the case above the power transformers to reduce the overall temps the caps see during operation.
*Remove the stock case feet and upgrade with 1/2 tall isolating soft rubber feet.

Craig Young

Re: Schiit Freya+ Cap and Resistor Mod
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2024, 10:05 pm »
I would love to hear about the difference that you experience hearing before and after the change.

I did a cap replacing on a new preamp so I don't know what the original unit sounds like. The thing that sticks out in my memories is removing the old caps, I used a flush cutter and cut it out to reduce the heat exposure time when I removed the old solder and the tiny lead.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2024, 10:23 pm »
This is going to be fun to watch. Just curious, do you use the rca or XLR connections? When I modded a bifrost2 a while back, I heard a good improvement swapping the rca to the KLE Harmony compared to the stock plugs. I've heard the Freya+ boosts performance very well with upgrades so you should be in for a treat.  :popcorn:

Presb4

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2024, 04:43 am »
I have thought about picking up a different tube pre-amp in-lieu of modding my Freya+ but for the money, I just cant find a better Pre-Amp that has both RCA and XLR inputs and outputs, not to mention, the Freya maintains the discreate balanced circuit all the way through. Who else does this sub 1k??

I have had my Freya+ for almost 2 years now, so I am very familiar with its factory sound signature.
I am very excited to hear what the change will be post mod as I already know what differences my NOS tubes bring to the sonic table.

I have the Bitfrost 2/64 DAC and use the Balanced XLR outs to the Freya+ Balanced Input, I then run balanced out to each of my Schiit Tyr Monoblocks.
I tried using the RCA inputs and outputs, but went back to balanced as I felt the soundstage was a bit better and there was no downside. I can run longer cables to my mono blocks as they offer better shielding than RCA's. But when I output from my Freya+ to my tube power amp I use RCA's, so I might have to take a look at those KLE Harmony plugs.

Now I just have to wait for the post man to deliver my new caps.

Denton J

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2024, 11:45 pm »
What tubes are you planning on using after the mods?

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2024, 04:02 am »
new caps used will be V-Cap ODAM 400VDC 2.2 uf
1/2 tall isolating soft rubber feet.

What is the brand and value of stock cap?  2.2 uF seems likely overkill and likely too large to fit if premium caps are used?

Presb4

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2024, 06:25 am »
What tubes are you planning on using after the mods?

I have a number of different NOS 6SN7's, RCA, Sylvania, GE's mostly. My favorites right now are the Sylvania GT's from around 1952 (Bad Boys 3 hole)

Presb4

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2024, 06:28 am »
What is the brand and value of stock cap?  2.2 uF seems likely overkill and likely too large to fit if premium caps are used?

The stock Schiit Freya+ uses Wima 2.2 uF caps. I have had the chassis open and measured the space before I purchased, the 2.2 uF ODAM caps will fit.

Presb4

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2024, 05:14 am »
So in prep for the venting modification, I CAD'd up a simple template that mimics the hole pattern that Schiit uses on their products. I will add it below as an image that if printed on an 8.5"x11" sheet full size, it should scale correctly. I plan on using this and a center punch to locate the holes over the transformers before drilling.

aricml

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2024, 05:42 pm »
I don't like this thread.. I love it!  I will certainly be watching closely and can't wait to see your progress!

rmdtexas

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2024, 10:31 pm »
as a Freya+ owner, i appreciate the sharing of the info including the tubes you are using.

Thanks.

lokie

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2024, 10:46 pm »
Are the RCA and XLR's active simultaneously? As in running the second active line to a sub processor.
Thx

Craig Young

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2024, 04:35 am »
I am feeding 2 ea. xlr's to my main speaker amps and 4 ea. rca's to my sub amps.

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2024, 07:32 am »
Hi,

I'll be watching this thread with interest :). Good luck with your modifications.

Cheers Rod

anicca

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2024, 06:02 am »
Can you explain how you opened up the Freya+ to replace the caps?   I would like to replace the fuse with an audiophile fuse but after an attempt, couldn't figure it out.

Presb4

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2024, 04:55 pm »
Can you explain how you opened up the Freya+ to replace the caps?   I would like to replace the fuse with an audiophile fuse but after an attempt, couldn't figure it out.

Sure, I will take a few pics and show you how to open the cover and get at the fuse.
I have tried a number of mods on other equipment I own and have settled on only upgrading components in the audio circuit path. Modifying other components, like in the power circuit, I don't find to be worth the effort, or money. So I will not be upgrading my fuse, unless it blows  :lol:

Presb4

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2024, 05:09 pm »
Ok, the mail man delivered and today the mods start. Of course it is also the coldest day of the year so far, so it will take me 1/2 of the day just to heat my shop up where I will work   :o

But until I get going, here a few pics of the components I will be installing.

Presb4

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2024, 05:10 pm »
Close up.
BTW, I am really hoping I get similar results installing the Amtrans resistors, that I have on other Amps. Very smooth and warm sounding resistor in my experience.

This will be the first time using V-Cap ODAM's, but I have heard nothing but good reviews.

anicca

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2024, 12:42 am »
Sure, I will take a few pics and show you how to open the cover and get at the fuse.

Thanks so much.  I bet those VCaps are gonna sound great.  I like the Freya+.  Nice little preamp.  I like the balanced in and out, and no frills.  Much to my surprise I've found that an audiophile fuse can make a difference, but I'm sure won't come close to those VCaps.

SET Man

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2024, 02:33 am »
Close up.
BTW, I am really hoping I get similar results installing the Amtrans resistors, that I have on other Amps. Very smooth and warm sounding resistor in my experience.

This will be the first time using V-Cap ODAM's, but I have heard nothing but good reviews.

Hey!

Oh! Damn! :lol: Look like you have over $400 worth of V-Caps there :o

Anyway, I've never use V-Cap so I'd be curious to hear your feedback on them.