After full factory reset the default volume is something insensible in
the Jan 7 version. No other fixes yet.

roscoeiii

Re: Dspeaker Dual Core review
« Reply #181 on: 20 Feb 2013, 02:45 pm »
Latest Feb. 13 firmware details:

After full factory reset the default volume is something insensible in
the Jan 7 version. No other fixes yet.
Can you be more specific about the change you are talking about?

TheMooN

« Reply #182 on: 22 Feb 2013, 12:28 am »

All connectivity advice greatly appreciated .
TVM.

« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2013, 08:39 pm by TheMooN »

cremar

« Reply #183 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:21 am »
Well...I have the DC here but have run into problems.  I tried using my current setup which is a 2.1 system with the sub connected off the speaker taps of my integrated amp.  I ran the measurements and was given the before/after view.  However, when I try playing music I get distortion, phase issues etc.  I went back to my current dac and got everything playing correctly again, so the amp and speakers are fine.  Any ideas as to what I've done wrong?  Will I need to connect the amp balanced and the sub unbalanced?  I have some xlr to rca converters but will need to purchase interconnects with a female end.

rodge827

« Reply #184 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:57 am »
Well...I have the DC here but have run into problems.  I tried using my current setup which is a 2.1 system with the sub connected off the speaker taps of my integrated amp.  I ran the measurements and was given the before/after view.  However, when I try playing music I get distortion, phase issues etc.  I went back to my current dac and got everything playing correctly again, so the amp and speakers are fine.  Any ideas as to what I've done wrong?  Will I need to connect the amp balanced and the sub unbalanced?  I have some xlr to rca converters but will need to purchase interconnects with a female end.

Where is the DC placed in the system?
Anything plugged into the DC?
Output from DC?

cremar

« Reply #185 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:31 am »
I'm using the USB output of my computer to the USB input of the DC.  Then analogue out to the integrated amp.

rodge827

« Reply #186 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:47 am »
Hmmm...
When you ran the calibration did you get sound from the speakers?
Which calibration did you use Typical or Advanced?
Are you using the volume control on the DC or the Integrated?
Which input on the integrated ?
What is your integrated?
You may be trying to run to many volts through the input on the integrated and over driving it. (?)

I know this is a lot of questions and some are pedestrian, but they might by helpful.

rodge827

« Reply #187 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:55 am »
Try this, Turn the volume on the DC down to 0 (no sound) , turn the volume on your integrated up to a point where you would normally listen.
Then slowly turn up the volume on the DC until you have what you can hear as normal loudness. Leave the DC in that position and use the integrated's volume control for loudness control.
This might cure your issue.

cremar

« Reply #188 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:23 am »
While you were typing those responses I was up in my room trying the volume.  When I ran the Typical 2.0 calibration I did get sound.  I left the room and listened from behind a closed door.  My integrated is the Doge 5 from Pacific Valve and I'm using the same input I normally use...just left the interconnects where they were.  When I tried it again this time (didn't change anything to do with volume at first), it sounded much better...no more phase issues.  But it doesn't get too far into a song before it starts breaking up.  In an old setup I had, my dac had too high an output voltage for the integrated I had at the time and I would get clipping.  This doesn't sound the same but maybe it's clipping.  I don't know why it sounded better this time though.  I tried reducing volume but it didn't seem to have any effect on the break up.  I don't think I have the latest version of the firmware because I'm not seeing some of the menus that the online owners manual has.  I'm also having trouble getting to the main menu.  Many times I'll get jibberish.  Many times when I cycle through the inputs, the USB is grayed out.  Maybe the unit is defective?

rodge827

« Reply #189 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:32 am »
What is the sample rate of the music you a running through the USB input?
Perhaps the there is a mismatch in the sample rates?
Is this a new 2012/2013 or used unit?

You can go to Dspeaker and upload the latest firmware, that might help.

Are you able to bypass the preamp section of your integrated and use it as a straight 2 channel amp?

cremar

« Reply #190 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:36 am »
The music I was using was 16/44.  It must be a used unit since it's a loaner from Tweek Geek for in home auditions.  I was thinking uploading the latest firmware would be a good idea too, but I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure he's okay with me doing that.  Thanks for your help!

cremar

« Reply #191 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:37 am »
Oops, missed your last question...no I can't bypass preamp section.

rodge827

« Reply #192 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:43 am »
Your welcome cremar...have the Tweek Geek do the firmware updates...He will have the DC and will see if there are any issues not related to the firm ware.

The DC is so new and there is a learning curve to using it's features.
I spoke with the US distributor a while back and he is trying to get some tutorials on Youtube.
Do a search maybe there are a few.

Chris 

cremar

« Reply #193 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:58 am »
I have it working!!!  I went into mpod (music player for my Vortexbox based computer) and turned down the volume...breakup is gone.  Unfortunately now it's not bit perfect.  The input sensitivity is set to low on this unit.  Will the firmware fix this?  Oh no...the break up is back. :(

rodge827

« Reply #194 on: 22 Feb 2013, 04:05 am »
Driving you crazy?  :x

I'm sure there is some kind of a fix in the settings menu.
I use mine with a CD transport and as a preamp to my amp and subs no USB yet.
Do you have a CDP, CDT, or DVD that you can spin a CD with and use either the optical or analog input?

If so give it a try and see how things go.  :D

Chris

cremar

« Reply #195 on: 22 Feb 2013, 04:14 am »
I'm actually feeling a little better than I was earlier...hopefully the firmware update will fix this problem.  At this point, there doesn't seem to be a setting that I can adjust...I've been through the menus over and over again.  I do have a CDP...I'll give that a try! 

cremar

« Reply #196 on: 22 Feb 2013, 05:04 am »
The DC likes my CD player much more than my computer.  No problems with the CD player at all.

wisnon

« Reply #197 on: 22 Feb 2013, 07:37 am »
Can you be more specific about the change you are talking about?
Thats all I got from them...
Update: Feb 20.

■Important notice: If you are using an earlier beta firmware from 2013, please update to the latest release. Performing a factory reset in some of the earlier versions may set the volume level to a very high setting. This behavior should now be fixed.
■Improved USB compatibility with Macintosh computers
■Channel delay dialog improvement; delay values can now be changed permanently without performing full room calibration
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2013, 10:04 am by wisnon »

wisnon

« Reply #198 on: 22 Feb 2013, 10:16 am »
I have it working!!!  I went into mpod (music player for my Vortexbox based computer) and turned down the volume...breakup is gone.  Unfortunately now it's not bit perfect.  The input sensitivity is set to low on this unit.  Will the firmware fix this?  Oh no...the break up is back. :(

How old is the firmware on your device? Even relatively old ones should already be corrected for this:

May 30 2012
■Volume adjustment in USB mode no longer interrupts the audio
■Adjusting volume from computer in USB mode no longer causes glitches in audio
■Input overdrive warning added
■New translations: Swedish, Dutch, German
■Multi-point calibration was not always enabled after the primary calibration; should be better now
■Full factory reset now clears all settings (volume, number of profiles etc)
■Added manual channel balance adjustment
■Added input volume trim: adjust the relative volume of S/PDIF and analog inputs
■Default input sensitivity changed to "low" for better compatibility
■Added user-adjustable input sensitivity: better support for "hot" audio sources (DACs etc)
■Fixed rare audio glitch with certain digital audio sources
■Left/right arrow keys can now be used to switch active input
■More visible indication of bypass mode
■Miscellaneous small fixes

Apr 19 2012 R3
■Analog input sensitivity increased (from 1.6V to 3.25V with RCA; from 1.3V to 2.6V with XLR). Fixes analog incompatibility with certain "hot" audio sources (DACs etc) that output at excessively high voltages.
■Improved digital compatibility with certain devices (in rare occasions there was a possibility of audible glitches)
■Fixed GUI slowdown when entering the menu from USB mode

The 2013 model has even greater input sensitivities:
Analog specifications (2013 revision)
■Dynamic Range: > 108dB
■Volume Control Steps: 0.5dB
■Input Sensitivity XLR: 3.9/7.9 Vrms, RCA: 2.5/5.0 Vrms
■Output Voltage Unbalanced RCA: 7.2 V(RMS) max
■Output Voltage Balanced XLR: 14.4 V(RMS) max

rodge827

« Reply #199 on: 22 Feb 2013, 12:21 pm »
The DC likes my CD player much more than my computer.  No problems with the CD player at all.

OK,

Did you use the Analog or SPDIF out from your CDP?

If you tried both outputs to the subsequent inputs on the DC, and got good results, than it looks like we have narrowed it down to the USB input.

So there must be something going on with the USB inter-phase.

1) If possible try a different source for the USB input.
2) Download the latest firmware.
3) Try a different USB cable.

Since this is a demo unit, there may also be damage to the USB connectors on the DC.(?)

Chris