JBL 708P review

hoxuanduc

Re: JBL 708P review
« Reply #40 on: 7 Aug 2019, 07:36 pm »

Very possibly. I guess I should have tempered my response by saying I've never seen/experienced the 705/8P - again, at only 12lbs with amp and with the "organ-pipe" resonance - and my experience with my 305P's that everyone said was fabulous - which at their price point are excellent - but I wasn't that thrilled with them. A lot of wooly (not tight) bass that I didn't care for, until I braced and put non-drying clay on the woofer baskets. They were just SO much better on the low end.

Was just throwing my .03 out there. I could very well be wrong.

Agree with Charmeci's experience.  I also have the LSR305.  It's OK stock, but you can hear smearing from the box.  I beefed up the baffles with Durham wood putty (one can for each) and lined the box with No-Rez from GR-research, then added the LSR310 subs with high pass option to remove bass below 80 Hz from the monitor.  Much better (esp with the sub)... I think the LSR305 is a very well designed speaker, only limited by the part quality at its price point.  Make sure to feed it with high quality DAC.  Heck, you can't DIY a decent pair of speakers at $300 including amp.

Duc

Russell Dawkins

Re: JBL 708P DAC
« Reply #41 on: 8 Aug 2019, 03:09 am »

I intend to use the JBLs with digital input - HD audio files.
Would you recommend getting a separate DAC vs. using the one built into the speakers?

Thanks in advance!
Hilmir

My feeling is the room aspect (room dimensions, speaker positioning, acoustic treatment, etc.) are far more relevant factors to sound quality than variability between DACs. Go with the built in DAC and spend money elsewhere.