Cornet2 & oil filled capacitor

rotcoddam

« on: 17 Feb 2005, 12:46 am »
At C106, this is a  47uf 450v electrolytic. Can I replace it with a 48uf 300vac oil-filled motor run can? I figured if it's AC rated then maybe good enough for this spot? Are there any other can positions in the Cornet2  that might be a good candidate for this oil-filled type? Anyone try these? I put them in my Foreplay preamp with good results.
TIA. The mad doctor.

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2005, 05:45 am »
I think you mean C103.  Sure, you should be able to use that oil cap.  Assuming, of course, an oil cap can handle continous dc.

jh :)

rotcoddam

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2005, 01:35 pm »
:oops: Yeah C103, (I only looked at that thing 5 times!).  Thanks Jim.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2005, 05:44 pm »
Doc, I don't know what that particular cap does, so maybe I shouldn't offer my opinion, but here goes...

I'd consider replacing that 'lytic with an SCR/Solen 'propylene of 47/400 or 56/400 values, properly bypassed, of course.  They're 1.5 and 1.75" diameter and about 2-1/2" long.

Even only-medium-quality 'propylenes are better sounding than anything but the best (Black Gate) 'lytics.

BTW, to convert AC- to DC-rated caps, multiply the AC rating by 2.9.  Has to do with continous (DC) voltage v. peak-to-peak (AC) waveforms.

Salectric

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2005, 12:32 pm »
Coincidentally, I have been swapping a 20uf ASC oil and 47uf/630v. Solen in my Cornet during the past couple weeks.  Both are good sounding caps for power supply applications.  For my tastes, the ASC is overall superior due to its nice midbass warmth and dynamics and smooth detailed sound across the entire spectrum.  The Solen is somewhat faster and has more of a "hifi spectacular" sound.  It is also leaner in the midbass (or is the ASC oil too warm?) and has, for lack of a better term, a mechanical plastic sound in the mids and treble.  I can easily see someone choosing the Solen over the ASC, but my priorities favor the ASC.

Lastly, if you try the Solen, be sure to try hooking it up in both directions.  It's non-polarized so you can wire it either way.  It does sound different depending on which end is connected to the positive and which to the negative.  Also be sure to give each cap adequate time for breakin.  By reputation the ASC takes a fairly long time, 50 hours or so.  I just left it powered up for a couple days before listening carefully, so can't comment on that myself.  The Solen only took a few hours as I recall

Enjoy!

Dave