Bottlehead FP and TX102; 2X mono Seiden with remote!WOW!

ImTweaked

First I want to thank John Chapman for the immense patience and assistance. A true Audio pro and delight to do business with.

PROJECT :  Goal was to use boutique resistors and the best attenuators- but the cost was rediculous and I would still be listening to resistors galore. Some companies change their product ; some reduce their quality and some left the biz. I did not want that kind of hassle when I have to replace resistors and find out their such and such is no longer....you know what I mean.
So I looked into TVC and found out that OCC wires are used in the windings. All my interconnects are OCC based. Did reserch on others opinion on TVC. Contacted John to clear up a few things and the rest is BLISS and history!
Basically using TX102 (copper) to eliminate existing sweet whispers. Still an Active Preamp.
My EXPERIENCE : Buildt an all bottlehead system 2 years ago- Paraglow 2; Foreplay, Straight 8. Limited circuit knowledge. Thats all.

I partially re layout my Foreplay Preamp from Doc Bottlehead to accommodate the TX 102s in my own 1/8th thick copper chassis. This is a daunting task on the outset for some one like myself ( I thought)...John's encouragement and quick response on email and voice helped me through. I also added the remote which in my case drives 2 seiden mono switches. I used OCC wire as hook up wire and changed all female RCAs to the Vampire mostly copper types. BTW I have all silver interconnects as well... using them to tweak the sound scape with. :D

RESULTS: Open , and detailed without harshness..Deeper sound stage and transparency. Much more smooth. All areas improve hard to put percentages on them. I would say the bass is much cleaner , violins dont sound as edgy; voice detail is increased (like Louis smacking his lips inbetween phrases). high symbols have a few more notes in them - as oppose to a flat one sylable type sound...more realistic. Like sitting 15 feet from the drummer in a torch song slow tune...
Most importantly very musical.

If you are considering the TVC 102 for active or passive duty - dont wait like I did . Happy listening to all. I will post pictures after VSAC.'03

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2003, 03:35 pm »
Hello!

Glad you are still having fun with the pre-amp! The remote to two switches was a bit of an experiment and I am glad it worked out well! I really am looking forward to seeing the unit at VSAC - you have a reputation for cool design's and I bet it turned out really nice.

Many Thanks!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

ImTweaked

Hi John
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2003, 11:20 pm »
Will see you at vsac.!
Friend of mine who is also going to VSAC is interested in the basic single seiden with remote. I will hook you up with him.

Are the flat cables for the remote receiving sensor readily available? At Radio Shack? I need to have twice the length  due to my custom cabinet.
I suppose I could solder to them with the OCC 25 gauge  :idea:

Music is F l o w i n g..

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2003, 12:06 am »
Hello!

I am looking forward to VSAC too! The type of extender you have (thin white flat cable) is from digikey. I can dig up a part number for you if you don't have a catalog handy.

Thanks!

John

ImTweaked

digikey # please
« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2003, 02:32 am »
Hello!
John,if you dont mind plaese give me the part number from digikey[/b]

I am looking forward to VSAC too! The type of extender you have (thin white flat cable) is from digikey. I can dig up a part number for you if you don't have a catalog handy.

Thanks!

John[/quote]

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2003, 02:33 pm »
Hello!

The digikey part number is A9BAG-030Xf - whre 'X' is the length in inches. The longest is 8" so that may not be long enough to fit your 'case'. Two could likely be put together in series but that might get a bit clunky. As an alternate plan I can make a ribbon cable for you with a 3 pin connector on the end and send it down if that would work - just let me know the exact length and I'll get one on it's way.

Many Thanks!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

ImTweaked

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:45 pm »
John, Thanks for the offer, I will finalize in a week and let you know the length. I also noticed I have the option of extending the regular wires.....but the sensor needs to be extended to be situated in front panel area. Will let you know.
BTW I have completed testing and comparison of my new inteerconnects successfully. Will bring it over to your booth at VSAC.
Regards
TH