MAC Mini News. STOP THE PRESSES!!!

rogerdn

Re: MAC Mini News. STOP THE PRESSES!!!
« Reply #40 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:19 pm »
Darrell,

Can you supply a RAID 1 FW 800 backup ?  If not how do you recommend BU be done, i.e., to maintain optimum performance, since you have carefully selected all the hardware ?

dmccombs

« Reply #41 on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:38 pm »
Absolutly, a RAID backup is great.  The enclosure we provide for music has two Firewire 800 ports so your backup can plug in via Firewire 800 for fast backups.   :thumb:

dvenardos

« Reply #42 on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:55 pm »
Have you looked at the new appleTV? That could save most of the cost of the mac mini if it could made to work.

Can you use an optical dac with the mac mini, or only usb/firewire?

dmccombs

« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:02 am »
Have you looked at the new appleTV? That could save most of the cost of the mac mini if it could made to work.

We haven't thought seriously about the Apple TV.  I dont think it has the connections we want.

Yes, we have used the HiFace to connect the Mach2 MacMini to DACs with an optical input.  Kevin runs this way and it sounds terrific in his set up.

Darrell

srb

« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:05 am »

The Mac Mini also has a combination headphone/Mini-Toslink optical output jack on the rear panel.

Steve

TomS

« Reply #45 on: 19 Oct 2010, 01:05 am »
Darrell,

I also see the value in your product, but I also have roots in the software world  :wink:  You have to make some money somewhere there.

Are you considering a dual boot option like the Amarra Complete product they showed (since you're a dealer now)?  It seems ideal if you already have a Mac. 

Any thoughts on how yours would be different from their stripped down OS offering?

Tom

dmccombs

« Reply #46 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:38 am »
Tom,

I hear what you are saying.  lol

Mamba suggested this also.  We can do it.  It would take more install time and a larger SSD drive so the cost would be a little higher.  A lot of run headless, so this may make a dual-boot machine less useful.  But for some, this may be a viable option.

I haven't seen their stripped OS version yet so I can't make any comparisons.

Darrell

dmccombs

« Reply #47 on: 6 Nov 2010, 06:28 pm »
I wanted to give the group here an update.  We have been quite busy with orders since RMAF and we've gotten to meet some really cool people here.  It's been hectic, but rewarding.    :thumb:

We got our website updated with a shopping cart and more Questions/Answers.  We included a lot of comments/suggestions we got from people here.  Thanks for taking the time to provide the constructive feedback. 

Feel free to check out the site, buy some stuff, give us some feedback, whatever.  It's all good when you deal with such a fine group.

Thanks for your interest in our product.

Darrell
www.mach2music.com

nickd

« Reply #48 on: 13 Nov 2010, 06:54 pm »
Hi Dave,
Good to hear you're on the mend.

get by your local wall mart and stock up on "Align Digestive Care" in the vitamin section. You get 6 weeks worth for about $40.00 it will help save your system from all that nasty Antibiotic with out having to eat a million calories of yogurt. :nono:

I hooked up with Kevin and ordered a Mach2 mini with 8GB ram and the 1TB external wall powered hard drive. Keven told me he had been playing with Amarra and it was the real thing. So I ordered that too :o

my tranquility has been sitting for 4 weeks. If my Mach2 Mini shows up next week, I am going to have the best Thanksgiving weekend ever :dance: :dance:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #49 on: 14 Nov 2010, 01:59 am »
Hi Dave,
Good to hear you're on the mend.

get by your local wall mart and stock up on "Align Digestive Care" in the vitamin section. You get 6 weeks worth for about $40.00 it will help save your system from all that nasty Antibiotic with out having to eat a million calories of yogurt. :nono:

I hooked up with Kevin and ordered a Mach2 mini with 8GB ram and the 1TB external wall powered hard drive. Keven told me he had been playing with Amarra and it was the real thing. So I ordered that too :o

my tranquility has been sitting for 4 weeks. If my Mach2 Mini shows up next week, I am going to have the best Thanksgiving weekend ever :dance: :dance:
Nick, thanks for the wishes and the advice.  I'm gonna get that probiotic and give it a try.  A man can only eat so much yogurt and kefir.

I was over at Darrells today and I saw the stack of Mini's.  Yours was there and they are working on it.  I think you are gonna have a great Thanksgiving.

Get ready to do the happy dance.   :banana piano:

Dave

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #50 on: 14 Nov 2010, 03:41 am »

You would perhaps want the old 40GB AppleTV. That one had a HD and a complete (Intel CPU) computer in it, which is hackable to boot an alternate OS. Newer units (that came stock with bigger HD's) are not so hackable; avoid them. The new AppleTV is more like an iPhone; same processor, similar architecture. It does what it's programmed to do, which is fine, but isn't extendable like the old one was.

Personally, I prefer a G4 Mini. The PPC Chip doesn't have the issues with overhead that a pipeline-driven Intel CPU does; it does all instructions Out-Of-Order by design. A cache flush only re-introduces the broken instruction, not a pipeline of instructions, which takes much longer.

[A similar, but illustrative issue can be replicated with video ... a PPC Mac with a processor speed of well under 500 Mhz and a 32MB video card can run 6 or 8 videos simultaneously on the screen, you can change size, move them, etc, on the fly and the video resizes or the window moves in real time while playing, with no audio or video dropouts or hiccups on any of the videos, active or otherwise.

You can alternately run all 8 full screen simultaneously, and command-tab to switch each to the frontmost window, and audio and video sync perfectly and switch instantly without any visible artifacts; if they were all the exact same length and content, and started simultaneously, they end at exactly the same time and you can't find one out of sync with the other. Even now my 2.8 GHz/4 GB Intel machine starts to stutter at 4, and my old 2.0 GHz Core Duo couldn't even do two properly. Those examples are a much greater CPU overhead than playing audio].

When I upgraded my G4 400 Mhz Mac Desktop (1.5GB RAM @ 128 GHz) to an Intel 2.0GHz Core Duo (2.0 GB RAM @ 667 GHz), that's when I began to have issues with dropouts unless stripped to bare functionality.

Multitasking while running audio was never a problem on the G4, although it's been my practice to always, as soon as I install any app, to turn off automatic checking for new versions. That's been my only compromise to reducing overhead in the past with G4 chip machines.

This is consistent with experiences of others I know who do home recording studio setups regarding how Intel machines needed to be very carefully dedicated to audio while PPC machines not so much, but a lot of that was with circa 2000 hardware ... I had assumed the newer 686 Intel-based units had mitigated that.

I found out I was a bit too optimistic on that front.

The PPC chips, which I had run for about five years previously, handled it fine; I never had a problem with continuity or dropout errors processing audio on the G4, even when recording 8-channel 24/96 live. If there was a bottleneck, it was hard drive I/O (I used 10K SCSI disks).

The G4 400 is long retired; I use a 2.8 GHz Intel machine for my daily work. But, for a music server, I bought a used G4/1.5 GHz Mini. Works perfectly with (the maxed out) 1 GB RAM and OS 10.4x. No need to move to 10.5; it actually slows the machine down due to lots of increased, but not useful for the task, feature set. Having said that, even 10.5 didn't produce issues with audio playback or audio file processing on the IBM CPU.

I'm not suggesting that a G4 Mini is the ultimate music server, or that the new Minis, with or without PI's mods, don't offer value to someone interested in a music server, or even that I wished Apple were still using PPC chips, but I have to say with audio and video specifically, it was a downgrade moving to Intel from the PPC chip architecture. Time heals all things, but to tell you the truth I'm surprised that Intel is just catching up, if it even is, with audio processing performance.

Apple had no choice at the time but to move to Intel, and it's arguable that it took the switch to Intel to get Windows users over the mental hump of going to what they didn't know from what they did. The Intel machines work great for all kinds of tasks, and the newest Mini might be great ... I have a 2.53 Mini but use it as a data server/video security system, and it seems to work fine. I haven't tried it for audio (haven't needed to) but it seemed to handle Netflix fine without problems on it's other jobs. In fact, if anything gets me to retire the G4 Mini, it will be net-based video integration with an A/V System.

But to be honest, if you're on a budget, (and why would you be asking about a single function, current version of the AppleTV if you weren't?) a G4 mini and a good USB or FW DAC is a great solution. Just install the OS and iTunes out of the box (10.4 is the typical OEM version), set it up for your DAC, and run her. No need to get into the Terminal and start lowering overhead; it will handle the overhead fine. You can use Firewire or USB (USB 1.1 can handle 24 bit @ <220 KHz sampling rate, based on the 12Mbps maximum data rate; 24/196 is a data rate of 9.216 Mbps. Be sure to have just the audio device on a single dedicated USB bus).
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 05:19 am by Johnny2Bad »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #51 on: 14 Nov 2010, 06:00 am »
Johnny thanks for the post.  There is a lot of good info in there pretaining to Apple TV and great audio on a budget.

A couple of things.  First, the Mac Mini mods aren't mine by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm just blessed to know Darrell and Kevin, they are then ones that have the Minis figured out.  Second, when fully optimized for audio, none of the older Minis hold a candle to the 2010.  This does not keep the older ones from being used for high quality music servers, they just don't sound as good as a fully optimized 2010.

Dave

dmccombs

« Reply #52 on: 14 Nov 2010, 09:36 pm »
The 2010 models do sound better than the previous models out of the box, but we have upgraded a few 2009 models, and they ROCKED!!!

If someone is buying a MacMini, I recommend a 2010 model, but a modded 2009 is a fantastic music server.  I was shocked at how good the 2009 models we worked on sounded.   :thumb:

Darrell
www.mach2music.com

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 14 Nov 2010, 09:39 pm »
Do you do the same mods to the 2009 models or something different?

dmccombs

« Reply #54 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:08 pm »
We do the same software mods and hardware upgrades.  Our software mods will work on Mac Minis that run Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6).   :thumb:

I was thrilled with how well the Mach2 mods made the 2009 models sound.

Darrell

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:16 pm »
We do the same software mods and hardware upgrades.  Our software mods will work on Mac Minis that run Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6).   :thumb:

I was thrilled with how well the Mach2 mods made the 2009 models sound.

Darrell

Would I still have internet access?  I need it for the artwork and track info.  Cost?

ebag4

« Reply #56 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:24 pm »
Has anyone experimented with pulling the music files off of the home network as opposed to using a firewire drive?  If so, what was the impact on the sound?

dmccombs

« Reply #57 on: 15 Nov 2010, 02:40 pm »
Would I still have internet access?  I need it for the artwork and track info.  Cost?

Jason,

Yes, Internet access works fine, wireless or wired.  We use the internet to stream music with Pandora.

Price will depend on weather you already had a Solid State Drive, and 4GB or more or RAM.

If you already have the SSD and 4-8GB of RAM, the software only mods are $395.

If you don't have the SSD and RAM, please e-mail me at info@mach2music.com with info about your setup, and I will get you a quote.

Darrell

ADD

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 15 Nov 2010, 04:57 pm »
I am not good with a computer. If it dont have gears what good is it. Anyway I have spend as much as 6000.00 on a good "CD" player alone and I was floored when I heard what Darrel, Kevin and Dave where doing with the mac mini that cost less than my girlfriend on a saturday night. RMAF turned many heads of people who refused to believe that the MAC SANDWICH PACKAGE was sounding so $^#@((* delicious. And for us gear heads its easy to use and all I have to know is its magic.
By the way I have a cd player for sale cheap.
Igor

jhm731

« Reply #59 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:05 pm »
A guy, username Mintzar, who builds and sells linear PSUs, posted this on CA:

"If you haven't purchased a Mac Mini yet, then I'd look for a 2009 Mac Mini on Ebay. The '09 mac mini with my power supply is CONSIDERABLY better than the 2010 Mac Mini. I did a demo for a gentleman last weekend comparing the 2010 Mini to an '09 mini with my low-end power supply and it wasn't even a contest. He was using the Tranquility DAC, which I don't especially care for to begin with, but it was a night and day difference between the two.”
See:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Mac-Mini-power-supply?page=2