Using Uberbuss with a Torus-like isolation transformer

mfsoa

I assume it's OK to ask Buss-specific questions here, Danny?

This is really hypothetical since I don't own a Buss (yet :drool:) or a Torus, but would there be any benefit in combining a Buss with a Torus or Richard Gray Substation-like isolation transformer.

I'd think that the power delivered from an iso tranny is as good as it can get, but maybe this is a naive notion?

I'd also guess that if one did combine them then the Buss would go after the iso tranny?

Any experience with this type of set-up?

And while I'm here, is it OK to plug digital sources and amplification into the same Uberbuss, or will the AC nasties from the digital then enter the amp via the Buss (or are the outlets in the Buss isolated so that the digital won't interfere w/ the amps). Or is it best to run the digital gear on its own Buss?

Thanks for any info!

-Mike

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Using Uberbuss with a Torus-like isolation transformer
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2010, 03:54 pm »
I think as long as it's a PI Audio, Dodd or GR product we're safe.   :thumb:  Thanks Danny!

Yes, you would plug the iso tranny into the wall then the buss into that.  You want the buss to be the last before the equipment.  No issue to plug any equipment into it.  In fact, the digital equipment really likes it. 

I'm sure Dave (Buss Daddy) will chime in.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:17 pm »
While it isn't a Torus like isolation transformer, I do use a Furman IT Reference 20i power conditioner (http://www.hometheatermag.com/accessories/607furman/) in conjunction with an UberBuss.

In my setup, I go from the wall (a dedicated 20 amp line with a pair of Oyaide R1 outlets) to the UberBuss and plug the Furman into the UberBuss.  All of my gear (pair of Atma-Sphere MA-1 amps, Plinius M8 preamp, Modwright Transporter, and powered subs on the Vandy 5A's) goes into the Furman's special outlets.

I found that this combination produced the best results for me.

As always, YMMV.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:29 pm »
Oh one more thing.

Lets try not to interrupt Dave because he's building me a custom buss.   :drool:

:lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:32 pm »
Mike-

If you use a Richard Gray Substation (240V) version you must plug that into the wall first then the Uber into it.  Of course this is if you are in the U.S.A. and your equipment runs on 120V. 

The 240V Substation is a step-down transformer...RGP does make a 120V version as well.

I owned the 240V version...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:34 pm »
Hi Mike  :wave: , I have a 2400 watt BPT plugged into my UberBuss which is plugged into a dedicated outlet with a Furutech 20A gold duplex outlet. Everything in my A/V system including my HTPC goes thru this combination via the BPT. I had the BPT balanced power conditioner for quite a while before adding the UberBuss last year and the Buss definitely took my system to another level. My home also sports over a dozen of those little "fart in a whirlwind" Alan Maher parallel filter PE series conditioners prior to the addition of the UberBuss. The parallel filter UberBuss is the whirlwind!  :thumb:

Laura (vinyl_lady) uses a MajikBuss in front of a PS Audio PPP and she's reported excellent results so the Buss seems to work great with regenerative conditioners also. It's been stated that using the Buss in front of a conditioner with a GFIC outlet will make that breaker pop so you'd have to have the Buss plugged into a GFIC conditioner instead of the other way around. MOV conditioners are a no-no also. I know nothing about the Torus, whether it's a simple Isolation tranny or a balanced power conditioner but it does seem to have lots of bells & whistles added to it. I'm sure the price reflects that all though I wouldn't know about that either.

I highly recommend Danny's free demo(if still available) of the MajikBuss Mike or just save the return shipping cuz you'll want to upgrade to the UberBuss anyways.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:37 pm »
dozen of those little "fart in a whirlwind" Alan Maher parallel filter PE series conditioners prior to the addition of the UberBuss. The parallel filter UberBuss is the whirlwind!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Cheers,
Robin

:rotflmao:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:42 pm »
I assume it's OK to ask Buss-specific questions here, Danny?

This is really hypothetical since I don't own a Buss (yet :drool:) or a Torus, but would there be any benefit in combining a Buss with a Torus or Richard Gray Substation-like isolation transformer.

I'd think that the power delivered from an iso tranny is as good as it can get, but maybe this is a naive notion?

I'd also guess that if one did combine them then the Buss would go after the iso tranny?

Any experience with this type of set-up?

And while I'm here, is it OK to plug digital sources and amplification into the same Uberbuss, or will the AC nasties from the digital then enter the amp via the Buss (or are the outlets in the Buss isolated so that the digital won't interfere w/ the amps). Or is it best to run the digital gear on its own Buss?

Thanks for any info!

-Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the questions.  I'm glad they are easy ones, I haven't had enough coffee, yet.

Let me tell you of my own (last, before Dodd battery gear) system, thereby answering your questions.

My power chain runs like this Panel with a whole house surge arrestor > homerun to listening room > wall outlet > Topaz 2.5KVA ultra isolation transformer > UberBUSS > gear.

When I started on the ultimate quiet system, I implemented the iso transformer and saw a very large drop in line noise.  I was using a PS Audio P300 PowerPlant at that time to power the front end (Cary CD306-200 and much modified Cary SLP50B) and had my Cary CAD572SEMkII monoblocks plugged into the Topaz, along with the P300.  Then I built my first prototype on the MajikBUSS and was amazed at the reduction of noise that the Topaz just didn't stop.  More than that there was an increase in the dynamics of the system, especially the digital sources.  At that point, the P300 became irrelevant and was removed from the system.  Then I built the UberBUSS.  It was apparent to me and everyone else that listened to the system that the Uber was actually more effective than the Topaz at removing the line crud, but when used in combination there was a synergy between the two units that was and is magical.  I will be using this combo one the music server, DAC and subamps in the new system.

One of the things that an iso tranny does not do is Power Factor Correction.  This enables any transformer or inductive load plugged into an Uber or Majik to run considerably more efficiently.  The result is a great sense of dynamic headroom, system punch, macro and micro detail delineation and slightly higher ovcerall system sensitivity.  My system, as described above, was 0.8dB louder at 1KHz simply by plugging it into an UberBUSS.

Each circuit of the Majik and Uber (2- 'A' & 'B') have filtration to preclude RFI and EMI from cross contaminating the gear plugged into the unit.  That is why I recommend that analog gear should be plugged into one circuit and digital gear into the other.  If you have a particularly noisey system (like a Sunfire amp along with a complex digital front end) I can add more filtration if needed, but these situations are pretty far between and the stock units work VERY well at isolation.

The best my system ever sounded was an Uber plugged into the wall with the Topaz next and an Uber after the Topaz.  I seldom got to hear it that way because I kept selling one of the Ubers.  I purposely built an Uber that had a crappy finish so I would quite selling that one out of my system to people that wanted one already broken in   :)

One caveat on iso transformers.  The ONLY one that I tried in my system that was not current limiting was the Topaz @ 2.5KVA.  Remember, my system was a 20WPC Class A system that did not make huge current demands.  We have tried my Topaz with large SS amps and even @ 2.5 KVA there was a blunting of high current transients.  The Majik and the Uber are not current limiting in any way.

I hope this answers your questions.  If not, ask away.

dave

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2010, 05:22 pm »
  If you have a particularly noisey system (like a Sunfire amp along with a complex digital front end) I can add more filtration if needed, but these situations are pretty far between and the stock units work VERY well at isolation.

I hope this answers your questions.  If not, ask away.

dave

:lol:  I use a Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor and a HTPC as a music source. Isolation is my friend.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2010, 05:37 pm »
Thanks for all the great replies!  (Hi Bandit -woof)

The more I think about an iso tranny the less I think I really need one. I live in somewhat rural NJ (not necessarily an oxymoron) at the end of a dirt road. I am the only house on my transformer. On one of many times I've had tree limbs rip the powerlines down (fingers crossed for the current snowstorm), the lineman asked if I had some sort of home business that required a massive AC supply (I don't) because he had never seen such a huge gauge wire used to service a home before! (Music to an audiophile's ears).

But my breaker box is only so-so and I don't have dedicated lines to the system, so some improvement could be had there I guess.

Seems like the Uber would be the best bang-for-the-buck device to improve the AC I already have, all things considered.

Thanks again,

-Mike

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2010, 06:33 pm »
One caveat on iso transformers.  The ONLY one that I tried in my system that was not current limiting was the Topaz @ 2.5KVA.
dave

Are you saying that even the Piltron is current limiting? 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:19 pm »
Are you saying that even the Piltron is current limiting?
In my experience, on BIG SS power amps that are current hungry, yes.  Even though toroids are more efficient than an E or R core they have a hard time keeping up with the kind of surges that are seen in some music.  Here is an exercise:  Plug the amp into the wall and using your ammeter, turn the amp on and look at the inrush current as your amps charge up their filter caps.  Then, plug it into an iso TX of any flavor and do the same thing.  It helps if the meter has a peak/hold function, but can still be seen on most ammeters.  If there is no difference in peak inrush current then you are good to go.

There is a guy here that bought a Torus RM 20 to use with a couple of PASS monoblocks and they sounded constipated with the Torus.  CAVEAT: I have no experience with the 60, 70 or 100 amp versions, so I'm sure they would 'probably' handle the current.  They are VERY BIG $$$, though.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:27 pm »
In my experience, on BIG SS power amps that are current hungry, yes.  Even though toroids are more efficient than an E or R core they have a hard time keeping up with the kind of surges that are seen in some music.  Here is an exercise:  Plug the amp into the wall and using your ammeter, turn the amp on and look at the inrush current as your amps charge up their filter caps.  Then, plug it into an iso TX of any flavor and do the same thing.  It helps if the meter has a peak/hold function, but can still be seen on most ammeters.  If there is no difference in peak inrush current then you are good to go.

There is a guy here that bought a Torus RM 20 to use with a couple of PASS monoblocks and they sounded constipated with the Torus.  CAVEAT: I have no experience with the 60, 70 or 100 amp versions, so I'm sure they would 'probably' handle the current.  They are VERY BIG $$$, though.

Dave

:scratch:  My large Piltron is on its way to Albuquerque, New Mexico for you to "play with". If you would like...

vinyl_lady

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2010, 11:10 pm »
Laura (vinyl_lady) uses a MajikBuss in front of a PS Audio PPP and she's reported excellent results so the Buss seems to work great with regenerative conditioners also.

Robin is correct. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit with a PS Audio Soloist Premier wall outlet. My MajikBUSS is plugged into the Solist Premier and my Modwright KWA 150 is plugged into the MajikBUSS' A circuit and my PPP is plugged into the MB's B circuit. My pre amp and all source equipment are plugged into the PPP. This set up gives me a very black, noise free background. Before the MB was added, the PPP and amp were plugged into separate sockets in the wall outlet. After adding the MB and plugging the amp and PPP into the MB, my noise floor has dropped dramatically. Keeping the MB was a no brainer at that point.

I highly recommend Danny's free demo(if still available) of the MajikBuss Mike or just save the return shipping cuz you'll want to upgrade to the UberBuss anyways.  :lol: 
Cheers,
Robin

Me too :thumb:

Laura

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2010, 05:19 am »
I am going from the wall to an Uber Buss and from there to a Dodd Audio balanced power supply. I then have a bunch of stuff plugged into the Dodd. I also have my Mac Mini plugged directly into the Uber Buss to further separate it from the rest of the audio circuit.