My friend Pete at Triode Wire Labs

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
My friend Pete at Triode Wire Labs
« on: 1 Apr 2012, 07:23 pm »
has some new things going on.  We've been talking about cables for a while and he has found the "cold truth": http://triodewirelabs.com/

Cryogenics is not snake oil, but a way to better products.

Good on you, Pete  :thumb:

Dave

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: My friend Pete at Triode Wire Labs
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2012, 11:21 pm »
Dave,
Thanks so much, my friend! Just remember, it's all your fault!  :lol:
You, my colleague & competitor, introduced me to the Wonderful World of Cryo last March 2011 and I've been experimenting ever since! Finally, after several designs & having over 10 beta testers listen to my new power cables, I released my new product line this past week. It's been a bit frustrating trying to get "the word out" when the Audio Industry Press Releases is shut down at AC... :duh:

Thanks again for your kindness,
Pete

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2012, 12:06 am »
I was lucky enough to get my hands on 8 and 12 gauge beta versions of Pete's new cables and I can confirm they are something special...  Enough so that I insisted I send him cash instead of returning his cables to him!!

These new cables have a really beautiful presentation utterly tone dense and relaxed with great extension both ways and better resolution then I recall the prior version having.

They are definitely on the relaxed side and one needs to match them with the right components--they do particularly well on solid state in my experience.  The 12 gauge is the perfect compliment to the Jasmine phono pre I know a lot of you own and I'm using the 8 gauge to a great effect on my Majikbuss.  It gave my whole rig an injection of tone and made things smoother and more effortless sounding.  The competition on the Majikbus was a Sablon Audio Gran Corona, which is a $900 cable which is said to punch above its weight class, so this is a huge compliment to Pete's cable.

Check 'em!   :thumb:

ptmconsulting

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2012, 12:45 pm »
For the price Pete charges they are a steal. They absolutely compete with the competition at much higher price points and in many cases beat those. Well worth checking out.  Lots of raves from those of us who own them, but like everything else, it is all about the synergy in your own system and getting the sound that you are comfortable with in your own room.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2012, 03:33 pm »
Cabling is all about system synergy.  This includes interconnects, digital cables and power cables, household wiring, etc.

Triode Wire Labs - Pete - builds great cables, especially at the price.  They are smooth and round sounding with a very rich midrange... you know... where the music is. 

I have been asked by a lot of people "why in the world would you try to help a competitor?"  The answer is simple: go back to the synergy thing.  Just like my cables, TWL cables may or may not be the best choice for every system.  When a company tries to build a 'one size fits all cable' you end up with a cable like the Pangeas - competent, but nothing special.  Our cables are very different.  I won't go into what makes my cables different and worth the money because it would not be appropriate in this thread.  Also, like every proud papa, I think my kids are the smartest, cutest and most gifted of all of the kids in the world.  Pete's kids are cute and smart, too.  They just aren't mine  :lol:

Pete and I have both built to a particular target for power cable sound.  We both build very high quality cabling, built to exacting standards and consistent in those attributes.  PIag and TWL cables both kick serious butt.  It just depends on whose butt needs kicking.  In other words,  we each march to a different  :drums:

Rock on, Pete   :rock:

Dave

tmazz

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2012, 11:28 pm »
Have been using Pete's cables for about a year now and absolutely love them.

The whole system just sounds more relaxed and effortless. It's like the difference between an amateur musician who can play well but really has to work at it vs. a seasoned elite professional who just has the music kind of flow out of him.

In terms of a detailed rundown of what changed, I can't say I noticed anything in particular that the cable stood out as doing overly well but the total sound just had a big sense of "rightness" to it. (I always get nervous when any aspect of a component stands out as that much better than the other aspects as they usually get tiring over the long run.)

Started out using the original 8 American Gauge on my ARC VT-200 and recently upgraded to the 7 Plus cable. Another significant increase in SQ. Similar in character to what I wrote above about the 8, but just more of it. Better without getting etched or Hi-Fi sounding. Just righterer.  8)

Keep up the good work Pete.  :thumb:

fridays

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2012, 02:14 am »
I like to hear what the sonic differences are with these two gentlemens pc's

Æ

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2012, 02:33 am »
Cryogenics is not snake oil, but a way to better products.

That's why I plan on freezing my head after I die. So that I'll be better when they thaw me out again!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2012, 02:48 pm »
I like to hear what the sonic differences are with these two gentlemens pc's
I can add you to the cable tour if you wish.

Dave

Lissnr

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2012, 02:56 am »
I have to agree with Tmazz on this one too... I've been a convert to TWL ever since I tried the very early 10 and 12 G's on my digital (transport and processor)...which was  all it took to sell off some long time "staple" cables in my collection and turn to Pete for even more. Since then I've equipped my CJ monos with his 8G's, my pre-amp with his 8G (I like overkill) and an MIT Z-Center conditioner with an 8G... and each and every time it just keeps getting better and better. Yes, there absolutely is a cumulative effect...
I like to write about equipment when it's so easy...No vague ..subtle...interpretations about how "it kinda seems to be...[when I insert xyz component] into my system" Pete's cables simply do one main thing so profoundly it strikes you by the time your remote is being placed back on your little 'spot-for-it'...it makes it Musical! Natural, organic true, real...   we've all heard all the descriptors...And here I go again but I had to put my 2 cents in once more because I just picked up his latest and greatest new 7G and I can't get the damn smile off my face... Tremendous cable. Tremendous. Not to mention I found the ultimate device to spread its virtues throughout my system as I had recently picked up one of Pi Audios Uber Buss (personal positive review to come shortly), which I was completely appreciating well over and above all my previous conditioners but I was still using a previous 'old favorite' power cable on it... Enter the 7G and holy melt the walls...drown in music...live it in your room Batman. The absolute marriage from heaven, Pete, you've outdone yourself this time. DEAD quiet...Absolutely Black... Notes pop with purity...No pain, no strain...just effortless natural you are there flow.
Uncanny.   
Nothing else to say but thanks for helping my system decompress my life another order of magnitude (your timing was perfect).
BTW: I saw your 'release' here:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/
Great job!

mcandy

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2012, 03:02 am »
All true! I own 6 of Peters cables, not the new versions... but Im definitely going to upgrade soon! All the things the previous poster said are so true. Effortless, natural, nice bloom. Really fantastic cables.
GL with your new line!

mdconnelly

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2012, 09:54 pm »
I've had the opportunity to spend the last 8 days with one of Triode Pete's latest TWL 7Plus power cords and I have to say, Pete knows what he's doing. These are the real deal! 

First a little background... about a year ago I tried Pete's somewhat earlier incarnations of his power cords and ended up replacing my mix of different power cords with his 8awg, 10awg and 12awg cords.  Never looked back!  What I said then is still absolute true... they provide an extremely relaxed, balanced, and highly musical presentation. 

In my experience, every power cord (or any wire for that matter) functions a bit as a "tone" control to some extent.  Some excel on tight and fast bass, some on clarity and extension, some on dynamics and transient response, some with blacker blacks and a bigger soundstage.  But truth be told, we all want something that excels at everything while doing no harm.  No easy thing!  And therein lies what I think is the strength of Pete's TWL cords.  They seem to excel across the board - tight and fast bass, open and clear extension, big soundstage, toe-tapping PRAT... all adding up to a highly musical and engaging sound. 

OK, a few specifics... when I got Pete's new cord, I have to say I was a bit concerned... it was in need of burn in and for the first couple days it was a bit harsh and edgy.  But Pete cautioned of that right from the start, so I just let it play continuously as much as possible. Skip forward 5 days and everything was as it should be. Well, actually, better.   

I won't dwell on all the things his cords have already been praised for, but I do want to comment on where this new one excels above and beyond. Most of my listening was using it to feed my PI Audio UberBUSS replacing an earlier TWL BUSS cord with the new 7+.  Pete has changed his design a bit and is also now cryoing his cords.  You'll need to probe Pete for the details on exactly what the 'Plus' means.  What I heard after breakin was a sound clearly of the TWL family but with a tighter, more impactful bass and a bit of a blacker, silent background. When I put the BUSS cord back, it confirmed what I was hearing, but that's when I realized that the 7+ had also been giving me more of the music venue & ambience. I could hear further into the presentation with increased awareness of voice and instrument decay.  Nice!

The biggest surprise occurred when I swapped an early 8awg TWL cord on my Oracle DAC/preamp for the new 7+ cord there. The same differences became even more apparent. I have never really understood why a power cord seems to have the most influence as the last leg of the power chain, but damned if it isn't true.  Perhaps it's because the UberBUSS is doing so much cleanup anyway so what feeds it may not be quite as important as what feeds each component.  That's my theory anyway (at least until I hear a better one). 

Of course, in the end it is all about the music. There's an album that I just love... Sarah Jarosz's Follow Me Down. She's a singer/songwriter and bluegrass instrumentalist.  This album is not only very well recorded but the music, in its genre, is just wonderful. This ain't your grandaddy's bluegrass! The details and decay of her mandolin playing or banjo picking coupled with the power of the drum kit and backing band is something to be heard.  But what I find really interesting is her voice... if your system is leaning toward harse, edgy and/or bright, you might cringe a bit with this album because her bluegrass vocalization and simbilance can seem hard, but when all is well, this album and her voice just gives me goosebumps.  When I was initially breaking in the new 7+ cord, this album was hard to listen to.  Last night... nothing but goosebumps!

There are a LOT of power cords on the market and I've had my time with a few (and still have a bunch hanging in the closest). I do believe that after-market power cords replacing cheap stock cords are going to get you a nice benefit regardless of how much you spend. On the other hand, I think the megabuck cords are just silly money for all but a few that have the system, ears and money to warrant the investment.  For the rest of us, there is an over-abundance of mid-priced PCs, each of which brings something a bit different to the table.  IMHO, if you're wanting to try new power cords in your system, you owe it to yourself to give these a try. Pete is great to work with and his 30 day eval gives you plenty of time to hear these in your own system.  But I bet you won't give them back ;-)
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2012, 11:39 am by mdconnelly »