Some news on the diffusers... and some pictures...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Some news on the diffusers... and some pictures...
« Reply #60 on: 2 Feb 2012, 05:12 pm »
The first reflection spots are on the wall to the right and left, plus directly behind the speaker as well as the ceiling?  Is this correct?  Would this must have treatment regimine include the corners of the front wall? 

I have the line source 6 from GR Research so the treatment sizes need to match the driver placement?
Yep, pretty much.  Go to this thread and realize that it works well for ANY type of speaker - don't forget the rear corners, too:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96456.0

Dave

Cheeseboy

« Reply #61 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:00 pm »
Got it.  I like the elongated triangle design.  I have a sloped ceiling with the cottage cheese treatment on the ceiling.  I'll have to think of something unique.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #62 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:43 pm »
Measurements be damned.  I'm just going to start with the basics first.

So I'll fill in behind the speakers with the Owens Corning 703.  The LS6 can only be placed about 2 ft into the room.  The design calls for 3 ft.  There are as many ports as there are drivers in these speakers.  As such is the case should I use 2 inch 703 or 4 inch 703?  Any body want to jump in here?

As you can see in Scotts pictures he is treating with absorbtion materials from top to bottom.  Is this needed or can I just tame the reflections that will be in and around my melon head in the sweet spot?  Just treat a sweet spot sized area? 

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #63 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:55 pm »

So I'll fill in behind the speakers with the Owens Corning 703.  The LS6 can only be placed about 2 ft into the room.  The design calls for 3 ft.  There are as many ports as there are drivers in these speakers.  As such is the case should I use 2 inch 703 or 4 inch 703?  Any body want to jump in here?

As you can see in Scotts pictures he is treating with absorbtion materials from top to bottom.  Is this needed or can I just tame the reflections that will be in and around my melon head in the sweet spot?  Just treat a sweet spot sized area? 

As close as they are to the wall you might be best served with as thick of a material as you can come up with for right behind the speakers or in the corners right behind them.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #64 on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:19 pm »

Can you post a picture of the room?  That would help a bunch.

Dave

Cheeseboy

« Reply #65 on: 6 Feb 2012, 05:14 pm »
As close as they are to the wall you might be best served with as thick of a material as you can come up with for right behind the speakers or in the corners right behind them.

The rear of the LS6's are exactly 1 foot and 8 inches from the front wall.  So the 4 inch Owens Corning would be best or 4 plus 2 inch?  I'll take some pictures tonight.  Thanks for the assistance. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #66 on: 8 Feb 2012, 09:51 pm »

Left Wall

Right Wall

Front Wall

I found them.  Here are some older pictures of the room.  The speakers are just a little bit more into the room today.  1 ft 8 inches. 

Check out the red sonic resonators. I got them at Walmart.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #67 on: 9 Feb 2012, 12:24 am »
I have thinking about doing the room like this.  GIK Art panels on the left over the fireplace and the right over the big chair.  Helen will have to develop the artwork.  DIY Owens Corning 4 inch or 2 inch 703 behind each speaker.  The mount Dave's lightweight diffusion panels two wide and one and a half high on a black painted MDF to use temporarily in front of the TV as a mobile treatment. 

I'm not sure how to dampen the sliding glass on the left.  Perhaps just some curtains.  The opened up wall on the right might get a two high one or two wide mobile diffraction panel as well.

That is how I thought it should go for the front and side walls. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #68 on: 9 Feb 2012, 12:30 am »
How receptive would the wife be to corner bass traps?  I found them absolutely necessary for my LS9s.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #69 on: 9 Feb 2012, 04:29 am »
It is my experience that I have to roll things out slowly for her.  She needs to be a partner in these decisions.  When she heard a dramatic difference in cableling on one interconect it became a good thing in her mind to invest in better cables.   When the LS6 landed in the room she was hating me real hard until she heard them.  Even though she listened to LS9's all day just before these arrived.  She had to hear them in her home.  Now she demoes them for her buds.  I think once she sees the GIK Art and hears a diiference she will buy into the improvements.  As she is very particular about how te room looks she will insist in a slow roll.  So I was thinking that the behind the speaker, first reflections and the portable diffusion in the center would be the best places to start.  If I can time them to arrive at the same time I think there will be a dramatic difference in sound quality.  She'll then insist that we do the back side of the room and the ceiling. 

So here is my question.  2 inch or 4 inch Owens Corning 703 behind the speakers?  So many ports, So close to the wall.  Me bass be a little muddy.

S Clark

« Reply #70 on: 9 Feb 2012, 06:31 am »
As you know, in a perfect world, those speakers need to be pulled out more. Can they be moved for critical listening, and then put back?  The thicker the absorption behind them, the better.  If large corner tube traps are out for the corners, then see if you can get approval for triangular ones at both floor and ceiling. 
In my room, the couch gets moved, coffee table is moved, Love seat gets moved, absorbers go into place, diffusers go in front of the TV and to the side of the speakers--- all before I sit down to spin some vinyl.  Then, everything goes back to normal to make things more presentable. But altogether, it's no more than 3-4 minutes to assemble and disassemble. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #71 on: 9 Feb 2012, 04:18 pm »
In our old home the couch was way too far from the speakers.  The speakers would get moved a little and I had a chair on wheels that I would roll into the room.  It worked great.  I really want to make the room sound as good as possible and not have to move too much stuff for critical listening.  The current plan includes some mobile treatments.   

The speakers are about a foot more in the room today than in the pictures.  They are at 1 ft and 8 inches from the front wall.  I would love to keep them 3 feet from the wall or have it be really easy to move them.  The rug keeps that from being an easy task. 

So you think 4 inch absorbsion behind the speakers?

I could get away with some rolled bass traps in the right corner and custom something for the left.

i

Cheeseboy

« Reply #72 on: 9 Feb 2012, 04:26 pm »

Can you paint diffusors with no effect on the sound?

S Clark

« Reply #73 on: 9 Feb 2012, 10:06 pm »
Yes, I'd start with 4"  insulation behind the speakers, and yes, you can paint diffusers with latex. 

Scott

Cheeseboy

« Reply #74 on: 9 Feb 2012, 10:49 pm »

Ok time to get some OC 703.