Some news on the diffusers... and some pictures...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Some news on the diffusers... and some pictures...
« on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:27 am »
The ABB series of diffusers is about to be joined by a new variety: the AQD.  We have been busy trying to finalize our offerings and get a wide variety of offerings to satisfy about any situation.  The new line is a modified quadratic residue diffuser that is pretty dramatic in their ability to tighten up the image and soundstaging while still producing an enormous soundfield that extends well beyound speaker boundaries when properly set up.  Details will be available shortly after Thanksgiving along with pictures and details on the website... yes, it is coming. 

As everyone knows, things happen very slowly here.  Part of this is due to there not being enough hours in the day to get everything done since there is just me doing the R&D along with filling orders, doing development work for other companies and trying to have a life and being quite busy with church activities.  Greg has a day job and a life, too.  We are just a couple of guys doing the best we can in a an extremely difficult economy.  At the prices that we charge for our products and our time we cannot afford to hire staff to do all of the work.  If we quadruple our prices to get them more in line with the industry we could, but we pride ourselves for putting out killer products at prices that anyone can afford.  Thanks for being so understanding.

Dave

Edit>

Here are the new diffusers.  Please forgive the crummy photography and staging.

We'll be getting better ones soon - as soon as Igor can get out his camera   8)

We'll have pricing up by Monday.

Dave, again
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2011, 10:33 pm by dBe »

SoCalWJS

Re: Some news on the diffusers...
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:45 am »
 :thumb:
 :dance: :dance:
 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2011, 07:10 pm »
  All good things come in time. with with ya Dave.

charles
SMA

imassarano

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2011, 10:14 pm »
Amen

Isaac

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm »
Look for pictures here next week.  Holidays always take up time and make us fat-er-ish.

Dave

HT cOz

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2011, 08:59 pm »
Lets see some PICS!  :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2011, 04:32 am »
Lets see some PICS!  :thumb:
:no_see:

Heh, heh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dave

DTB300

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2011, 04:12 pm »
here are some pics.... :lol: :lol: :lol:  Do not let the new look fool you, those newspaper looking things are highly tested and researched for proper sound diffusion.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:15 pm »
Wanted ya'll to know that content is flowing to the web developer for the website and that I will pick up some of the first run of AQD diffuser tomorrow.  We should have some pictures by Friday.

Here is a crummy jpeg of the base panels in planform so you can see what arrays of them will look like:

The bottom unit is a nestled pair - as they come shipped.  The two drawings above are what you could have if you were to get 4 pairs and put them side by side.  Of course if all one unit were males and the other females you could have 2 symmetrical arrays.

These will be available in nominal 2'x2' and 2'x 4' sizes like the ABB1, ABB2 and Mr.T diffusers.

Food for thought.

Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:32 pm »
^^^
Good to hear Dave. Anxious to see what it looks like. I need to figure out how they "stack" or attach to each other for pairs and if they can be attached to a stand of some sort so they can be moved into position for 2 channel and out of the way for HT.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:41 pm »
^^^
Good to hear Dave. Anxious to see what it looks like. I need to figure out how they "stack" or attach to each other for pairs and if they can be attached to a stand of some sort so they can be moved into position for 2 channel and out of the way for HT.
Stacking them is not difficlut.  They are very lightweight and the ends are cut at 90 dgrees , so they go together like good old alphabet blocks.  As far as side to side goes, the QR equation was modified slighlty so that the edges of each panel will mate flushly to give a more or less seamless look when put side by side.

What you can see in this picture are ABB1 diffusers stacked 2 high and glued to an MDF base:

Each panel section weighs less than 20 pounds and is easy to move around.

Dave

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm »
Dave, this is the acoustical nightmare I am trying to overcome. Forgive the mess - been moving stuff around and I'm still trying to decide on my DIY screen, so the painters tape is still in place. :oops: :oops: Also, seem to be having a tough time cleaning the camera lens.

Overall from behind the primary listening position: (cathedral ceiling with low point at front wall)

Front right corner: (yes, that's a sliding glass door behind the curtain, and I have to deal with clothes on a rack which I use as absorption on that side)

Front left corner: (The cat already found a new sleeping spot - blankets and pillows behind angled bookcases)

I have a couple of absorbers leaning against a sliding glass door which is behind the curtains on this side.
The area behind the listener opens up onto a lower floor ("dead end"?)

I'm thinking that angled diffusors between the speakers and the bookcases is the next step. I've tried making cut out cardboard in the upper corners and stuffing with poly fill, but have failed miserably - tape wont hold in place. Got to figure out something stonger that won't cause damage.

Everything I have is easily moved so that room can be usable for other things.

Wide open to suggestions

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2011, 07:17 pm »
Dave, this is the acoustical nightmare I am trying to overcome.

I'm thinking that angled diffusors between the speakers and the bookcases is the next step. I've tried making cut out cardboard in the upper corners and stuffing with poly fill, but have failed miserably - tape wont hold in place. Got to figure out something stonger that won't cause damage.

Everything I have is easily moved so that room can be usable for other things.

Wide open to suggestions

Three quick ideas:

If you take every other CD/DVD case and lay it on its' back in the racks that you have you will have a great impromptu diffuser.  You know - upright/on its' back/upright/on its' back/upright/on its' back...

If you can get enought cats sleeping behind those racks they make very good bass absorbers  :lol:

You can use 'T' pins http://www.amazon.com/T-bar-Pins-Nickel-Plated-Units/dp/B004KA7SQ0 to hold the corner panels in place.  They make a hole < 1/32" that is darned near invisible even without spackle.

Other observations:

Having the sliding glass doors is not necessarily a bad thing.  Here is how I took care of mine:

The construct on the right with the cream frame is a panel that I made to cover up the glass door.  It is a 1x2 frame that has a piece of white faced building board http://www.blueridgefiberboard.com/pages/white-faced-building-board.php set into it and painted the wall cover.  It is held in place with 2 small wedges so it can be removed when necessary.  The absorbent panel that you see is 1" ductboard that is covered with raw cotton scrim fabric.  The space between the back of the WFBB and the glass door is filled with FG insulation.  Kicks ass.

Of course I have a matching absorber on the other side of the room.

I'm really blessed with the space that I have.  It is 20'2" long x 14'4" wide with an 8' ceiling.  Pretty good dimensions to start with.

Dave
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2011, 05:04 pm by dBe »

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec 2011, 07:20 pm »
Dave,

What is the total depth of the new diffusers?  Thanks

SoCalWJS

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2011, 10:40 pm »
I'll be back soon with some ideas...

Dave
No hurry - I will be patiently waiting. Pretty sure that Santa will be bringing me some panels this Christmas, just not sure of which ones, and if they arrive a little late, but are the ones I really need, Santa will be remembered fondly this year.
Trying to figure out if I can bulid a support frame that would be behind the center channel and support a diffusor (4'x8') on its' side which I can put in place for 2 channel, then tuck away for HT.
I'm thinking that, plus 2 2'x8' or 4'x8' diffusors that sit at a 30-45 degree angle behind and slightly to the outside of each speaker would be a starting point.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2011, 01:35 am »
Dave,

What is the total depth of the new diffusers?  Thanks
Don, they are 5.75" deep x 23.75" wide x 47.5" tall.  The cool thing is they are CNC cut and we can juggle the sizes for a small upcharge.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2011, 07:07 pm »
No hurry - I will be patiently waiting. Pretty sure that Santa will be bringing me some panels this Christmas, just not sure of which ones, and if they arrive a little late, but are the ones I really need, Santa will be remembered fondly this year.
Trying to figure out if I can bulid a support frame that would be behind the center channel and support a diffusor (4'x8') on its' side which I can put in place for 2 channel, then tuck away for HT.
I'm thinking that, plus 2 2'x8' or 4'x8' diffusors that sit at a 30-45 degree angle behind and slightly to the outside of each speaker would be a starting point.

Preliminary testing on the production versions is very, very good.  I'll have a full report tomorrow afternoon.

These new AQD1 diffusers are a refinement of the originals that I began making back in 1993.  I sold a bunch of them to recording studios, Phil Bamberg (Phil, are you watching?) and as treatment in churches, conference rooms, etc.

I designed the ABB1 series at the request of a couple of people for something that is more visually appealing to the architectural community and for a better SAF.  They work very well.  The AQD1 is a different product for the more hard core listener/recordist/acoustician, etc.  Not particulalry pretty just extremely effective.  I believe that you will not need as much diffusion as you think.

I am in process of another panel using the same format that will have fewer cells and in a Mr. T type cut.  I'll have those sometime towards the end of next week.

More, later...

Dave

SoCalWJS

Re: Some news on the diffusers... and some pictures...
« Reply #17 on: 4 Dec 2011, 03:32 pm »
Dave,

I was re-reading several of the threads and came across the original one on the RMAF.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99677.0

I noticed that you said the setup in the room included Danny's "Gray absorbant material" in addition to your diffusors. I looked at the pictures of the room and guess that the material referred to is the curtain like fabric that goes from floor to ceiling around most of the room. If this is the case, I was wondering if it would be better than the fabric that I currently have in front of my sliding glass doors. If so, what is it and where can I get it? :scratch:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Some news on the diffusers... and some pictures...
« Reply #18 on: 4 Dec 2011, 05:07 pm »
Dave,

I was re-reading several of the threads and came across the original one on the RMAF.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99677.0

I noticed that you said the setup in the room included Danny's "Gray absorbent material" in addition to your diffusors. I looked at the pictures of the room and guess that the material referred to is the curtain like fabric that goes from floor to ceiling around most of the room. If this is the case, I was wondering if it would be better than the fabric that I currently have in front of my sliding glass doors. If so, what is it and where can I get it? :scratch:
Good questions.  Probably it would be quite a bit better.  It is pretty darned dense and opaque to light.  I looks like polyfleece.  I'll whistle up Danny and see if he can tell all of us what and where.

YO! - DANNY!!!

Dave

blutto

« Reply #19 on: 4 Dec 2011, 05:24 pm »
here are some pics.... :lol: :lol: :lol:  Do not let the new look fool you, those newspaper looking things are highly tested and researched for proper sound diffusion.

...methinks your sense of humour is in need of a major tune-up...would, if I were you, head to a humour repair  shop forthwith, otherwise the state of your soul will be severely and permanently compromised...

Cheers

blutto