Nintendo DS Lite

PeteG

Nintendo DS Lite
« on: 6 Jun 2006, 05:44 pm »
I have a little problem, I have a Dell v51 pocket PC to run Telcanto for
my squeezebox, the problem is my wife takes it for games she doesn't play video
games (PS2,Xbox,PC games) just on my dell.

So I thinking about getting her a Nintendo DS lite, what do you guys think. The Sony PSP is a little $$$.

Pete

Levi

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2006, 06:08 pm »
My son likes the DS and cost of ownership cheaper run than the Sony PSP.

mcrespo71

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2006, 09:03 pm »
I had a DS, but sold it to buy the DS Lite.  I like the Nintendo DS a lot, but if you are interested in a movie player, MP3, and gaming, then the PSP is the way to go.  I just want to play games and I love Nintendo's first party games, so it was a no brainer for me to buy a DS Lite.  The DS keeps its charge for a long time.

PeteG

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2006, 10:01 pm »
Michael,

Yes this will be for games only, I went to Target today to pick up Underworld II (good movie) and saw the DS lite on display (comes out 6/11) and I liked it a lot.

The games are pretty cool too, I’ll get Brain Age and Tetris she and I like puzzle & card games.

Woodsea

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2006, 02:01 am »
DS lite is a good option.  I expect my daughters to come in through the mail from Tokyo this week.  I will give a review at that point.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2006, 02:27 am »
Quote from: Woodsea
DS lite is a good option.  I expect my daughters to come in through the mail from Tokyo this week.  I will give a review at that point.

Is your really really old enough for a game?  Or is it just hers to justify it to the wife? :wink:  :P

Se7en

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2006, 02:42 am »
The best games available for the DS are generally 1st party products developed by Nintendo. This being said, nintendo is limited to how much product they can produce for the platform.

The PSP on the other hand is without question a higher end machine and due to it's numerous similarities to the PS2 (hardware architecture and actual media form), offers greater overall "porting" flexibility to 3rd party publishers (EA, Activision, THQ, Etc.).

The advantage here is that when a 3rd party develops a game for PS2, they will develop it for XBox and PSP at the same time because it is more cost effective. They can re-use a lot of the content (even though PSP content is usually heavily downsampled it is ultimately re-usable). This is not possible with DS, the same game must be custom built just for the DS and is often not supported by 3rd parties.

If she uses your machine for "table top/PC" type gaming, the DS is fine and Nintendo comes up with some brilliant original content.

If you see her getting a taste for first-person-shooters or games based on the latest action movie, the PSP is the only way to go.

Just my .02

Woodsea

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2006, 05:36 am »
My wife has just given up completely on me.  I bought the 360 and my latest toy the Palm t/x with a 4gb SD in the past 2 months.  Actually the Mrs. uses the palm more than I do, she loves Sodoku!
The DS is for my daughter.  What sold me was Brain Age, I don't have it, but Brain Academy will be coming.  She doesn't like to learn, she loves to do.  So hopefully it will help her with her math skills.  Plus help her with handwriting.

mcrespo71

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2006, 05:50 am »
Quote from: Woodsea
My wife has just given up completely on me.  I bought the 360 and my latest toy the Palm t/x with a 4gb SD in the past 2 months.  Actually the Mrs. uses the palm more than I do, she loves Sodoku!
The DS is for my daughter.  What sold me was Brain Age, I don't have it, but Brain Academy will be coming.  She doesn't like to learn, she loves to do.  So hopefully it will help her with her math skills.  Plus help her with handwriting.

Brain Age is a brilliant game and surprisingly addictive.  It helps move my grey matter!  At least I think it does.

mcrespo71

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2006, 02:24 am »
OK, just picked up the new Nintendo DS LITE.  As Paris Hilton would say, "it's hot!"  Extremely cool design and just feels better in your hands.

ooheadsoo

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2006, 02:45 am »
I kinda want one just to have one, but there really aren't any games I want seriously until september, so I'll wait.  Here's to hoping for a bundle with a game I want or a price reduction.

PeteG

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2006, 03:00 am »
Picked mine up too. Luv it, it's soooo cool.
Been playing Texas Holdem all day :D

ooheadsoo

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2006, 03:56 am »
What games are you guys playing?

mcrespo71

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2006, 04:01 am »
Quote from: ooheadsoo

Brain Age
Metroid Hunters
Mario Kart DS
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow

ooheadsoo

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2006, 04:12 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71

Brain Age
Metroid Hunters
Mario Kart DS

I'm not a huge action game fan, so I'm waiting for the rpgs and strategy games to come out.  Castlevania always drove me batty.

mcrespo71

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2006, 04:20 am »

Brain Age
Metroid Hunters
Mario Kart DS

I'm not a huge action game fan, so I'm waiting for the rpgs and strategy games to come out.  Castlevania always drove me batty.

There is a great strategy game called Advance Wars out.  I owned it, beat it,  and then sold it.  I know there are some final fantasy games coming out for DS.  BTW, you can play GBA advance games on the DS, so some of the better RPG's are on that (Pokemon Ruby/Saphire & Golden Sun).

ooheadsoo

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2006, 04:29 am »
Oh wow,  you can play GBA games on the ds?  I didn't realize that.  That's pretty cool.  No wonder there are still so many gba games coming out.

mcrespo71

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2006, 04:39 am »
Oh wow,  you can play GBA games on the ds?  I didn't realize that.  That's pretty cool.  No wonder there are still so many gba games coming out.

Yeah, it's backward compatible, so I kept my favorite GBA games when the original DS came out.

Michael

mcrespo71

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2006, 05:00 am »
Talk about Deja Vu!!!!

I had some girl tell me "that's hot" while I played my DS LITE on the subway today.  Talk about prescience in my initial post!

8)

PeteG

Nintendo DS Lite
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2006, 04:07 pm »
Talk about Deja Vu!!!!

I had some girl tell me "that's hot" while I played my DS LITE on the subway today.  Talk about prescience in my initial post!

8)

Did she look like this  :o .

Anyway, I’m going to pickup a DS game today, have Tetris and Texas holdem. Does Brain Age repeat it’s self a lot or is it always different.

Pete