Xbox 360

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox 360
« on: 11 Jan 2006, 05:57 am »
Well, my brother bought a 360 and three games last week (Perfect Dark Zero, Quake 4 & Call of Duty).  

On the plus side, the thing works- no error codes or problems.  But it's loud- extremely loud.  Louder than you'd think.  Compared to the old Xbox it sounds like a jet engine.  That's a bummer.  But no heat problems thus far.

The controller is wonderful, even better I think than the original 'box.  He has the wireless ones with the rechargeable battery pack.  I didn't really think wireless would be a big deal, but I've changed my tune.  No one will ever use the corded on again if they get any real face time with the wireless version.

The graphics are a big step up in many respects.  Unfortunately, the only game of the three that either of us liked was Call of Duty.  I was thinking of buying one myself, but honestly right now there isn't a game I even want.  That will change soon, though.  Oblivion looks awesome, and eventually there should be a good assortment of games.

What will make me buy it?  KotoR 3!  I'd pay whatever it took and buy whatever console it was on to get a new KotoR.  Resident Evil 5 also has me salivating.  And I'm even curious to see if Eidos can resurrect the Tomb Raider franchise. :)

Folsom

Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2006, 09:59 am »
Wirelesses are bad for LAN parties... No one wants a controller crapping on them.  

I still prefer the computer, but I have stopped playing video games because fifty dollars for crap is not working out. Call of Duty 2 looks like fun, but I would be willing to bet it has compromises because of the huge console debut, on the PC version.

The game I am still the sour about is FarCry Basic Instinct. I could strangle some one’s mother over that one.

I might consider the PS3 if it does enough of what I want, and Blu-ray. I doubt I will purchase any games for it. The only time I play games is with other people; I find there are better things to be doing; I like real people as opposed to single player games. This has been the biggest change in my life, gamer to not gaming at all.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox 360
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:04 am »
I've never done a LAN party, nor will I ever.  I have no friends. :lol:   For me console gaming is the only way to fly- I prefer a controller, no keyboards.  Plus I like the plug and play simplicity of consoles.  

But I don't want to start a flame war- in no way are consoles better, just better for us lazy bastards. :lol:   Plus, I like platform-style gaming.

To date, my favorite console games, in no particular order:  Resident Evil (series), Mechwarrior 2 (PSX), Kotor (Xbox), Diablo (PSX), HALO (Xbox), Ace Combat 2 (PSX), and Risk (P2).  There are plenty of other games that I've really loved and am forgetting right now, but those are probably the ones I've played the most.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox 360
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:11 am »
BTW, is the Far Cry: Instinct for the Xbox crap or something?  I thought it was supposed to be a really good one.  I was thinking of buying it- should I pass?

Folsom

Xbox 360
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:32 am »
FarCry could be a good Xbox game, as far as Xbox games go...

It will never touch the original. The Xbox is incapable of producing the amazing environment and game the PC had. Xbox 360 may get close, but the limitations will always hinder it.

They changed the main characters voice which is like changing the Cyborg Marine you play in Halo into a Care Bear.

If you are lazy…. Stay the hell away from Counter Strike Source. I became sickly addicted to it at one point when I had nothing to do for a few months.

I will always consider PC to rain over console until…. Console’s run in good HD, have a keyboard and mouse, have console abilities, alt+tab-ing among a few other things.

Oops I got the name wrong for FarCry, oh well Basic Instinct, Instinct, and Insult all work for me.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox 360
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:37 am »
I'm curious to see the Xbox 360 running on an HD set.  I've seen it look good in the store, but my brother just has a crummy old 27" set.  It doesn't even have component input! :o   Even so it looks good.  Maybe he'll let me hook it up to my 32 inch Toshiba to see how it looks.

I'm planning to buy an HD set in the 30-32" range for my bedroom soon, mostly for gaming with the occasional football game.  Then perhaps I'll get my own '360.  There might even be a few good games out for it by then.

The PC may hold the power edge, but I like to game on a big TV, with a controller, and sitting in a comfy chair.  I'm hunched over the keyboard enough as it is just spamming all my favorite forums. :lol:

Folsom

Xbox 360
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2006, 10:46 am »
The regular Xbox on HD at any resolution is such a huge step up.... It makes the difference between hard to identify stuff and clearly shaped figured with detail. You will be impressed I am sure with Xbox 360 on a HDTV.

Are you married? I ask because if she has a sister... Xbox 360 and football in the bedroom, I can only imagine the plush heaven you are in, in which case!

PC has so much more than the power edge..... Tweak ability and control are HUGE on the list. If they had the best Halo players in the world vs. even mediocre Counter Strike Cal players.... It would be such a slaughter fest the Halo kids would cry.

rbrb

Xbox 360
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2006, 05:30 pm »
I do understand that reviews are just someone's opinion but some people think the X-Box version of Far Cry is better than the PC version...
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/farcry/review.html?sid=6134706

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Xbox 360
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2006, 03:24 am »
I have to say that with XBox Live! you do get to play with others and it is a blast (unless you have to mute some timmys). Chatting, voice and text messaging, scoreboards, etc. It is a big step beyond single player.

With a huge screen and sweet HT audio, I imagine it will feel like jacking into the matrix when you sit down to play.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox 360
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2006, 05:03 am »
Nope- no 'ball and chain' for me. :)   I've been divorced since '93 and am smart enough not to do it again. :lol:

mcrespo71

Xbox 360
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2006, 11:29 pm »
I think that the Xbox 360 run into a normal analog set is not that much better than the Xbox in the graphics department.  My brother in law has one running into his old 50 inch projection TV and it was underwhelming.  It's like Xbox 1.5, but seeing it run on HD in the store is another animal completely.  Much better graphically, though the launch games all pretty much suck except for PGR3 and Perfect Dark Zero.

Michael

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox 360
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2006, 11:45 pm »
I think PDZero is underwhelming, too.  There's no 'killer app' yet, but there will be in time.  A new '360 KotOR or HALO would sell me on the new machine. 8)

rbrb

Xbox 360
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2006, 12:21 am »
Here is an article that compares the PQ of X-Box games running on a X-Box vs. the same game running on the 360.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6140654/index.html