Luxman DA-06 DAC

I.Greyhound Fan

Luxman DA-06 DAC
« on: 21 Jun 2015, 01:12 am »
I got my Luxman DA-06 today.  Right off the bat it sounds great, I can't wait till it breaks in. It is extremely analog sounding. It is smooth, liquid, musical and has just the right amount of warmth. There is no glare, harshness or digital edge. It clearly is not a Sabre based DAC so if you are looking for that false clean crispness, this is not the DAC for you. The midrange has weight, depth and transparency. I am surprised that more people don't own this DAC. It is a perfect match for my system. It even reduces ssssibilantsss.  Bass is tight, powerful and deep.  Vocals sound natural and are just minimally forward.  The sound stage is wide with good air.  Cymbals sound natural and detailed.  There is excellent spacing between instruments.

Right now I am listening the Power Of One by Paul de Benedicts from my CDP via digital coax. The piano is so natural sounding. The notes have fullness and air at the same time. I wish that I did not have to work the next 5 days or I would be planted in my sofa drinking wine and listening my music collection. 

I briefly had the Marantz NA-11s1 and the new Cary Audio 200t and this DAC is in another league.

More later,

Larry

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Luxman DA-06 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2015, 11:29 am »
Yes, do follow-up.

And for us lazy dudes, some details on the DAC itself please (price, size, formats, operating features).

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2015, 11:52 am »
Looking forward to hearing more, as you and the unit gel.

I'd be interested to learn about the associated gear too, that helps me with context.

Sounds like a happy user, which is always the goal!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2015, 12:07 pm »
My amp is a Pass X250, Preamp-BAT VK-51se, Speakers-Magnepan 1.6's, Transport-Music Hall CDP 25.2.  I have about 4 hours on the DAC and the sound stage is opening up more and bass is becoming tighter and there is more thump.  The sound is very analog and sounds like my Vinyl with more detail.  It is very intoxicating.  I will give another update after about 20 hours of play time.  I have yet to try usb and computer.  I have a couple of days off later in the week to give that a go.  I have to say that the DAC sounds just like these 3 pro reviews-

http://www.audiostream.com/content/luxman-da-06-usb-da-converter

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/525-luxman-da-06-dac-review/

http://www.stereophile.com/content/luxman-da-06-da-processor

The build quality is excellent and has a high end feel to it, typical of Luxman as I have an old T-110 Luxman Tuner.   It weighs about 28 pounds or so.  The buttons and knobs are all metal and have a heavy feel to them.  There is no play in them and the selector knob clicks in with a substantial click.  The aluminum face plate is thick and there is no plastic any where to be found.  It has usb, spdif x2, tosalink inputs and XLR and RCA outs.  It plays 32/384 and Double DSD.  No remote.

It lists new for $6000 but can be had for $5000.  I bought it direct from Japan for $2700 and $140 shipping.  It works off the Japanese 100v.  They sent me a free step down voltage converter 120 to 100v.  It works flawlessly.  It arrived in 2 days.  It was sent out on 6/18 and it arrived on 6/20 here in Minnesota.  I bought it with a free return policy and via Ebay and Pay Pal so it is covered if it was not in good condition or if it did not arrive. I have bought other gear such as my Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge direct from Japan with out any problems.

Regards,

Larry
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2015, 09:27 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »