NX-Studios - I wrecked them

Beerbellydad

NX-Studios - I wrecked them
« on: 8 Nov 2023, 05:03 pm »
My system is dual-use, theater and 2-channel. Signal passes through a Freya in passive mode at full volume when watching media but takes over preamp duties with tubes engaged when listening to music. The switchover to "music mode" isn't any more complicated than the series of buttons that y'all push to get your systems working, but it does include the critical step of turning down the volume to reasonable levels before switching inputs.

The White Stripes woke the house last night when I errantly found out what my gear sounds like at maximum volume - a bourbon-fueled mistake. The tweeters seem OK, but the NQ drivers looked, um, prolapsed  :duh: and both speakers rattle now. I guess some new drivers are in my future  :cry:

Phil A

Re: NX-Studios - I wrecked them
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2023, 05:28 pm »
Sorry to hear about the mishap.  That's one of the reasons for many years I use a (2-channel) preamp with HT Bypass (and I have a 2-channel amp to drive the left and right speakers).  That way, when I listen to music it is as normal (and I have a tubed preamp).  When I watch movies the receiver's volume control is used.  At one point I actually had multiple preamps (I used one in a secondary system) with HT Bypass.  I now have a secondary 2-channel system and although it doesn't see tons of use it is quite simple with an amp and a DAC with volume control.  When I use a secondary HT system, I just use it for HT.

AKLegal

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2023, 05:40 pm »
You are brave for running your setup like that. Before completely separating my 2-channel system from HT, I used a Goldpoint switch in front of my amps with one input being the AVR and the other being the 2 channel preamp. Purists might hate the idea of another piece of equipment being in the chain but I truly heard no degradation.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2023, 05:46 pm »
Why not just  use the Freya  for HT duty?

Beerbellydad

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2023, 06:29 pm »
Why not just  use the Freya  for HT duty?
I let the receiver do HT work for multi-channel

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2023, 07:48 pm »
Sorry to hear about the mishap.  That's one of the reasons for many years I use a (2-channel) preamp with HT Bypass (and I have a 2-channel amp to drive the left and right speakers).  That way, when I listen to music it is as normal (and I have a tubed preamp).  When I watch movies the receiver's volume control is used.

When I used my front speakers for dual duty, I was even more cautious than Phil. I kept both HT and audio systems completely separate -- to switch from HT to audio or vice-versa, they each had their own set of speaker cables.   

VinceT

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2023, 08:28 pm »
I just use my AVR outs as a source into the amp.  I have to switch cables to use my TT etc but it's not too bad. The DAC on my AVR isn't too bad actually for just streaming music for the family.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2023, 08:40 pm »
For the last 15 years I have had a similar setup and even though I am just as careful as you are music blasts out at almost full volume at least once a year. I did it again just last week by switching inputs before turning down the volume. Luckily my drivers can take the blast, no harm done but it sure is loud.

This won't be your last time blasting music or blowing drivers if you keep the NX-Studios. A pre-amp with HT Bypass will be your cheapest solution. Speakers that can handle that load get real expensive.

A new pre-amp should be priority #1. The Stereo Gods have given you a friendly warning, ignore them at your own peril. People here can make suggestions within your budget.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2023, 08:50 pm »
That's a bummer to hear. (Sorry, bad pun  :duh:) I would imagine the resistors on the tweeter circuit helped save them in the incident, but it sounds like the driver received the full force. Luckily it is an easy to replace item that is readily available, unlike if it were a mass produced speaker with no replacement parts.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2023, 08:52 pm »
Sell all your HT gear and use the $$ to set up much better 2 channel equipment.  Your music system will be better and your HT experience will be better.  This is what I did in my HT. 

SRP SRP

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2023, 09:02 pm »
For me, the way the Studios center image, I can’t imagine the need for a center channel. Although my experience with HT is limited.

My girlfriend once asked if there was a speaker in the middle.  :)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2023, 09:53 pm »
I also use a 2 channel preamp with an HT by-pass input. My 2 channel preamp has six inputs and anyone of them can be configured for HT by-pass. The L&R outputs from the AV pre/pro are connected to the HT by-pass input channel of the 2 channel preamp. As previously mentioned, with music, the 2 channel preamp controls the volume. With TV/movies, the AV pre/pro controls the volume.

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2023, 10:30 pm »
Question.  Do y'all have mute buttons on yer fancy schmancy HT rigs.  I'll have to do an inventory but I'm pretty sure all my 2 channel preamps have it too.  Some even have it on the remote control.

Just yankin' yer collective chains.  I rarely get blasted on the 2 channel systems but switching inputs on my Anthem prepro can be a bit problematic as there is a big difference between, say, the Optical input for sound from the TV to the FM radio input.  Radio is much louder.

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2023, 10:37 pm »
Sell all your HT gear and use the $$ to set up much better 2 channel equipment.  Your music system will be better and your HT experience will be better.  This is what I did in my HT.

Boy, I'm glad you said it 'cause I was thinking it. Unless you have plenty of disposable income to dump into both HT and 2-channel, one awesome system is better than two mediocre systems.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2023, 11:16 pm »
I have 2 channel setup for TV use, with a sub - and want for nothing for watching TV.  I'm glad HT isn't one thing I have a rash about.  One other benefit of 2 channel for TV is being able to play with various bookshelf speakers.  It's especially helpful if the replacement pair looks similar to the previous pair... "in case she notices"...  :lol:

VinceT

« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2023, 11:20 pm »
For me, the way the Studios center image, I can’t imagine the need for a center channel. Although my experience with HT is limited.

My girlfriend once asked if there was a speaker in the middle.  :)

4.1 surround, I don't know why Danny bothers with center channels...lol

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #16 on: 8 Nov 2023, 11:31 pm »
4.1 surround, I don't know why Danny bothers with center channels...lol

The center channel speakers are for turning on their side for 2 channel use with a sub... and being one of the best kept secrets.

NoahH

« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2023, 03:21 am »
I am solidly in both the "forget surround sound" and "forget center channel" camps.

My listening room / theater has 12.2 sound - basically a 13 channel ht with 2 subs and no center. I have never missed the center, but I have also rarely felt the surround or overhead effects added anything meaningful. If I did it over, I would put the HT budget into yet more 2 channel gear.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #18 on: 9 Nov 2023, 04:09 am »
The center channel speakers are for turning on their side for 2 channel use with a sub... and being one of the best kept secrets.

Yup.  I regret selling my X-CSs.  I liked them better than X-LS due to a bit more midbass and power handling.  That said I have rediscovered my X-SLS over the last couple of years and they’re great too!  I know there are better, more resolving speakers out there than the X-series but they really are a stunning value.  :thumb:

Presb4

« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2023, 07:09 pm »
I agree with many of you that 2CH is great for HT.
I use to have a 5.1 system but retired it a few years back with a good 2CH system after I used it for HT use one night. I found I wasn't missing much and saved on space and complications when the wife or kids happen into our Den and say "How to I turn and or switch this over again". Now its one system to turn on and use.