Cartridge Alignment Tools, Facts and Fiction, A White Paper by Wayner

Wayner

I have been designing products for more then 30 years spending most of my time in the lighting industry and a few years in the suspension (for hard-disc drive) industry. I have had an intense interest in audio in general, but really got into vinyl as a young lad spending lawn mowing money on my first turntable, an AR-XA.

From that point I was hooked. As time went forward, I began to merge my designing interest with the turntable geometry, as it really intrigued me. I knew that the LP master was cut on a linear arm so the 45/45 degree grooves were always perpendicular to the center point of the spindle, but here we are, running an arcing tone arm across the face of the record.

As I grew older, I realized that my concerns were shared by others as linear tracking tone arms soon appeared in the market place. But the cost of these arms was out of reach for many, and I always wondered about the new type of error these arms would encounter. The cutting arms on a mastering lathe must certainly cost thousands of dollars; I just didn't see how these new style arms could perform at a fraction of the cost.

Time passes by again and I discovered two fellows named Baerwald and Loefgren. Both of these gentlemen also realized the problem of running an arm that makes an arc thru a record that was cut straight on a lathe. Both came up with some pretty impressive formulas and ultimately settled on the what must have been the best geometry for the arm to produce the least amount of tracking error and tracking distortion. Though their numbers are slightly different for slightly different reasons, they both ended up pretty much in the same conclusion.

Several companies have developed alignment cards based on these two men's geometry and have created the 2 point alignment card based on the null points (where the stylus is in perfect alignment with the record groove). The user was to align a feature of the cartridge body, usually the front, with provided lines to position the stylus. The user then believed his cartridge was properly aligned for optimum performance.
Fiction: The realization.

One day I decided to start laying out the geometry from the known specifications for the perfect arm using my CAD software. Baerwald's numbers were 228.6mm overall length (stylus to tone arm pivot center), 18.173mm for the overhang (distance from stylus to platter spindle centerline) and 24.128 degree offset angle. This resulted in 2 null points occurring at 65.9mm and 120.8mm producing and average RMS distortion of .431%.

Loefgren chose a different overhang of 18.690mm which changed the null points to 70.2mm and 116.6mm producing an average RMS distortion of .388%

Here is the fundamental problem. Unless your turntable/tone arm combination matches 228.6mm overall length with a 18.173mm overhang, you cannot achieve the null point position with the proper offset angle.

As examples of this, I laid out the parameters of the Empire 598 mk II turntable. I then set the positions of the Baerwald null point locations into the geometry. Yes, you can get the stylus to fit on both spots, but here is what happened. At the outer null point of 120.8mm, the measured offset angle was 24.248 degrees. Not the same as the original numbers, but I thought with the different spacing, the angle would change, hoping that the second null point angle would be the same. When I measured the second angle at the inner null point location at 65.9 degrees, the angle changed to 24.278 degrees! We have a problem and it's geometrical.

I then did the geometry for a Technics SL-1200 mk II. At the outer null point the measured offset angle was 22.509 degrees, but the inner null point was a whopping 21.302 degrees! That was even worse!

Baerwald?s Geometry
(Upper Dimension in English,
Lower Dimension in Millimeters)
        This was proving my point that there really isn't such a thing as a universal alignment protractor as the geometry simply cannot support the theory. How did this happen? I believe that those involved didn't really understand the geometry at all. They simply new that there were null points and if they set the cartridge to those positions all would be good. This is simply a matter of not understanding geometry, and with my many years of experience using CAD, I knew that the answer had to be something different.

Empire 598 mk II Geometry
(Respecting Empire's Overhang)
          While the Empire's angles are not that far off, the fact that they are different proves that the change in distance between the pivot and the spindle has an ever increasing effect on the null point locations, or that there was a lack of support for the currently accepted null point locations.

Technics SL-1200 mkII Geometry
(Respecting Technics Overhang)
        By the time the Technics's geometry was laid out, the problem was more then obvious.

Now that we know we have a problem, what are we to do? Fear not, a solution is at hand. There are several null point calculators out there on the internet, and I?m sure if you ask your table's manufacturer, they will tell you the null points for their particular arm/table combination. If your one of the lucky ones that has an arm with an adjustable base, you can dial it right into the Baerwald's or Loefgren's numbers.

For the rest of us with fixed arms, there is only one thing to do. Find your null points for your arm geometry. To do this, there are 3 things to know about your particular set-up. First is the distance from the turntable spindle to the tone arm pivot center. Second, you need to know the overhang or distance from the stylus tip to the turntable spindle center. And last, you need to know the offset angle.

One of my favorite null point calculators is offered free by www.enjoythemusic.com. This is a wonderful tool and I thank them for offering it to the vinyl community. This tool is Excel based and all you have to do is plug in the values for your table and it will give you a distortion curve and the location for your null points. You may try varying the overhang and offset angles in small steps to find your best location.

The results for the Empire turntable put the inner null point at 66.6 degrees, and the outer null point at 120.1 degrees for an average RMS distortion of .419% which is lower then Baerwald?s numbers.

The results for the Technics put the inner null point at 58.8 millimeters and the outer null point at 113.5 millimeters for an average RMS distortion of .536%, still in an acceptable range.

Of course, these numbers can be played with a little by varying the overhang if your arm allows it and by changing the offset angle. The object is a low number for average RMS distortion.

In conclusion, the purpose of setting the cartridge is two fold, first for correct tracking and sound and more importantly, to reduce record wear. The examples shown here prove that the standard 2 point alignment systems in use today are flawed, and may not give you the best results with your particular table/arm combination. Perhaps this explanation has shed new light onto your understanding of tone arm geometry and how critical all of the factors are governing proper stylus placement and angularity.
 Happy Spinning!

Art_Chicago

man, I have not read yet, but I feel it is gonna be gooood  :thumb:

aln

These are the kind of articles that make this circle worth while.  Thank you! 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Good work Wayner.   :thumb:

P.S.  You should put this in the Vinyl Circle as well. 

avahifi

I posted a link to this topic at the Vinyl Circle this morning.

Good suggestion.

Frank Van Alstine

vinylengine

Sorry, I edited my original post as re-reading your paper I seem to have missed your point  :oops:

Are you just saying that the Baerwald (Loefrgren A) null points can't be aligned to while using the manufacturers original overhang figure?

If so there's a simple reason for this, the manufacturer's overhang figure isn't relevant to any other alignment method. When you use a simple Baerwald two-point protractor to align at the marked null points the overhang and offset angle are set to Baerwald calculations.

For example, to align a Technics arm to Baerwald null points you have to move the cartridge forward in the headshell and twist it to achieve the desired effective length/offset angle to align at both points.

You are right that you can't mix and match a manufacturers alignment geometry with any other - if you want to keep the original overhang and keep the cartridge square in the headshell then you should align as the manufacturer describes (or change the mounting distance). If you want to try an alignment with lower tracing error you should disregard the manufacturers overhang and move the cartridge so that it aligns to the points on the chosen protractor.

Regards,
JaS

PS in Graeme F Dennes paper on tonearm geometry he found that Baerwald, Stevenson, Seagrave and Kessler and Pisha equations are all mathematically identical to those found in Loefgren's original work while a professor at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm. The null points you get by applying Baerwald's equation to IEC groove radii are exactly the same as those that you would get from using the Loefgren A equation.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 06:31 pm by vinylengine »

BobM

Thanks Wayne. I recently tried the "Guru" method of alignment (http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/GuruSetUp.pdf) and although everything sounds good I can detect that it doesn't quite sound as good in the outer groover (first song) ans the inner groove (last song). Quite the opposite of what most people experience.

So Wayne, my effective length is 230mm with a spindle to pivot of 212mm and an overhang of 18mm and offset angle of 24 degrees. I've used the enjoy the Music spreadsheet and found my optimal Baerwold null points. Now how do I get this onto a piece of paper so that I can use it in a practical manner (without using a CAD program)?

Wayner

vinylengine,

Huh? My friend, they are all relative to the geometry. What I'm saying and I'll repeat myself, if your tonearm/table combination doesn't match the exact lengths concerning pivot center to spindle center, overhang or offset angle of Baerwald's, Loefgrens, or who ever, you can't use their repective null points, You geometrically can't get there. These aren't some magical points, they are the two points inwhich the stylus, at that particular angle will be totally and perfectly aligned with the record groove. They can happen almost anywhere. It all depends on your tables specifications. The problem is, if your specs start going in bad directions, the distortion curve starts going up. All of these guys came up with their numbers by calculating which specifications for a tonearm would give you the best possible distortion/tracking error. Unfortunately almost no one paid any attention to the distances when they started designing turntable with tonearms.

If your tonearm/table geometry is different, you have to use the calculator or a CAD to determine the new null points. Your distortion will probably be higher then Baerwald's or Loefgren's.

BobM, soon my lad, all will come to light.

Wayner  :D

vinylengine

Huh? My friend, they are all relative to the geometry. What I'm saying and I'll repeat myself, if your tonearm/table combination doesn't match the exact lengths concerning pivot center to stylus center, overhang or offset angle of Baerwald's, Loefgrens, or who ever, you can't use their repective null points, You geometrically can't get there.

OK, but let's take your example above of the Technics SL-1200.

This tonearm has a mounting distance of 215mm and as we know, for that distance there is only one effective length/overhang/offset angle that will align with IEC Baerwald null points:

Mounting distance: 215mm
Effective length: 232.817mm
Overhang: 17.817mm
Offset angle: 23.664 degrees

Your example above shows that the Technics overhang is too short as the measured offset angle is wrong.

However, if you push the cartridge just 3mm further forward in the headshell increasing the overhang to 17.817mm you now have a tonearm with 215mm mounting distance and an effective length of 232.817mm. Half way there!

Now to fix any offset error you twist the cartridge in the headshell so that stylus is offset from the line of the headshell, giving the correct angle between the cantilever and the imaginary line between the pivot point and the stylus.

This sounds terribly complicated but simply aligning the cartridge in the headshell so that the cantilever is tangential with the grooves when set on both null points of a Baerwald protractor sets all of these variables. If you have room in your headshell to align to both points (not all do) then you have aligned to Baerwald geometry. Simple :)

If your tonearm/table geometry is different, you have to use the calculator or a CAD to determine the new null points

I calculated the original null points for arms where data is available in my tonearm database some years ago, but as you said in your original post you can play with overhang and offset angle - an arm with slotted headshell doesn't have fixed geometry (although there are limits).

Regards,
JaS

twitch54

Nice job Wayner.......shouldn't this added as a 'sticky' in the vinyl section ? maybe under 'vinyl tweekers'

Wayner

vinylengine,

Below is the lay out using your method. You will notice that the 2 angles at the 2 null points are not the same. This is my whole point. The fact is null point number 2 is further down the slope. I can't have my cartridge set at both angles, so which one should I choose.The real null point, if I pick the first angle is at 67.2mm, not Baerwald's 65.9mm position.

Now luck would have it that the Technics has a long enough slot to do this, however, there are other table/arm combinations that fail.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2009, 12:17 pm by Wayner »

Wayner

I also do suspect that there are other arm specifications that will fall into the Baerwald or Loefgren parimeters, but that is going to be with longer arms and probably who's geometry is in perfect ratios of the the Baerwald or Loefren numbers. That is in regard to null points only. The other way to think of it is that if I draw an arc and want to match that arc, I have to use the same center point. If I pick 2 points on an arc and change the center point, I  may be able to hit the 2 points, but with a shorter arc, the distortion curves will go off the chart. This is another reason why broadcast turntables usually had much longer arms, to lower the tracking distortion, the longer the arc, the more it starts to mimic a straight line.

BobM

Did you see the picture in the recent Stereophile (I think) of one of the shows where a TT manufacturer has created a monster with a violin or cellow bow for a tonearm? It's got to be excessively massive and hard to control in the vertical plane. Probably very little arc though (for all the good it would do on this beastie).

Wayner

No I didn't see that, Bob, But I can just imagine it. Isn't geometry fun?  :lol:

And I really do like vinylengines input. We are all (as John thechairguy calles it) vinylphools. The two point system has bothered me for some time. While it may be true that with some tables, you would be very, very close. But with others? It's kind of a one on one basis. The one thing that bothers me is that the one factor, the offset angle, is the most critical and the hardest to set.  :duh:

Go VIKES AND BRET FARVE!!!!!!!!

aa

vinylengine

Below is the lay out using your method. You will notice that the 2 angles at the 2 null points are not the same. This is my whole point. The fact is null point number 2 is further down the slope. I can't have my cartridge set at both angles, so which one should I choose.The real null point, if I pick the first angle is at 67.2mm, not Baerwald's 65.9mm position.
I can't take credit for the geometry (it's far older than me!) but I see your point :scratch:

Rather than being a problem with the arm geometry you are effectively saying their is a problem with Baerwald figures for that mounting distance as it's the only fixed part of the arms geometry?

Looking at your last image could you tell me where the 233.172 came from for the effective length? It looks closer to Loefgren B which may explain the shifted nulls? I make it 232.817mm for 215mm mounting distance and Baerwald IEC null points (65.998 and 120.981mm). Would you be able to plug those figures into the plot and read the resulting offset angles? It would be easier to explain an error in the figures than Loefgren's maths! It's enough to drive a man to use an overhang gauge and be done with it  :lol:

Regards,
JaS

vinylengine

The two point system has bothered me for some time. While it may be true that with some tables, you would be very, very close. But with others?

While the gauges do seem to work well on a variety of arms I think the biggest problem is the amount of adjustment you have if the original overhang/offset angle is way off. That's why we include Stevenson protractors on my site as with many older Japanese arms this is far easier to align to. At the bottom of Yosh's page he touches on this point:
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~yosh/armdata.htm

I also think manufacturers geometry is usually pretty good in practice. I find it difficult to hear the difference between Rega's standard geometry and the theoretically better Baerwald, but just throwing a cartridge on and hoping for the best can give audible distortion, especially towards the end of a record.

Regards,
JaS

Wayner

The slight difference is that I didn't carry the translation from english to metric to like 9 places!!! I'm close so I'm not going to screw with that tonight. I will take things to the nth degree tomorrow. It's beer o'clock and we are listening to the Cars! I do not fault Baerwald or Loefgren at all. They found the perfect arm specifications (in there own opinion's) for the "perfect arm". The manufacturer's of turntables are the ones that ignored the geometry, and here we all are trying to make things work with misfits!

Very good discussion! I really want to clear the air on this topic. Everyone will benefit when the understanding of all is far and wide, as opposed to stepping on some toes and the status quo.

WGH

Did you see the picture in the recent Stereophile (I think) of one of the shows where a TT manufacturer has created a monster with a violin or cellow bow for a tonearm? It's got to be excessively massive and hard to control in the vertical plane. Probably very little arc though (for all the good it would do on this beastie).

The tonearm is made from wood and is 60cm long! The Horo WJE 168, according to designer Luigi Pasqualini (shown), was designed as a "musical instrument" would be. The price has not yet been announced.

Here is a link to another photo:
http://www.soundstage2.com/avtour2009/he_dly08.html

orthobiz

JaS, cool to see you here! Vinylengine is one of my essential sites!

Paul

Brett Buck

The tonearm is made from wood and is 60cm long! The Horo WJE 168, according to designer Luigi Pasqualini (shown), was designed as a "musical instrument" would be.

Man, there's some strange ideas in audio.

Brett