Do you think placing a subwoofer directly behind an HT3 is a bad idea?

yooper

Recently, due to some upgrades and a small room (have room treatment), I moved the sub from the front wall to a short side wall which has an opening to the kitchen, and found the placement of the sub to not sound ideal.

I use the sub for HT, but always run the HT3's full range for two channel (direct) listening, which shuts the Velodyne off.

My thoughts are, because the HT3's are rear ported and need breathing room, I assume placing the sub behind the tower (an inch or two from touching) would be a bad idea, especially for critical two channel listening since the tower's ports are essentially blocked?

koiman

Yooper,
I have a question are you not getting a sufficent amount of bass from your HT3's or are you just interested in complimenting the Salk's, I have my Salk HT3's set up and I get a huge amount of bass out of the 10in. woofers and it is crisp and clean, Just curious.
Lee :D

ctviggen

I think he's only using the sub for home theater.  I would try it and see what happens.  Can you increase the distance a few inches between the sub and the port?

yooper

koiman,

Just interested in complimenting the Salk's.  This particular sub has eight adjustable bands allowing one to adjust frequency response, measured and digitally corrected in real-time via a microphone.  So this works well with keeping the lower frequency's in check in my listening room.

ctviggen,

I can pull the Salk's out a bit more if need be.  My ears are about 8 feet from the towers, while the towers are the same distance apart as my head is from each tower, completing an equal triangle. 

I'll give it a try.

Thanks

ctviggen

Are you going to use the sub to supplement the Salks?  If so, you might consider putting the sub between the Salks.  I've found that I can localize a sub relatively easily.  I would definitely try moving the sub around, along with the speakers.  I would hazard a guess that a few inches is all you should need between the port and the sub (though I recommend during the testing phase turning off the sub; this way, you can determine whether the sound is screwed up due to the port or not; if you have the sub on, you have two variables and it'll be hard to determine what's going on).

yooper

Thanks Bob,

Due to space limitations, I can't put the sub between the Salk's.  Here is an image showing my poor room. 

The area I am referring to is behind the LF speaker.  Just to the left of that area is an opening leading to a laundyroom and bathroom, and further to the left is a few steps which lead to the  open kitchen area.  So, unfortunately, I cant move it any further.

texas steve

Recently, due to some upgrades and a small room (have room treatment), I moved the sub from the front wall to a short side wall which has an opening to the kitchen, and found the placement of the sub to not sound ideal.

I use the sub for HT, but always run the HT3's full range for two channel (direct) listening, which shuts the Velodyne off.

My thoughts are, because the HT3's are rear ported and need breathing room, I assume placing the sub behind the tower (an inch or two from touching) would be a bad idea, especially for critical two channel listening since the tower's ports are essentially blocked?

Below is a picture of my set up with HT3s and HTC (behind the perferated screen).  The big sub on the right (Muse 18) is for LFE only, and the one on the right is to agument the center.  It has worked perfectly.

texas steve

Damn, nice place dude.

Thanks, it difficult to keep things "wife frendly"!  I have finally got her to allow me to take of the tweeter/mid grills on the HT3s!  Took 6 months of "work"!!