CAM or SAM (with a sub)?

pedalhead

CAM or SAM (with a sub)?
« on: 25 May 2018, 08:32 am »
Hi all.  I've been lurking here for quite a while & it's time to finally ask a question :-).

I'm considering a new pair of CAMs or SAMs for my living room system & I'm wondering if I'd be missing out on anything by going with the CAMs over the SAMs if I'm using a subwoofer? I'm thinking either the deepOMEGA 8 or another 8" sub, something fast & tight primarily for music playback.  From what I've read on here, I think the SAMs and CAMs sound very similar but the bass rolloff is understandably a bit lower with the SAMs, which I figure will be a non-issue with the presence of a sub.  My room measures 13ft x 12ft, with a 5ft opening into a 10ft x 9ft dining room.

I'd appreciate any thoughts please.  Cheers! Mark.

peckjed

Re: CAM or SAM (with a sub)?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2018, 01:51 pm »
I can't directly speak to the SAM, but I own the SAM HO monitors and they benefit greatly from the Omega sub. While in some instances it has ENOUGH bass, some music lacks the appropriate low end (ex. hip hop and some upright bass music) and is perfectly filled in by the Omega sub. I would imagine this would be applicable for both CAM and SAM. The alnico drivers are an absolute delight too, very rich and detailed. Personally, I would go with the SAM because I like the box it comes in better, but you'll likely be very happy with either you choose, but definitely get the sub!

pedalhead

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2018, 02:09 pm »
Thanks, good info. My current floorstanders go pretty low so I know I'd miss the LF extension if I didn't go for a sub. Omega speakers are (understandably) quite pricey here in the UK, so the £500 saving with the CAM over the SAM is a big factor, though I agree the SAM definitely looks better (at the expense of versatility in positioning I suppose).

peckjed

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2018, 03:09 pm »
What speakers are you currently running? I went from B&W CM9's to Omega and it was an incredible, eyeopening experience.

pedalhead

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2018, 03:23 pm »
I'm currently using Audio Physic Tempo 25 speakers but want to downsize a bit. I also already have a low wattage tube amp that'll play nicely with a pair of Omegas.

guf

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2018, 04:05 pm »
I'm currently using a pair of HOSams as well but after a few different sets of Omega speakers. I'm thinking of adding a CAMs to another system where bass is not as crucial. I would add a sub. I would think with the sub the cams would be totally fine. With all that said the SAMs I had were my favorite speakers ever at the time..... and what turned me on to Omega speakers. Sometimes would have my Rythmik 12 in sub off and didn't notice. The magic is in the driver and you are getting that with the CAMs. I vote for those. 

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2018, 04:17 pm »
I own three pair of Omega speakers, Original Super 3 (wide baffle, RS5 driver), Super 3HO Monitor, and SAM.  I have used them with both low power solid state (<30wpc) and SET.

Of the three the SAM is the "best" for what it does.  I have used it solo in a small room and coupled with stereo Rythmik subwoofers.  The improvement from additional bass support is not subtle.  But I am using very "fast" stereo woofer modules crossed over at 200hz driven by 600 wpc.

I can compare the Super 3 single driver with the Super 3HO.  The dual driver model adds additional midbass weight, but does not add significant additional deep bass.  The big surprise is my oldest and ugliest (sorry Louis) speaker, the wide baffle super 3 with a RS5 driver retrofit.  It gives me almost as much midbass as the dual driver model (with my amplification) while offering to my ears superior clarity of a single driver.  It runs out of steam due to the limitations of the 4" driver, but I remain amazed at the size of the sound and the bass coming from this speaker.  It is really a slightly smaller scale Super 3 XRS.

I have also had the chance to compare the Super 3 with the Super 3U.  The latter is the same cabinet volume as the Super 3XRS in a stand mount.  While the Super 3U sounded fuller than the Super 3, the difference is subtle.  I would not choose the larger cabinet over the smaller one in a stand mount, especially if I were going to use subwoofers.  I would imagine the difference between the CAM and SAM to be similar to that between the Super 3 and Super 3U.  For my money the smaller speaker works out better.

Another option is a "Junior Six XRS".  This is effectively a smaller XRS speaker using the alnico driver and would likely give you better bass than the SAM wihout needing stands.  I don't know the price but looking at the price list one can guess at the range.

One option I haven't had the courage to explore is to see if Louis would make a Alnico speaker in a Super 3 XRS cabinet.  The cabinet volume is identical to the CAM, it does not require stands, and it would give you the boundary gain from being closer to the floor.  The Super 3XRS has a shockingly big sound - the Alnico driver would make it even more so.

roscoe65

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2018, 01:09 pm »
I checked my attic storage and confirmed that my Super 3 HO (similar size as CAM) ships with both speakers in a single box.  The SAM ships with a single speaker in each of two boxes (that are about the same size as the single Super 3 HO box).  For those on other continents, this can mean a significant difference in shipping costs.  Even if shipping costs are not a great concern, those of us with limited space can appreciate the reduced storage burden.